Poll: Teen sues school over "wigger day"

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Lionsfan said:
B-Rye said:
I'm not ripping on them for not making a mistake, I clearly said that I think they should focus on more relevant issues.
They are though, since that 3 paragraph article nothing else has come out about the case, there hasn't been a followup, it was a bit piece and it's over with, they did their job and reported the news. What are they supposed to do, just ignore it?

Baneat said:
Fox are quite sensational in their reports, and based on the idea that a school would have to be astoundingly stupid and the "75K" "Damages" fee, that I think there's probably more to this story that would weaken the stance
How is it being sensational when everyone else is saying the exact same freaking thing!
Not this one. In general. It seems too retarded to be the whole story given in that report. Maybe it's not, I merely said excercise caution, k?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Baneat said:
Not this one. In general. It seems too retarded to be the whole story given in that report. Maybe it's not, I merely said excercise caution, k?
Caution is never bad, I guess we'll probably hear more once the case actually goes to court (I doubt the school is going to settle Out of Court)

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
Kargathia said:
I'm sure that in some mind the whole let's-get-people-closer thing might've sounded like a good idea, but I still rather suggest making it purple, and not black.

This was just asking for a lawsuit.

A lawsuit that is, frankly, rather ridiculous, but I'm not one to criticise anyone who sees her chance to cash in. It's pretty good business sense right there.
The legal mechanisms of our society is not supposed to be a business. This seems to me to be a blatant abuse of the mechanisms in place to protect us for personal gain. Any and all criticism is fair game, because this is loathsome from a civics point of view.

On the other hand, dumbass school is dumbass.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
P.Tsunami said:
Kargathia said:
I'm sure that in some mind the whole let's-get-people-closer thing might've sounded like a good idea, but I still rather suggest making it purple, and not black.

This was just asking for a lawsuit.

A lawsuit that is, frankly, rather ridiculous, but I'm not one to criticise anyone who sees her chance to cash in. It's pretty good business sense right there.
The legal mechanisms of our society is not supposed to be a business. This seems to me to be a blatant abuse of the mechanisms in place to protect us for personal gain. Any and all criticism is fair game, because this is loathsome from a civics point of view.

On the other hand, dumbass school is dumbass.
It's an action ethically and morally reprehensible, sure. But as long as that I'm pretty sure I'd happily game the system as well I'm not going to mount the moral high horse.

Shakespeario

May 20, 2010
Would Black face Fridays be expectable? Crazy Chinese-sy Mondays? Do these people know what that word means? White N*****. Sorry, I know it's juvenile but I didn't want to write the racial slur out, because that word is offensive. Meaning a day using that word to suggest that when white people do this they are acting like something so foreign and bad that they need another word to make it okay. To make the other word less disgusting- how about white! That'll make it perfectly okay. That student has every right to exercise his rights to protest and for free speech to fight this. And before some one who has no idea what free speech is- it isn't the right to be offensive. It's the right to disagree with others (usually the majority) and express your ideas as you see fit. Ostracizing, offending, and I feel threatening the way of life for one student because the rest of them are fine with it is absolutely not exercising free speech. It's tantamount to a hate rally.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Imperator_DK said:
And with that, I declare the case of "Retards versus Golddigger" to be in session.
Pretty much. I can see a judge waggling his finger at the school board and saying some not nice things, but 75k because someone got offended? Please. Stereotypical actions such as this is the reason why things like 'wigger day' even exist.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
I'm kinda on the fence with this. I understand why the girl would be upset, I am unsure of how man people actually know how the word 'wigger' came to be, but it should be pretty obvious. I think it is the name that kinda makes me see her side winning this case.

I do think that it is in bad taste to have a school promote stereotypes in such a manner.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
pubbing said:
Now I am not one to really be politically correct or get into a big huff over racial issues but hosting an event like this at a public school seems pretty fucking stupid to me.
Agreed. There is no way a school can justify something like this. If it was an initiative by students, it would be a sick joke and you school should get a slap on the wrist for not doing anything, but now, they'll have to pay up big time.

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
I spoke before on this thread, but I thought I would drop in again. This was my old High School, I did some digging and found out that the school didn't condone anything. The moment a teacher or other faculty member caught someone dressing like that they sent them to change their clothes. It was just a bunch of dumb kids, and not even a majority of the students did it.

What the student is complaining about is that the school didn't really do much more than that, or that they said they would and they didn't or something a little dumb. She's making it sound like the school is the one to blame, but all they was try and put a stop to it. She sure seems grateful for that.