Poll: Teen sues school over "wigger day"

commiedic

Sep 2, 2010
Which way is civilization heading? Forwards or backwards. Every time I see things like this I get confused on the subject.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
The simple fact that students at the school didn't react to "wigger day" like
well, it makes me do

not that I think suing the school is a good answer...

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
they shouldn't have hosted a day like that, but 75,000 dollars? seriously? you greedy bastard! there is no way the school has harmed you in such a way that they owe you 75k. I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

B-Rye

Jan 19, 2010
dyre said:
B-Rye said:
dyre said:
pretty stupid decision on part of the school. I expect they'll reach some kind of settlement in which the school admits wrongdoing but doesn't pay much in damages

B-Rye said:
I'm not ripping on them for not making a mistake, I clearly said that I think they should focus on more relevant issues.
Not a fan of FOX either, but they don't seem to be focusing much on it to me, at least not according to their site. The main front page article is about Syria, and the main US page article is about Warren Jeffs.

It just looks like a minor article to me, and calling out a school for its retardedly offensive "holiday" seems like decent reporting for me.
I noticed that also. Nothing is wrong with this article at all, but my humble opinion remains that they are giving this the time of day (no matter how little) when that same energy put into this article could have been used to shed light on other issues that deal with issues of today, not a case dealing with the personal grievances of an individual regarding events from over a year ago.

I know a news agency is supposed to maximize output and following, and they are doing their job. I just think other issues deserve focus.

Sure, we and anyone else talking about this article are the only ones likely aware of it, and we're spending our time debating the merits of the issue, the case itself, and whether or not this is relevant from a journalism standpoint. Imagine if this forum was a discussion about say raising the debt level, wall street controversy, etc (regardless of where we stand on those issues).

I sort of see this discussion entering the roundabout, but there it is.
But the suit was filed last week, so that makes it news. And I'm sure the article is quite relevant to some people (albeit probably not the kind of people who read or watch FOX), who may be similarly offended. Seriously, how offensive does it need to be for you to consider it news? Does the private school have to segregate bathrooms or something?

As for news organizations having to report only "important" issues, you're using impossibly idealistic standards, not relative ones. Name one news organization in which EVERY article is of a worthy and important topic.

I'm not sure what you're getting at regarding imagining if the forum was about raising the debt level (and why would it be? we already raised it :p). Seems like it would a pretty boring forum compared to a forum about gaming-and-other-stuff.

FOX sucks, but this seems like selective hatred to me. Btw, CNN also reported on it.
Yes the case was filed last week, but the event the case regards happened over a year ago. I am not going to let my standards be open for discussion here. As for a news agency that exists that reports every worthy and important topic, there is none. That does not need pointing out. All I do is just look at multiple sources for what I care about (important is subjective after all). I never have said I hated Fox News, nor do I actually hate them. They add to the variety of news agencies I read from. Do not mistake anger for hatred. Both are spawned from similar emotional/mental energies, but one is constructive the other is destructive, I'll leave it up to anyone who reads this to figure out which is which. As for CNN reporting about it, I would have called them out just the same in this forum if the poster had taken the article from there.

As far as imagining what forums like this could be discussing, I used those as examples. But I digress... this is an off-topic discussion after all.

Feb 9, 2011
Pruitt said:
"It's offensive to black folks and, frankly, it's offensive to anyone," said Joshua Williams, Pruitt's lawyer.
Hey, don't go throwing us all in the mix there. I don't find it offensive at all, but then again, I've long since stopped becoming offended by every little thing.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
HentMas said:
Imperator_DK said:
On the other hand, it's very hard to sympathize with someone trying to get 75,000 $ over it, a compensatory claim that's beyond ridiculous
oh, I was under the impression that the lawyer hired for the lawsuit was the one that set the compensation money, they weigh the odds according to books and other research and set the sum

but yeah, the guy suing is totally wrong for asking $75,000, i mean what is this? 2001?
That might very well be the case - which was why I added the comment on this being a result of a system with punitive damages - but that doesn't really make it any less ridiculous.

Nor the person who'd sue an educational system that's already low on resources for 75,000 $ over watching poor black guy impersonations for half a day any less unsympathetic.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
intheweeds said:
Edit: The best way i can put it is this - it is impossible to have 'dress-like-a-black-day' or 'dress-like-a-gay-day' because it's impossible to 'dress like a black' or 'dress like a gay' unless you are pulling from a stereotype. If you are, you are inherently wrong.
I have to disagree with this, it's not a dress like a black person day.

It's act like a wigger, a 'wannabe ******', it's paroding a white subculture and although i can see people have objections to the event, they should of spoken to the homecoming team who would have probably been happy to explain that.

It's like the now famous geek days, and the up and coming emo days, that happen quite often in high schools.

Also i could dress like a perticular gay or straight or black or white person and i would be dressing like a _____ day complicite, the days arn't about dressing like every gay or every black or every white etc.

From a UK liberal thinking all you American's are bit shit crazy and need to comprehend each other before you attack each other.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Lionsfan said:
So what's the big deal with Fox? I mean, they're doing what a News Organization is supposed to do, cover events happening around our country. I mean why is everyone jumping on Fox for putting up an article about this? The Huffington Post did it, so did the Minneapolis Star Tribune. I'm sure more news agencies have covered it too, it's probably on Fark too. Why are we attacking Fox for reporting this?

I don't understand, Bill O'Reilly hasn't done a primetime special, it wasn't covered on the morning show (Fox and Friends I think?).
Fox are quite sensational in their reports, and based on the idea that a school would have to be astoundingly stupid and the "75K" "Damages" fee, that I think there's probably more to this story that would weaken the stance

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
Kargathia said:
I'm sure that in some mind the whole let's-get-people-closer thing might've sounded like a good idea, but I still rather suggest making it purple, and not black.

This was just asking for a lawsuit.

A lawsuit that is, frankly, rather ridiculous, but I'm not one to criticise anyone who sees her chance to cash in. It's pretty good business sense right there.
It's called being a vulture. An official complaint maybe, but to sue the school? That's bloody ridiculous! This whole 'sue everybody' culture is just sick.
Arguably so, but I'm not going to get on my soap box when I know that if I had the chance to sue somebody for 75 grand I probably would.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
orangeban said:
goldendriger said:
Im opposite. Its expression, how CAN they find it offensive?
Huh? Could I "express" that all Jews are scum and that Hitler was right and then expect no-one to be offended? Of course not.
And Godwins law is fulfilled.

OT: What a ridiculous day to have, but suing is a bit much.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Some people just cant take a joke. If they would have all dresed up like russians and called it wrussian day or if they all put on lederhosen and spoke german for a week noone would care. (I dont know why they would dress up like russians or germans, but its the point that counts)

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
dyre said:
Not a fan of FOX either, but they don't seem to be focusing much on it to me, at least not according to their site. The main front page article is about Syria, and ...
... now I just have to see how that goes.

Activists say Syrian security forces have opened live ammunition ... to crush a growing uprising that has so far claimed the lives of more that 1,700 civilians ...
Hastily written and not checked, but nothing wrong there, but the "Exclusive" looks like it might be more ... doused in accelerant:
EXCLUSIVE: UN Demands Syria End Deadly Violence ? Then Renews Aid [http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/04/un-extends-aid-to-syria-even-as-security-council-considers-sanctions-against-it/]

EXCLUSIVE: As Security Council Demands End to Syria Violence, U.N. Positions Itself for Assad 'Reforms'

According to a document obtained by Fox News, the full spectrum of United Nations assistance programs in Syria have been extended through next year, ?in order to ensure that reforms initiated by the government of the Syrian Arab Republic in 2011 are reflected in the new programs of cooperation of the United Nations agencies? that are slated to succeed them.

The existence of the document underlines the dual-track tightrope the U.N. continues to walk in Syria, where it continues to engage the Assad regime with the carrots of humanitarian aid and assistance in modernizing its creaking and corrupt social welfare structure, while relying on international condemnation and targeted economic sanctions to restrain Assad?s brutal crackdown against demonstrators who want more fundamental change.

Reform in Syria has mainly consisted of little more than vague speech-making by Assad and his top officials, coupled with attacks by security forces that are ongoing. And in the wake of yesterday?s Security Council statement, Assad showed that the game of promised reform and actual repression was still on.
Well, I have to say that their position and mine don't seem to differ much there ... except that Fox have carefully avoided giving the expansion of UNICEF [http://www.unicef.org/] with all the other full names:
UNICEF was established on 11 December 1946 by the United Nations to meet the emergency needs of children in post-war Europe and China. Its full name was the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund. In 1950, its mandate was broadened to address the long-term needs of children and women in developing countries everywhere. UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations system in 1953, when its name was shortened to the United Nations Children's Fund. However, UNICEF retained its original acronym.
Maybe it's a bit hard to make continuing their work seem like a bad thing once you've pointed out what their work actually is [http://www.unicef.org/whatwedo/index.html]. Maybe what the link should really say is: "EXCLUSIVE: UN Demands Syria End Deadly Violence ? Then Continues Protecting Children There."

Usual story with Fox. There's almost always some crucial detail missing.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
orangeban said:
What the heck are they thinking with this? This isn't political correctness, this is common-sense! Does it seriously take $75,000 to teach a school that this is racist, stupid and offensive to everyone?
Unfortunately, I think it does take $75,000, so I think the suit is justified.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
Quaidis said:
w1ndscar said:
pubbing said:
snip
On other news articles, it says that she (and others) made plenty of complaints during the time of the problem, and she even talked to the super attendant of the school district - who said he'd do something about the racial insensitivity.

But the school did nothing when the students opened a pro-wigger-day facebook page, and did nothing to stop it in the school, itself.

... Besides all that, it takes money and a job to afford a lawyer. Both of which were hard to find in the last few years.
Oh I thought this was a student who went there and found out and decided to sue, didn't realize this has been going on for a while.. But don't you think the news wouldve gotten ahold of it if it had happened several years in a row?

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
w1ndscar said:
Quaidis said:
w1ndscar said:
pubbing said:
snip
On other news articles, it says that she (and others) made plenty of complaints during the time of the problem, and she even talked to the super attendant of the school district - who said he'd do something about the racial insensitivity.

But the school did nothing when the students opened a pro-wigger-day facebook page, and did nothing to stop it in the school, itself.

... Besides all that, it takes money and a job to afford a lawyer. Both of which were hard to find in the last few years.
Oh I thought this was a student who went there and found out and decided to sue, didn't realize this has been going on for a while.. But don't you think the news wouldve gotten ahold of it if it had happened several years in a row?
You'd think.

That's what makes it such a news story, that no one really noticed until now when someone up and sued. Which says something profound: sueing a school makes the news while a school's increasingly racist community is completely over-looked for years.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Black culture responsible for the creation of Wiggers in the first place?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
B-Rye said:
I'm not ripping on them for not making a mistake, I clearly said that I think they should focus on more relevant issues.
They are though, since that 3 paragraph article nothing else has come out about the case, there hasn't been a followup, it was a bit piece and it's over with, they did their job and reported the news. What are they supposed to do, just ignore it?

Baneat said:
Fox are quite sensational in their reports, and based on the idea that a school would have to be astoundingly stupid and the "75K" "Damages" fee, that I think there's probably more to this story that would weaken the stance
How is it being sensational when everyone else is saying the exact same freaking thing!