Poll: Teen sues school over "wigger day"

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Guess they were seeking refuge in audacity. Still seems like a pretty stupid idea to me, though. "Hey, what won't people find offensive? Wigger Day!"

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
This looks more like it's targeted at white posers than regular black students. It's still a bad idea, but I'd love to have a holiday where we can make those guys feel stupid.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well my basic thoughts on the subject are mixed. To be honest the entire "wigger" thing has been going on for a VERY long time now, having started in the 1990s. Guys like John Cena have pretty much made a career out of it.

On one hand I don't see this as being any worse than say "Talk Like a Pirate" day or something like that. To be honest, the general behavior of the wiggers is cribbed DIRECTLY from the way blacks behave, as opposed to being based on some kind of broad stereotype, and that's what makes it a touchy subject. Basically, it's sort of like any other clique where someone does something perceived as cool, and then everyone wants to imitate them. In this case it's the behaviors associated with a racial subculture. Your pretty much seeing the white kids looking at how the black kids behave and public, get away with it, and then imitating the same thing.

In general I tend to think that this kind of black culture is kind of divisive to begin with, and something that should be being overcome, as it actually creates problems and what little remains of racial tensions to begin with. To be honest if Black America looks at the wiggers and thinks "okay, that's idiotic, acting like that and getting away with it makes us look like douchebags" and it helps destroy that aspect of Black culture, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

It should be understood that this is not a commentary on all Blacks, but a specific aspect of the culture. The whole "wigger" thing does not claim to be imitating everyone with that skin color, but a very specific group of people. It differs from blackface in this respect. In general the people doing the "wigger" thing do it because they want to be that way, as opposed to mocking it.

On the other hand, for all the reasons why it's not offensive and offhanded positive occurances it can have, the question remains whether or not this belongs in school. The school isn't apparently doing it to point out the problems or make a statement, but because this is something the kids themselves are embracing, and they are hoping that it will make the school seem more "hip" and appealing to the students. In doing so it's encouraging ridiculous behavior both in the terms of the so called "wiggers" and the people they are emulating.

That said, I think the worst stereotype in this whole thing is the person trying to sue the school for personal gain over this. THAT is even more ridiculous than the whole idea of Wigger Day to begin with.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Anyone else think of a goddamn minstrel reading the OP. Just wondering if it was just me. Also shame on all of you who think this is just fine "expression".

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Wait isn't it actualy being racist to white people who act black? I would call it more satirical to the total tools who pretend that black. Although the way the school was presenting it might have been totaly un-ironic, in that case it would be a pretty stupid idea.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Sounds to me to just be an invitation to be an idiot. Nothing I would get offended by I've never been offended by wiggers just annoyed.

xorinite

Nov 19, 2010
I looked into it, there was no "wednesday wigger day" there was a "spirit week" each day of which had a dress theme, one day was tropical theme some students decided to rename that day wigger day and dress up to match their own design.
So as many of you stated, nobody in authority in that school would be so stupid as to make a wigger day, and well they didn't.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
To be honest, as an African American myself, i find this funny.
Its almost like they were trolling.
And im glad that trolling is something you can be sued for in the real world.

Miss Pruitt, I salute you in your fight against racial intolerance, and all forms of trolling.
Enjoy your 75,000 USD, and dont spend it all in one place!

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Is it stupid? Yes. It is illegal? No. It should be allowed, like all the other things we don't like simply due to them being stupid ::looks at Transformers movies and Glen Beck::.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Well a lot of schools have costume days, and those can include "redneck" day without getting into a big legal hustle (I suppose redneck is just how one acts and not their race though).

It's still a stupid idea regardless of whether it should be acceptable or not, it's just asking for a law suit.

(Personally I think it would be funny to have a "yankee day" or something and see all the funny European stereotypes minorities dressed up as, so "wigger day" wouldn't be innately racist.)

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
goldendriger said:
Im opposite. Its expression, how CAN they find it offensive?
Because part of that expression contains the word "******"?

OT: The school was dumb for doing this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few people fired over this.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CJ1145 said:
goldendriger said:
It sets a stereotype for what "black people" are? It'd be like if I made a day that encouraged white people to eat watermelon. Not necessarily racist but the implication is there.

Whatever numbnut thought up this one should be getting fired right about now.
Yeah, lets not infuse American Children with Vitamins and other essential nutrients.

xorinite said:
I looked into it, there was no "wednesday wigger day" there was a "spirit week" each day of which had a dress theme, one day was tropical theme some students decided to rename that day wigger day and dress up to match their own design.
So as many of you stated, nobody in authority in that school would be so stupid as to make a wigger day, and well they didn't.
Darn reality and being all lame.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
GraveeKing said:
Never heard the word wigger before - so no idea if it's an offensive word or something. But bloody hell this is a brilliant idea! It's expressing their acceptance. If everyone acted really flamboyant and gay for a day - I doubt we'd be so offended. We'd all have a good laugh and people would be happy but noooooo the second you mention a color it's the worse thing in the worse.
O.K It wasn't a good idea perhaps but really now - GET OVER IT! xD
Expressing their acceptance? Wait what ? Your joking right? I find this extremely offensive . Wigger day ? Really ? Wait let me say this how is it . White ****** day. The point of the day is for white kids to pretend they are black implying black people are niggers ! Thats terrible ! Thats also implying that black people are different than white or "regular " people! Thats even more offensive. Sooooo lets pretend we are black , how would one do so? Here is where terrible stereotypes come into play, i can just imagine the horrors . I would completly skip this day of school AND sue the whole school board. Seeing people act the fool ( you know this is what they are doing) and feel inferior becAuse thats what black people do right? Act the fool? This is proof that we have long ways to go before racism and discrimination is dead and gone.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
If this highschool is like any highschool I've been to, It would be known as "casual Wednesday". All the white kids already thought they were black.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Macrobstar said:
goldendriger said:
Ok tell me, how do you go about pretending to be a black person?
At least half of the black people I hear about have about as many kids as a litter of kittens, wear clothing that would make it nearly impossible for them to get a decent part-time job, etc. Sure, there's quite a few that act like they have half a brain, but that applies to pretty much everybody. We're not any more judgemental than black people are. If you ask me, anyone who calls us whiteys (or however you spell that) racist is just upset because there aren't any negative stereotypes exclusive to us (besides white trash). :p