Poll: The Elder Scrolls or Fallout? Which game/s and why?

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Okay so, I was playing Oblivion earlier when my friend called me, just to talk about something (I forgot what) but we ended up talking about the games we were playing, turns out he was playing Fallout: New Vegas.

So after some in depth discussion on how freaking spammy the salamanders are we started to get into a little bit of an argument about which game was better, and I must admit he made some good points.

But it depends on what you like of course, and that is my question. Now I don't mean "Which is better, New Vegas or Skyrim" no I mean which one of the mini series do you prefer?

Like if Bethesda announced they we're going to make the ultimate RPG ever. And it was going to be based around either Fallout or The Elder Scrolls... which would you choose?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Until Fallout lets me use magic, Elder Scrolls.

My first Western fantasy setting RPG of many was Elder Scrolls. And I daresay the most original take of the ones I've played. Orcs are civilized, elves are divided, and dwarves are basically extinct.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Elder Scrolls.
Morrowind > Fallout 1 and 2, and considering I've found every iteration in both series in the last 3-5 years to be pretty bad, I'm basing my whole judgment on how amazing Morrowind was compared to the Fallout games.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
I love Fallout far more then the Elder Scrolls series. I actually give a crap about what happens in the wasteland.

Funny that.

Apr 28, 2008
We talking old-school or new-school?

Because if the newer Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, then Fallout, easily. And not Fallout 3, that game was more of a "Wasteland Explorer Simulator" than an actual Fallout game. I mean New Vegas. That game rules.

Mainly because New Vegas has the better story. And setting. About equal in bugs though.

Old school Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Well, now that is a tough decision. On one hand, you have Daggerfall, which is probably the best of the series. As well as Morrowind, which while not as expansive as Daggerfall, had a better story.

Then there's Fallout 1+2, which are also very awesome.

Tough call.

TingaWinga

Aug 17, 2010
Fallout no doubt I've enjoyed that game so much more than I did oblivion!
Fallout 3 re-defined FPS-RPG

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
fallout.

i tried oblivion but quit after 3 hours because it's so big it feels like the world and all its options are suffocating me.

i traded that in for Crackdown 2.

oh. and morrowind also had the same problem. i traded that game in for KOTOR.

i'm not immersed, i'm drowning.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I much prefer a fantasy setting than a nuclear wasteland (I can't say post-apocalyptic settings in general because Enslaved's was outstanding), so I'd go with the Elder Scrolls.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
TestECull said:
Fallout has assault rifles. Oblivion does not. Fallout has nuclear weapons. Oblivion does not. Fallout has jetpacks(Well, on PC, okay they're mods but bear with me). Obli...you guessed it.

Base it around Fallout. It's just better.
If you're including mods, then you are wrong on all three accounts.

Personally, I prefer the Elder Scrolls. The world is just richer and more believable than what Bethesda's Fallouts have to offer.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
That depends on what we're talking about here.

New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda, it's one of Obsidian's games. Obsidian is mostly made up of the team that made the original Fallout games, so there's a pretty big difference between them and the people who made Fallout 3.

Now, if you only mean Bethesda's games then I do prefer Elder Scrolls games to FO3 (although I'm not a big fan of either, tbh). If you mean all Fallout games, then I'd pick Fallout.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Elder Scrolls vs. Fallout 3? As much as I hate the main plot in that game, I've gotten much more enjoyment out of Fallout 3 than most games. Nothing really wrong the Elder Scrolls, good games, I've just had more fun with Fallout 3. I still like New Vegas better than Fallout 3 though, but that isn't Bethesda.

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
I like both too much to choose. New Vegas was too buggy though, but at least they fixed it.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I'm going to assume you're referring to Fallout 3 and New Vegas, since the other Fallout games share almost nothing in common with the Elder Scrolls games.
Still, definitely the Elder Scrolls games. There's actually colour in the environments, and melee is a lot better when people aren't shooting at you with guns. And of course, MAGIC.
Also, the Elder Scrolls usually sets the standard for that game engine, so to speak. Oblivion was the first game to use its engine, Skyrim too, and probably Morrowind too for all I know.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Oblivion. You get less RPG fans whining about how it isn't a proper RPG because the combat requires some skill as well as stats. Honestly.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Fallout. Of the two, it is the only one I can support the leveling system. TES has a neat idea but haven't even came close to executing it properly even once. Maybe Morrowind came close, but that is a HUGE maybe. There was still an assload of things wrong with it then too.

At least the Fallout system, while a bit more of the XP conservative approach, is structured pretty solid. I can support that. V.A.T.S. got worse with 3 IMO but I can let that go easier than an entire leveling system being a jumbled mess with little forethought in the design process like TES has.

Hopefully, Skyrim proves me wrong but I somehow doubt it. That is a LOT of innovation and I just don't see Bethesda covering it that well.