Poll: The next fail in gaming

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
randomfox said:
Considering they showed off the price point for the Vita in three different monetary values, you'd think they'd have been smart enough to point out what other networks their new system would run on. So either Sony is dumb for neglecting their international audience, or is extra dumb for fucking over international consumers by giving them a system they can't go online with unless they shill out for a plane ticket states side.
I'd have thought that implies the Vita isn't exclusive to one company in other countries. Sony are smarter than advertising a feature that only works in one country, especially a country they aren't even based in.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
randomfox said:
My first post was about how the PS2 had a bunch of third party support to bolster their sales rates, while PS3 did not, which is why it is failing, natch. It has everything to do with raw, black and white sales numbers, which you seem to be intentionally avoiding for some reason.

Your definition of quality games is clearly skewed if you thought MAG was any good. Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion, I simply suggest you actually back up your inane statements with actual facts instead of fanboy head bangery.
The PS3 without a doubt launched more poorly than the PS2 (I bought a launch PS2 but not launch PS3). The PS2 was just so ridiculously dominant though.

I don't think I'd consider the PS3 to be failing, not performing as well as expected? Yeah, definitely. The PS3 is very close, if not ahead, of the 360 in worldwide sales. The PS3 has made up a lot of ground. I remember reading not too long ago that the PS3 was close to turning a profit. Even if the PS3 hasn't turned a profit hardware-wise, software-wise it has. Now the 360 has probably done better, but that RROD issue has to be a huge dent in Microsoft's profit making that Microsoft isn't going to publicly disclose. The RROD issue was very serious, quite a decent percentage of 360 users haven't gotten 3+ consoles from Microsoft (I personally know several people that have), that has to very costly. There's no question Nintendo completely curbed stomped both Sony and MS in making money this gen.

Concerning MAG, name me another console FPS without health regen, without 1 button nading, without moving spawns, and an emphasis on teamwork. You can't because there's no other FPS that fits those criteria. That's why I like MAG. It's fine if you don't like MAG, Sony offers Killzone and Resistance as FPS exclusives as well. What if I don't like Halo and Gears, Microsoft really isn't offering anything else. Sony has 1st party games for everyone, Nintendo and Microsoft don't.

The PS3, as a console, has offered its customers more value than both the Wii and 360. That's why I say the PS3 is the best console. The PS3 has more games, free online, and better hardware (Yes, I'm aware of the YLOD issue, I experienced it). Sony was smart using Blu-ray, a built-in hard drive (remember, not all 360s have a HD, devs can't use it on a mandatory basis), using bluetooth (for controllers and headsets), built-in wireless (it was quite awhile before the 360 got it), and HDMI and optical audio out.

And, Microsoft is supposed to be the BEST in online gaming right? Then, why the fuck does Microsoft run NO DEDICATED SERVERS. I can play Metal Gear Online, MAG, Warhawk, Killzone, and probably a few other PS3 games on dedicated servers. I can't play anything on the 360 on dedicated servers. Also, if Metal Gear Online (my favorite online shooter) was exclusive to the 360, I'd have to pay Microsoft $60/year to play it when it's fucking Konami that's running the dedicated servers, I'd pay Konami money to play Metal Gear Online but not Sony or Microsoft as they have literally no hand in it.

The PS3 is nowhere near the failings of the N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, or original Xbox. The PS3 has underperformed for Sony but it's not nearly the failure you're making it out to be.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Nintendo. Their next console is going to be slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, but not powerful enough to beat the next generation. It's the same wall the Dreamcast ran into. The Dreamcast was better than the N64 and the PS1 by far, but once the PS2, the Xbox, and the Gamecube came out it was doomed. They're releasing too early with hardware they should've had five years ago.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Nintendo. Gimmicks and shovelware and the like, although they remain too big an image in the mind of the uninformed to fail in my opinion.

I really hope they do because although they have a few good titles, they could just do what other failed console developers did and focus on making those games for the consoles of other companies.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
It's gonna be Sony, with their new handheld. The PSP didn't work, who says the NGP will?

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
I suspect it will be Microsoft.
They have a lot going currently. Kinect, Windows 8, some new microsoft smartphone.
With all these things it will be hard to pull off a console release too but if they do manage to do it then they have my full support.

Oh and Vita will not fail(if they are thinking of doing this on it too),this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flK748GogoA&feature=player_embedded] is the reason why.
I don't know why the hell didn't anyone thought about it?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
randomfox said:
And yet that is exactly what they did. Pull up some footage of their press conference at E3, I aint just blowing this out my ass.
I know but E3 is in America so they're probably talking to their American audiences. I don't know if you're right or not but I just can't see it happening. It sounds unrealistic for a worldwide company to do that. I'd say reserve judgement until further announcements, Sony would lose money limiting that feature only to America because having the 3G support gives them an edge over their competition and AT&T aren't going to pay for worldwide rights because they only need American rights.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
wfpdk said:
nintendo has not made a win since smash bros 64, which is just taking charaters we already know and puting them in a genaric fighting game. i doubt they will sudenly decide to make another franchise that's worth a damn.
Uhm, excuse me for sounding fanboyish, but how is Smash Bros. a generic fighting game? Items, not based on stamina the same way, 4 players can play at once in one big jumble, the stage actually attacking the player. Those are elements I haven't seen much in other fighting games and it's the only fighting game I find myself enjoying after years of playing it.

OT: I think Nintendo will fail. It's not that I don't like the idea of the Wii U, I love it! I want it. I think it looks pretty cool. However, it's a big risk on their side. It might be doomed to fail, or it might fail because it makes things too complex for the developers, or it might be like on the Wii that the developers simply do not care what games they put on the console and fart out a bunch of lazy titles that are mediocre (at best). I hope it will be a success, but I have problems visualizing it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
randomfox said:
As far as the industry is concerned, not meeting expectations = failing. The land of business aint fair or fun. The PS3 may be catching up now, but that's about 3 years too late.

Also, TL;DR
Your logic is flawed because with that logic, there's no way the PS3 could've been a success due to the fact the PS2 was so dominant and the PS3 was expected to live up to the PS2. Just like the Wii U is a guaranteed failure according to you because there's no way the Wii U is going to duplicate or surpass the Wii's success.

If a company makes a product and it turns a profit, it's a success plain and simple. It doesn't matter if industry analysts say it failed as long as the console was enough of a success that the company will make the next console. The PS3 definitely lost market share, which is important, but it didn't lose any 3rd party support from devs. If that were to happen, then the PS3 would lose a lot of its value to me.

AssassinFisH

Jun 12, 2011
Nintendo takes this by a mile. Touchscreen control pads....no thank you nintendo, I'm a hardcore gamer who want's to comfortably hold the controller for hours on end. Sony will get a slap too, if they give us those damn horrible L2, R2 triggers on the PS4.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Guys Nintendo had the only system that made a PROFIT in it's first year of release. I'm saying Microsoft because their exclusive franchise support isn't as strong.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
codisthebest said:
actually the next fail in gamin is going to be when apple decides to make a game console
Doubt that, Apple has a bigger fanboy base than all three console makers combined. plus they have an exceptional marketing system, as well as marketplace systems like Itunes and the apstore. plus Apple hardware/software works and works good.

I voted Sony, because they are in desperate need of doing something to reclaim the image they lost and the next console will be rushed out the door. rushed out means less time perfecting it so it will be more buggy than the ps3. also Nintendo did not fail with the Wii, they just didnt win with the hardcore gamers. MS will just do the same thing... XBOX360 with a new number and hardware, better graphics and a few added features and capabilities for more later. just like they did from xbox to the 360.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im gonna go with microsoft, it had a pretty big fail with the 360, I mean the system was amazingly poorly designed and Ill bet their next one will be full of that kind of fail also

Nopodop

Jan 2, 2011
Through my eyes Nintendo have failed since the Wii in every way so I think the Wii U will fail epically.