Poll: The TF2 Insult

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
You're making a ton of assumptions. It's ridiculous to expect that everyone who takes advantage of the free price tag is doing it to make your life miserable. Plenty of people aren't big FPS fans and now may be encouraged enough to give the game a try by having nothing to lose. Plenty of other people simply haven't had time to play the game and may now be interested in it.

If it's such a huge problem for you, go play on the 360. Just like 2007.

Apr 28, 2008
Calm the fuck down. Good god, Valve fans sure are the entitled little bunch, aren't they?

What about all those free updates Valve has given you? What about all those free maps they have given you? What about the fact that free players have gimped item slots, gimped crafting, no trading, or gift giving capabilities?

Yeah, you payed $20 for it. And how much gameplay did you get out of it? You've more than got your $20 worth. Or hell, $2-$10 since most of you probably bought it in a sale, or part of The Orange Box. Valve doesn't owe you jack shit. You payed for the game, you got it, and lots of free updates with it. And if that's really enough to get you to leave, then good. Less entitled dicks on the game, the better.

And for people who recently bought it within the past 2 months, yeah it kind of sucks. I know how it feels, but here's what you got to do in that situation: Suck it up.

Yeah, it sucks. No, it's not a good option, but it's the only one. You have my sympathies, but I'm afraid you'll just have to deal with it.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
La Barata said:
(p.s. There ARE differences between free and paid for games. Paid for [you have to pay at least $1] get to wear hats. That's about it)
Actually, there are a LOT more differences than that.

"Premium" (paid for) accounts:

Backpack: 300 slots (expandable up to 1000)
Items: Standard, Rare and Cosmetic
Blueprints: All blueprints
Trading: Full trading
Gifting: Can give and receive gifts

"Free" accounts:

Backpack: 50 slots (not expandable)
Items: Standard
Crafting: Limited blueprints
Trading: Receive items only
Gifting: Can receive gifts

Either way, I don't think anyone can predict if this whole free to play thing will have any permanent effects on the TF2 community. Sure, there might be a sudden influx of players really quick here, but I think after a while that will taper off and the "less dedicated" players (who tend to have shorter half-lives than "dedicated" ones) will fade away.

There have always been fuckwits on TF2 servers--trust me, as a female, my very presence brings them to the surface. And there always will be. Just find the servers that do the best at taking care of said fuckwits and you'll be fine.

Oh, and grieving from elitists who feel entitled to play the game more than others simply because they were there first will NOT deter or resolve any additional perceived grieving from the new players. It will only antagonize them even more, and make them even more determined to grieve because it gets the attention and recognition they desire.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
well i've ownedtf2 for years, and i feel like i've gotten what i paid for. For me this is a good thing since now i can get the friends that weren't convinced by me to buy the game to get the game for free and play some tf2 with me. ^^

ALso griefers aren't really a problem, just get a couple friends that are above avrage at playing and own them.

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Sadly the game's been broken since they started with the weapon updates and stuff. I don't hate Valve for breaking it tho, because they were experimenting. I just dearly hope they don't do this in future. I liked the new maps and things, but the guns destroyed the balance of the game and it just lost all fun.

Then there was the store which was the final straw for me so I uninstalled it forever (To those of you who are pointing out that it's not compulsory, well done you observant person, have a medal, but if you want the newest and most broken stuff you actually do need it since the drop system is horendously unreliable) and I've not played it since. Admittedly I am slightly bitter because I paid for the game. Yes I had my money's worth but now it's there to play for free, just with the evil microtransactions.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Flying6LeggedWhale said:
This good sir is why you play it on the 360. I love my mouse and keyboard as much as the next guy, but once the items started coming out TF2 was dead to me.
what!? tf2 is shit on the xbox! theres no servers, none of the community maps.. also who the fuck cares about hats? it doesn't reall break the ballance of the game anyways..

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
Dragonborne88 said:
To be honest, the silhouettes haven't changed, other than the vertical ones. The models are still super easy to tell apart, since they are each a different height, width, and weight.
Wait, you can tell the weight of the models? What kind of monitor do you use? :p

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
You're over-reacting about it becoming f2p. People may now play TF2 out of curiosity more than anything else, but more exposure for the game is beneficial. F2P does not equal Sudden Asshatery, that's just the "OMG I LIKED IT BEFORE IT WAS FREE OMG" over the top reaction.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
The Electro Gypsy said:
Sadly the game's been broken since they started with the weapon updates and stuff. I don't hate Valve for breaking it tho, because they were experimenting. I just dearly hope they don't do this in future. I liked the new maps and things, but the guns destroyed the balance of the game and it just lost all fun.

Then there was the store which was the final straw for me so I uninstalled it forever (To those of you who are pointing out that it's not compulsory, well done you observant person, have a medal, but if you want the newest and most broken stuff you actually do need it since the drop system is horendously unreliable) and I've not played it since. Admittedly I am slightly bitter because I paid for the game. Yes I had my money's worth but now it's there to play for free, just with the evil microtransactions.
The balance is nowhere near the game breaking level you seem to have them at. I respect your opinion, but really, on most servers, people will use a variety of stuff, not just unlockables. They cater to different playstyles, nothing more. Every item has actually been really good about being side-grades, that help in certain situations rather then all situations. The item drop system is also very good about giving me either the new releases (I had the entire Shogun set in like 2 weeks from the drop system alone), or enough items to craft what I want. So I've been to the store like...once, to get a hat I thought was cool.

Case in point: Soldiers Direct Hit. I think it's garbage, because I can't aim. I like being able to hit tons of guys with one rocket to the ground. Direct Hit? They can hit one guy, period, no matter how well they aim.

Sniper's Pee Gun. Can't headshot. Well, considering his whole skill ceiling is about headshotting, not using it.

Demo's Scottish Resistance: More stickies, ability to detonate them individually. I don't want to aim when I detonate, so I prefer making tons explode at once remotely, and air bursting them.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
AnubisAuman said:
Wait, you can tell the weight of the models? What kind of monitor do you use? :p
I know, right? It comes in handy on dating sites to be able to tell the weight of somebody by their picture/image! :p

I meant like, the Heavy is obviously far larger then say, the Scout. ;)

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I think better compensation would have been nice.

I mean, a hat which I could probably spend about 5 minutes in 3DS Max and create is a bit of a silly "Reward".

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Legendsmith said:
Dys said:
They ruined it with the introduction of balance breaking items (ubersaw, wrangler etc).
Ubersaw? balance breaking?
Seriously?
No, it's not. It's an opportunistic thing that is very situational.
I'm yet to see an example of a situation where a medic would benefit from having the bonesaw over the ubersaw, however having the ubersaw cangive a much needed invuln and turn the tide of a battle. If the medic needs to swing a second time to get a kill, chances are he's about to be dead anyway.
The wrangler is debatable, since wrangled sentries can miss, but normal sentries don't.
Unlimited range and the ability to choose targets more than compensate for the ability to miss (shooting obvious spies is damn helpful, as is sniping opposing plays/sentrys from afar). Taking the wrangler does not force it's use, it replaces the pistol which, while useful at times, can be substituted with the wrangler (a good engineer is never far from his sentry).

There are clear advantages of taking both of the above weapons without significant disadvantages
Weapons that are really broken are/were the equalizer at release, the backburner at release the huntspam at release especially and the new weapons in the uber update (the new demoman weapons especially; Full turn control while charging? kthxbye.)
I've not seen the newest batch of weapons yet, but the introduction of new items certainly balances the game. Even weapons that are situational, having the option to use them if your team requires it (Natasha springs to mind) is hugely valuable.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
It doesn't seem particularly fair for the people who bought it at full price, but then I got it in the Orange Box for £15 so I'm not really one to complain. It should encourage more new players, so I might actually find someone who's worse at it than me to teach how to play! (200 hours and a crappy Internet connection still scuppers my chances at doing competently)

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
La Barata said:
(p.s. There ARE differences between free and paid for games. Paid for [you have to pay at least $1] get to wear hats. That's about it)
There's Free (see Flash Games)
Paid for (StarCraft and other retail games)
Subscription (RS/WoW)
and Microtransaction (the new TF2/LoL)

microtransaction games are nice and all, but considering we paid $20 for TF2 (or like $7 when you divvy up the Orange Box) we SHOULD get like $20 of items or exclusive items, or something that ISN'T A HAT

EDIT: I want a secondary gun for the Scout or Sniper or pretty much anyone but Engie/Spy/Medic (because it wouldn't work too well) that shoots shurikens and lightning! (see: Painkiller)

OR! give the Pyro an SMG/Flamethrower for HIS secondary! (also from painkiller)

or SOME sort of over the top gun, like a medic gun that shoots doves!
or a sniper rifle that shoots sting rays! (too soon?)

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Dys said:
I'm yet to see an example of a situation where a medic would benefit from having the bonesaw over the ubersaw, however having the ubersaw cangive a much needed invuln and turn the tide of a battle. If the medic needs to swing a second time to get a kill, chances are he's about to be dead anyway.

Unlimited range and the ability to choose targets more than compensate for the ability to miss (shooting obvious spies is damn helpful, as is sniping opposing plays/sentrys from afar). Taking the wrangler does not force it's use, it replaces the pistol which, while useful at times, can be substituted with the wrangler (a good engineer is never far from his sentry).

There are clear advantages of taking both of the above weapons without significant disadvantages

I've not seen the newest batch of weapons yet, but the introduction of new items certainly balances the game. Even weapons that are situational, having the option to use them if your team requires it (Natasha springs to mind) is hugely valuable.
I've never found the Ubersaw useful. A Medic who charges in is desperate anyway, and will die before getting his Uber off 90% of the time. Trust me, I main Medic. I use the Vita-Saw, or the normal saw since it's faster.

The Wrangler is stupid easy to counter. The Engie has to manually control it, and as soon as he dies, the Sentry is as good as gone. Either take out the Engineer, or get one Demo close enough to stick a few stickies under it. I can take them out pretty quickly by popping the corner a few times and getting like 4 stickies there.

Valuable, but not game changing. The Natascha will get countered 100% of the time by a normal Heavy if they fire at the same time. If one gets the jump on the other, of course the one that fired first will win. Even as a Scout, the Natascha Heavies aren't that bad, just got to not charge them.

Not to shut you down or anything, but the "balance is ruined" argument is kind of annoying.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
I got TF2 when I purchased the orange box on the Xbox 360 and I haven't heard about any of the stuff about hats and trading or blueprints. I'm going to get the free version simply to see what I've obviously been missing out on.

(If Premium members are members who have spend ANY money on TF2 do I count or is it only the PC gaming master race who get it)

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
La Barata said:
Hey, just starting this with a bit of a rant. I love TF2. It's one of my favourite games. Well, it WAS. Since September 30, 2010, The MannConomy update, TF2 has been on a slippery slope to complete ruin. Today, it's finally happened.
TF2 is dead.
First, it started with the items.
Being able to buy them.
The constant, neverending stream of crappy, pointless community items with only miniscule, barely noticeable stat changes.
More and more and more items, completely burying us under pointless community content.

The final straw came today.

The Uber update introduced free to play forever. Team Fortress 2 is now open to the public to play forever for free.

Now, every server is crammed with hundreds of people who, in all likelihood, have no interest whatsoever in the game. Most times, when you get a new player, they want to get better, want to get good at the game, want to actually do something with themselves. When a game is free to play, however, a time dreaded by most who already own it, this is when the absolute assclowns and griefers come out to play. They don't care about doing well or getting better, they didn't pay a cent, they just want to ruin it for everyone else. What do they care? They didn't pay for it.

The thing that I take offense to the most, though, is what they decided to offer those who already paid for the game.

We get a hat.
We ALL get a hat. The same hat.

This hat is just an insult. When other games have become free to play, they offered some sort of compensation to the people who actually paid the $20 for it. We get a hat. They're insulting us. They're waving their bloody item system, the start of all this crap, in our faces and taunting us for actually caring enough to pay for it.

My heart bleeds for you man. The moment they started with the buy a hat for 20$ bullshit, I out of principle stopped playing TF2 as it felt like a betrayal (almost as strong as 2K "2000 Kunts" betrayal with X-Com).

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
The Lunatic said:
I think better compensation would have been nice.

I mean, a hat which I could probably spend about 5 minutes in 3DS Max and create is a bit of a silly "Reward".
Agreed, lets just go all out and give people who paid a whole freaking new class that if other players want they have t buy for $20

let's make it the "juaggernaught" or something, like all melee attacks but a crap ton of health

r there could be a "sabateur" which would be like a demoman crossed with a spy

I don't know, just random thoughts

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
I see this as a rebirth for TF2. The community will expand and, as a multiplayer game, it will get better.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Kenko said:
My heart bleeds for you man. The moment they started with the buy a hat for 20$ bullshit, I out of principle stopped playing TF2 as it felt like a betrayal (almost as strong as 2K "2000 Kunts" betrayal with X-Com).
I'm genuinely curious. How does the addition of a completely cosmetic item, that makes no difference to gameplay, constitute a betrayal? It's a visual addition to character models, that add a bit of spice to the models, and character to certain players. I'm, for example, noticeable amongst Medics on my usual servers since I wear the Mask and Ze Goggles all the time.