Poll: The TF2 Insult

Tandrews

Jan 10, 2010
If I could put in my two cents. I've had the orange box/tf2 for my 360 since pretty much launch day and loved the hell out of it. It has got to be one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played and i've sunk hundreds of hours into it.
However as everyone knows there has been no new updates or the like for the console versions so all the new achievements and weapons I haven't been able to obtain. Fast forward to now, because of this kind and in my eyes uncessary (but hey i'm not complaining update) i'm now able to join in with the pc goers. Now i've always stuck to my console online roots but I've always heard that the general online pc gamer is a friendlyer and more cooperative than the usual populations of console gamers. Now I have a chance to play with the guys i've always heard good things about.
This update has allowed me to play a practicly completely new game with my friends instead of having to buy another copy of a game I already own. I'm not saying this update won't drag in a few idiots but it would be nice if you could think of guys like me. We're not all jerks : )

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
I dont mind i havnt really played much TF2 recently due to other games uni and such,

but al always go back to it, as for the F2P i dont mind aslong as they dont get silly as in micro transactions for absolutely everything making the game unbalance, I wasnt too keen on the items to begin with either

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I loved TF2, back when there were no unlocks, and I also liked it when we waited for single class updates, because the new items were clever and had a nice separation. Once we started getting more than 1 set of items for each class the game started on a downward spiral. The game separated itself by making team work essential. Each class had it's positives and negatives. Now the items have removed the unique class roles. I uninstalled and there is no desire to return with the items. If a TF3 ever gets made I hope that it goes back to the original class ideals.

F2P didn't ruin TF2, Valve did that many, many months ago.

sevreon

Jan 6, 2011
I bought TF2 when I got the Orange Box(bought it for Portal basically), but I havent actually played it yet, even though I want to.

I ashamed to admit that this is because I'm horribly afraid of the verbal abuse I'm sure I'm gonna get when I first start playing for being a girl whos really bad the game.

However, since apparantly there are now loads of noobs flooding it now, I may just find the balls to join in.

Anyone fancy giving me some courage/advice? (I know, Im a total wuss. I just cant handle even anonymous abuse)

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
I'm excited it's free. I'm downloading it as we speak on mah Steam account. It's nice (sometimes) to not be bleeding money for my love of gaming.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
sevreon said:
I bought TF2 when I got the Orange Box(bought it for Portal basically), but I havent actually played it yet, even though I want to.

I ashamed to admit that this is because I'm horribly afraid of the verbal abuse I'm sure I'm gonna get when I first start playing for being a girl whos really bad the game.

However, since apparantly there are now loads of noobs flooding it now, I may just find the balls to join in.

Anyone fancy giving me some courage/advice? (I know, Im a total wuss. I just cant handle even anonymous abuse)
Nothing to be afraid of for one. Don't play it serious, like you would a competitive game. A lot of the servers, esxpecially the ones I play on, don't care how noobish you are as long as you are contributing. Good starting tip, play Medic to learn the levels. You just have to heal people and follow them around. If you want to actually do some fighting, play Heavy. Just hold down the Mouse 1 button and go nuts on people. :)

If I knew people's STEAM accounts, I'd be more then happy to tutor/aid new guys anyway I can. Take that as an open Invitation ya'll. I'm no "super uber awesome pro", but I main Medic, and generally am in the top 5 in the servers I play on. So I know a number of tricks. :D

Neko Federovna

Mar 21, 2011
TF2 was a fun game when it came out. When they added equipment I thought it was great. It allowed classes to excel in different areas. When the Mann co update came in I saw this going down the slope towards something I could not understand. Hats... Really? The only time you are going to see them is when a sniper has you in his crosshairs. Whatever though people bought them it your call. If you don't like the idea, don't buy them. If you like having a bucket on your head put it on. I?m just going to laugh and see if I can shoot it off. In a game like this you don't need a status symbol. (Not saying all hats are a status symbol I do think the Green Beret on the Soldier looks cool) But from what I have seen on the internet many people use the hats as status symbols. If they gave you items based on how many people you incinerated, or bonked then I will gladly put the item on. It?s a fear tactic, to see a sniper with a 10000 headshot special designed sniper rifle (Meaning different looking or color scheme is different) everyone will want to take him down.
To have goals and milestones to work towards is something that inspires me and others to keep playing.

Now onto the cost. I pre purchased it as I am sure many of you have, we have received many hours of fun. With the specials and such not going on the community can grow, meaning more meat bags to shoot. (No offense to rookies but when you become an experienced player you?re going to call the new recruits target dummies to.) I swallowed my pride and sighed as the price was dropped to $5 or something. But with the new F2P announcement I would like some sort of compensation and apparently so would others. Now before you roast me I know we get a special hat. -_- This is my happy face. If they were to give a Mann co store credit equal to the amount you paid for the game I would be more than grateful.

Why rant, complain and separate the great TF2 community. If we come up with a great compensation idea I bet Valve would hear about it and it could happen. Common who wouldn't want $20 in Mann co items of your choice.

This is just my two cents.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Neko Federovna said:
Why rant, complain and separate the great TF2 community. If we come up with a great compensation idea I bet Valve would hear about it and it could happen. Common who wouldn't want $20 in Mann co items of your choice.

This is just my two cents.
I understand what you're saying, but Valve handing 20$ to the thousands of active players in the game doesn't seem like it'll ever happen. Plus, Valve pays the item contributors whenever people buy the items they created.

I bought the orange box on 360 when it first came out, bought it again on PC after I upgraded it right before the first heavy update. I've pretty much seen the game go through all it's updates and have around two thousand hours on it. It's probably the most well worth-it game I've ever purchased, and I think it's awesome they've made this fantastic game F2P.

I know I just speak for myself, but I just don't feel the need to be "compensated" at all.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Hm, maybe it's only because I started playing about a year ago, but I've always been fine with all the hats and weapons, and, yes, even the Mann Co. store. I think Valve's done a pretty good job of keeping everything balanced, and I'm even fine with it becoming free (getting my girlfriend into it, actually!)

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
Why should they give you more? I bought the game on three separate occasions and they haven't given me shit. [orange box on both systems and now the pc version]

Deal with it you payed to play the game for a much longer time than those getting it for free so be glade you know the classes and which items to use unlike the new crowd who will take a month to get to knowing the best sets and how to play but another few months before a majority gets good at it.

Also trolls where already in the game so saying all the new people are just going to be trolls who don't care about getting better is pretty much a "I AM RIGHT GO DIE IN A FIRE"

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
You literally can never please the Gamer community, huh?

As in it's physically impossible. Like "knowing the velocity AND location of an electron, at a specific time" level of impossible.

mannaroth

Aug 19, 2009
I think you're over reacting. Waaaaay too much and trolls will be around for like a week now if they made Gary's Mod free it would do the opposite because the trolls and grievers are the only people who play that bloody game. I know like 30 people (seriously no exaggeration) who own that game who are the worst most annoying trolls in the world and it being free would bring good players in and it was free in the first place!

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I got it in the OB back in 2007, and quit playing back in February 2011 due to the fact I'd quit again before that and upon returning was treated to unwanted and ungreased backdoor hammertime love making courtesy of the long playing Vets. Now that it's free I'm back on and just another "new" player.

Rayken15

Jan 10, 2011
I agree with some of the people here. A hat ain't very much. They could've added something like the Saxxy, which all classes can use.

Feb 13, 2008
Nasrin said:
I'm excited it's free. I'm downloading it as we speak on mah Steam account. It's nice (sometimes) to not be bleeding money for my love of gaming.
Well, there is a match on the Escapist servers in an hours time....

Neko Federovna

Mar 21, 2011
This is more a matter of holding the companies accountable. I would rather they didn't give us anything for our years of dedicated use. If you?re going to give something do it right and give what is deserved. If TF2 is now F2P then they are making HUGE amounts off the Mann co. Its basic business knowledge, (I?m part of a self employed family business) if you can take the loss and make bigger returns then it?s worthwhile. Word of mouth spreads faster with happy consumers.

And even if they take a minor loss it will easily be returned because they can then set up ads for their other games.

Just to clarify that not everyone gets $20. You get a credit on how much you paid for the game.

sevreon

Jan 6, 2011
Dragonborne88 said:
sevreon said:

Nothing to be afraid of for one. Don't play it serious, like you would a competitive game. A lot of the servers, esxpecially the ones I play on, don't care how noobish you are as long as you are contributing. Good starting tip, play Medic to learn the levels. You just have to heal people and follow them around. If you want to actually do some fighting, play Heavy. Just hold down the Mouse 1 button and go nuts on people. :)

If I knew people's STEAM accounts, I'd be more then happy to tutor/aid new guys anyway I can. Take that as an open Invitation ya'll. I'm no "super uber awesome pro", but I main Medic, and generally am in the top 5 in the servers I play on. So I know a number of tricks. :D
Aw thats awesome thanks! I actually bought the Orange Box on PS3, but I think Id actually prefer to play it on PC, trying to download it now actually but servers are too busy atm. Steam account is Kelly_Lou, so if any of you guys see me, then Im sorry I suck so bad, please be nice :p