Poll: The TF2 Insult

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
here is my opinion on the effect. It's only temporary. My favorite servers that I pay for reserved slots on, were jam packed with mic spammers and d-bags however! their existence is only temporary. Once the update patches the mod tools, that break after every big patch, my servers admins will be able to clear out the riffraff.

Play on better servers, use the mute players feature, and enjoy the items

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
You need to play on an Escapist servr when it's full, then you'll realise more people is a good thing.

But I can see what you mean, but the whole point about TF2 is having fun, which Valve are great at letting players do.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I love how people whine about a game going free when it was more of a bonus when buying a different game, and has been down to what, $2.5 on steam sales?

Influx of new players is always a great thing. What bugs me a bit more is that I have always played medic, and its now we're going to see servers with 7 medics on each team for a while.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Neko Federovna said:
This is more a matter of holding the companies accountable. I would rather they didn't give us anything for our years of dedicated use. If you?re going to give something do it right and give what is deserved. If TF2 is now F2P then they are making HUGE amounts off the Mann co. Its basic business knowledge, (I?m part of a self employed family business) if you can take the loss and make bigger returns then it?s worthwhile. Word of mouth spreads faster with happy consumers.

And even if they take a minor loss it will easily be returned because they can then set up ads for their other games.

Just to clarify that not everyone gets $20. You get a credit on how much you paid for the game.
Woah woah woah, gets $20 am I missing something or did I misunderstand?

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
natster43 said:
Wow. Now I might actually play since it is free and I don't care about hats.
So you say. You too shall be overcome by the hat-fever! Join us. Joooooooooin us.

But seriously, hats are cool, but I've never raved about getting them. I've gotten one drop since I've played (since the beginning), but ended up getting rid of it. The hats I've got now I got because I gave a "unique" one to a guy who wanted it, and he gave me like 8 in return. They help make my Medic unique!

Excludos said:
I love how people whine about a game going free when it was more of a bonus when buying a different game, and has been down to what, $2.5 on steam sales?

Influx of new players is always a great thing. What bugs me a bit more is that I have always played medic, and its now we're going to see servers with 7 medics on each team for a while.
Yeah, last night there were 6 at one point. I hate it because I like being the only Medic. :p It'll go away soon though, like always. It was nice for getting HUGE pushes though. As a Heavy, I was getting Ubered like every time one ran out.

Feb 13, 2008
The Electro Gypsy said:
Sadly the game's been broken since they started with the weapon updates and stuff.
Until someone can provide me with concrete evidence on how the game has been broken in any way, I'll consider this to be equivalent to "in my opinion".

Because, for all the heat the Mannconomy Store has got,

a) It's optional
b) It's optional
c) It's optional

Most serious players only play with vanilla items and can use the sidegrades for specific tasks. All of which can be dropped, traded or crafted with no money spent.

It's still balanced, it's still played, it's still fun. If you choose not to play it because you feel you DESERVE something or it's RUINED by some cosmetic changes, then the problem is with you.

The rest of us will keep on having fun, and would rather that threads like this were kept to places where they didn't influence possible new people who'd like to play.

I've spent a few dollars on getting presents for people, and I got the Heimachi hat (where all the money went to charity). I have possibly 20 hats and 80% of the weapons PURELY from playing.

If you REALLY TRULY think you DESERVE something, how about you play the damn game and get what you originally paid for; a fun game.

Neko Federovna

Mar 21, 2011
It was a hypothetical argunment that instead of getting a hat. They reimbursed everyone who bought the game with mann co credit equil to what you paid for the game.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Considering I got the game on the Orange Box, technically I only paid 6 dollars for it. I'd say a hat is fine since it's kept its entertainment value well past any other game I've paid 6 dollars for.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Neko Federovna said:
It was a hypothetical argunment that instead of getting a hat. They reimbursed everyone who bought the game with mann co credit equil to what you paid for the game.
Why? What do they owe you? You wanted the game, you bought it. That's how games work, last I checked. Nothing forced you at gunpoint to buy it when you did. I'm happy I got a HAT out of it, I was expecting nothing.

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
well im all welcome to the influxe of new player for me to kill but they could at least give us something better than just the hat maybe £10 to spend in the mann co store?

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
I have the Xbox 360 version of TF2 and while it is still good it isn't as good as the PC version so the fact I can get it for free on PC is a good thing. I have actually been meaning to get it for some time but never really bothered. Its a good way of getting new people into stuff they haven't tried before.

philip1228

May 8, 2011
I didn't even get the hat. I think it's because I bought the TF2/Garry's Mod pack. :(

But anyways, I think free to play is a great idea.

Neko Federovna

Mar 21, 2011
They owe us nothing. The problem is that they opened the door by giveing us hats. And it almsot feels unetical to charge full price for a game that became F2P. Even old game still cost a couple bucks.

Lets say WOW became F2P For all those who pumped Hundreds of dollors into the game would Demand reimbursement in some form.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
isn't that game rather old? i mean its not one of the first games ever but its older than COD so if you bought it a while ago im sure you got your moneys worth. im glad that this game is free because now i finally get to play it. i had a choice between tf2 and cs and i chose cs. now i get to play both without wondering which one is better. Valve did what was right. the game makes more money with the micro transactions then the actual purchase of the game.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Not a single thing has changed thanks to going F2P. Trolls and griefers? That's going to happen in the life of a multiplayer shooter, and servers are equiped to handle those problems. Insult to the people who bought the game? That's sour grapes, if a person bought it, it is because they thought it was worth the money, another persons fortune is not your loss (Especially since you get a few things for buying the game...). Besides, most people go to complain about having to pay when others got the game for free, then remember the hundreds of hours they have put in. Valve is handling this F2P conversion quite well, and seriously...think of the amount of content they have added since release. They have to make money somehow. And this seems to be the most customer friendly way imaginable to be a functioning company. I played TF2 since before the Orange Boxes release, until probably around the sniper update (Nothing made me quit the game, just moved on to different games for varieties sake) and Im thinking I will have to play it again. Lots of Newbies to burn.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
It's kinda cool. Now I can recommend the game to all of my cheapskate friends who haven't bought it yet. And fresh players are always good.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
I bought it when the orange box went on sale for $2.
not really bothered since i really didn't pay for it either.

reddfawks

Jul 29, 2010
Hey, at least I can get my friends to play with me now.

I generally don't like playing against strangers. I can't smack strangers.