Poll: The TF2 Insult

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
I pre-ordered the Orange Box in Oct. 2007 so I don't care at all that its going free.

not big deal

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Vigormortis said:
These self-entitled twits are even going so far as to ***** about Valve giving them free stuff!
They didn't though did they and that's the point, everybody bought this game with their hard earned cash and after a short while they've dumped the charge.
People have a right to be pissed, I don't play TF2 any more and even I'm slightly annoyed at the fact it is now F2P.

The problem with F2P is that anyone can get it now which yes it is the point of a multi player game to have many people playing, however call it elitism if you like but the paying crowd does keep some annoying factors out.
I don't play F2P MMOs any more because the community in Pay to Play is much more bearable.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
I think charging 20 euros for an in game hat was insulting to me. Now I know there are people out there who have spent well over what they paid for the game in in-game items. But to charge 20 euros while the youth here barely makes it with 500 is ludicrous and insulting.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I never got around to buying TF2 due to money [other games kept coming up that I wanted to buy :( ] so I see this as a good thing.

And you know....you can always mute the trolls if they become a problem

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Team Fortress 2 is free, my friends an my girlfriend are playing it, I am pleased.

You and your "baww I paid for it back when it was a REAL game" is gamer hipsterdom. Take it down a notch.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
look on the possible bright side: Valve suddenly making the game entirely free could mean that Team Fortress 3 may be in the works. who knows?

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
hehe i just no some where some PC fanboy is crying out on the internet saying the last bastion of pure PC games has fallen

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
It's becoming free to play just in time for me to get a laptop that will actually run it, I'm happy.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I don't really have an opinion at the moment, I haven't been able to play TF2 in months, it just crashes when loading up a game.

I can't really imagine it turning into a fuck fest, vote kick away any trouble makers and just enjoy being able to play with more peeps.

(if anybody has any suggestions to get it working I would appreciate it, I have uninstalled and reinstalled and I have verified)

I am a bit pissed that I paid for it then when it becomes free all I get is a lil hat, better have some awesome stats.

TheHighway

Dec 2, 2010
I think the restrictions that have been imposed on the free accounts are fair enough, but the fact that we just get a hat is ridiculous. Not that I really care, I can't stand hats.

Weapons and class-pack hats, OK, I get, and they're absolutely fine. The more choices of methods to kill other players the better. But everyday hats, the fanatical devotion to these things in this game kind of makes me sad.

So I just play TF2 for the game, and I'm really not upset it went free as I got to play it beforehand anyway. I wish we'd gotten some special weapons or something, instead of a hat that I'll never wear (Max hat FTW [only worthwhile hat]).

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
La Barata said:
>TF2 is free.
>More people are playing TF2.
>This is a bad thing.
You know, it's really difficult having to explain to console gamers that PC gamers aren't self-entitled unappreciative jerks when stuff like this happens.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Guys, stop pissing on the item system. If you don't want the items, use your classic loadout and shut the fuck up. Nobody likes a whiny little ***** that just goes on and on about every tiny little thing they can come up with that they don't like about the items, or the mannconomy, or the trading or the hats or the store. If you don't like it, DON'T FUCKING USE IT. It's not hard and it's not compulsory.

As for the F2P, well, personally I'm indifferent. The game was losing revenue and rep, and now it's gained a bunch of new players. On the other hand, a good deal of them will be spammy idiots that really don't give a shit about the game, and I can imagine a shit-ton of hackers coming along. So yeah, the pros weigh out the cons evenly, I don't really mind.
I have got no idea what you just said, honestly, I don't care, but DUDE! You're avatar is Epic! Seriously, I've never even watched that Pony thing, but you're avatar has made me interested all of a sudden....

OT : Yes, the RAGE!! We love rage!! I only bought the game a week ago and now I get a hat.... yay?

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Oh how I wish my life was so utterly and totally carefree that something like this would be what really got my panties in a twist. How sweet it would be to lamentably espouse:

"A game that's been out for almost 4 years became free! The peasantry are at the gates! Oh how will I ever cope?"

...on second thought, I just might prefer to keep the sense of proportionality I've attained.
I'm not even going to comment on the main post. Just read this over and over again.

You'd wouldn't expect TF2 to have such an elitist community, but nope. THIS GAME IS SERIOUS TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, there's your reaction. Here's mine: "TF2 is free to play? Gee, I might actually play it."

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
tombman888 said:
You see, this is why we can't have nice things. Heck, even FREE things. Because SOMEONE will ALWAYS find something wrong with it.

Yes its going F2P, yes if you bought the game within the last month and haven't got much out of it you'd feel a bit ripped off. But since you did, your getting more than the F2P'ers. Everyone who bought the game up to here, gets exactly the same as what we've been getting, while people who are using F2P only get a limited amount of thing! (ie: a sixth of the bag space, barely any crafting recipes, not able to trade or give gifts, not able to wear any rares/unusual's)

Then, if these F2P'ers DO want these, they'll pay, and they'll be just like everyone else.

Plus, VALVe even said that they knew it would start to be filled, thus they are keeping closer eyes and tabs on the game, and anyone who hacks/greifs/whatever will be banned.

Also, the game has never been broken, its just been populated with whiners like you.
Pretty much word for word what I would say.

*highfive*

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Let's just ignore the fact that you're being an elitist **** and generalising about people who won't have paid to play TF2 for ("we can't have those poor people playing our game, they'll ruin it", is pretty much what I'm hearing), and focus on these two points:

1) More Hackers/griefers/dickheads

This argument makes some sense I suppose, now that there's no cost to getting the game it's much more appealing to hop on and ruin someone's fun by hacking, but do you honestly think Valve are going to sit by and let TF2 get hacked to shreds? They've supported this game for nearly four years, they're not going to suddenly stop right now, especially since they actually acknowledged this concern in the F2P FAQ:

Q. Won't going Free to Play mean more griefers and cheaters?
We're increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can't ruin your fun. Specifically, we'll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We?ve built systems that'll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly.
2) "But I paid $20 for this game, now it's free, all I got was this hat! Grr I want my money back etc."

This is just so childish. I love how the hundreds of hours of enjoyment people got from this game is now totally irrelevant because it's free, as if you didn't get your money's worth already. I have over 550 hours playing TF2, and for a game that cost me around a tenner, that's just ridiculous value for money, yet you now want this money back? What makes you think you are entitled to that money? If you buy a DVD at release date and cough up £15 for it, and then find the same movie 1 year later in a bargin bin of the same store for £2, you wouldn't go up to the retailer that sold you the DVD and demand they pay you back the difference, that's completely absurd.

And if you didn't like TF2 and forked out money for it, well, suck it up, because everyone wastes money on something they ended up hating at times. I wasted £40 on Metroid: Other M, for instance. Frankly, you're spoilt, and even if Valve gave out free handjobs you'd find a way to complain. Get some fucking perspective.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go delete this account because I have had it with this forum. Most of you are cool, (and the regulars on the TF2 server are ace) but the level of stupidity seems to be increasing by the day.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Come on! It was obviously going to happen. With all those hat purchases and whatnot it was bound to become free-to-play and I believe most people suspected that for quite some time.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Hamish Durie said:
hehe i just no some where some PC fanboy is crying out on the internet saying the last bastion of pure PC games has fallen
lolwut?

With this, there'll be more PC gamers.

I find your lack of logic disturbing, Ein.