Poll: The Trek or The War

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
anthony87 said:
Does Star Wars have this?

The most persuasive argument yet in favor of trekkies, almost enough to make me switch allegiance.

But Star Wars has the better rappers:

And stormtroopers are amongst the best elite dancers of any fictional universe!:

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Trek, first of all it is real sci-fi while wars is space fantasy. Trek I can watch different stories since it is a TV show and therefore had greater longevity. Besides I like the philosophical and political wank fest of trek. Wars is great, but so was lord of the rings, which IMO is a better comparison. I wouldn't' watch lotr or wars over and over again like I would with trek.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
BunnyKillBot said:
If we are ignoring the caveat that one is a television serial and the other film(also ignoring books/extended universe material :p), which are very different and distinct mediums, I elect Star Wars because there is more depth to the potential character perspective of the source material. Star Trek is anally fixated with the exploits and interests of a single, monolithic space exploration enterprise - i.e. USA politics in space.
Someone hasn't seen Deep Space Nine, have they...

<youtube=K-YyL7X4CWw>
<youtube=-D2SHNqkjbY>

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
First thought was "this is a tough one". My second was "Star Trek, definitely".

Star Wars is and was a 70s/80s phenomenon. It has consistently failed to prove itself after the 3 main movies, as grand and epic as they were. Star Trek? Well, it's lasted since the 60s through many worthwhile incarnations, movies and games, and while it has been largely irrelevant for around a decade (I think so anyway) that far exceeds what SW has been able to do.

For the record, I don't think KOTOR or Tie Fighter or Clone Wars were anything great, at least in comparison to the games Star Trek gave us.

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
I used to like hard science to back up my sci-fi, but as I've gotten older, I've become more inclined towards "fantastic stories" type of writing. Fantasy has always been my friend, and so Star Wars embodies my two favourite genres, so it just always "clicked" more than Star Trek did.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Isn't this basically a versus thread?

Also one of great proportions?

Just uh... just be careful that the mods don't lock this down.

Anyway, back on topic: I have to say that both franchises were fucked over later down the line: SW with the prequels and ST with JJ Abrams.

Except I think that Star Wars will be tortured even more by JJ Abrams' mediocre writing and paper-thin characters.

Seriously, if he thought that Chris Pine, a man with a constant, perfect resemblance to a granite slate was the right choice to play a notoriously charismatic, slightly camp, ladies' man, then I fear for Star Wars.

God, he might even decide to pick Matthew Broderick for a leading role.

[small]I should stop digressing[/small]

Yeah, Star Wars because at least the new movies seem like they might be interesting, and if the writing is still mediocre, Harrison Ford will be making a return and that's good enough for me.

Also because I never got into Star Trek so I cannot say if it is better, but it does have a longer track record of actual goodness than Star Wars did.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
While I enjoy both thoroughly I would have to say at this current time in my life Star Trek, the reason is Trek has philosophy and is "more scientifically plausible" (although it has huge holes in it's science it only wins because Star Wars breaks so much). Although as a child and through much of adolescence I had no interest in Trek but found Star Wars enthralling.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
BunnyKillBot said:
If we are ignoring the caveat that one is a television serial and the other film(also ignoring books/extended universe material :p), which are very different and distinct mediums, I elect Star Wars because there is more depth to the potential character perspective of the source material. Star Trek is anally fixated with the exploits and interests of a single, monolithic space exploration enterprise - i.e. USA politics in space.
Character depth? In star wars? All the characters are basic fantasy archetypes, wizard, princess, dark knight, evil overlord, hidden magic powers ect.

I think you must mean something else, trek portrays the crew as actual people, well in TNG era at least, although aliens are too human.

I wouldn't call it trek us politics, starfleet are practically morally superior arrogant space communists.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I would say that I have come to love Trek more simply because there is more of it and that allowed them to really explore new ideas about humanity, life, and the nature of the Universe.

I've always liked to imagine that Star Trek and Star Wars are taking place in the same universe, just on oppisite ends, and one day, they will meet up to form Star Trek Wars.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
As a child, I disliked Star Wars & loved me some Star Trek. As an adult, I just hate anything set in a bland metalic environment with no trees or grass (pretty much eliminating sci-fi as a whole from things I will watch or play), but Star Wars is like D&D in space, so I will pick it over the two.

Jan 29, 2009
I would say Star Wars, I like its universe better. I like Star Trek a lot, but it's rather inconsistent with itself and the episodic nature means some events are designed with the status quo in mind, rather than advancing the story.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Wars. I've not seen much of Trek, but everything I have seen has done sooooo little to convince me to care more. Plus you know, lightsabers and stuff.

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
I'll say it this once, Star Trek. But only because it seems a more logical step. Human beings in general are hardwired for friendships Don't believe me? Take a look at social media these days it's literally a sounding board for everything we have accomplished as a species. Now compare that to the events in Star Trek Galactic Exploration the protection of civil rights diversity Xenobiology. about a century ago these things could not have been said of human beings. Although this fact is burnt into our very core. Kirk had it right in alienable human right the struggle to be more then we are. It's not just for humans. For all intelligent life. Star Wars literally defeats that very nature the struggle. And when you look deep enough into it you'll realize it is following a formulated pattern. From the Old Republic to the new Era. And while I can appreciate the tactics that go into war in general as much as the next person. I think as a species we would eventually rise above it.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Star Wars.

something about how humanity is in Star Trek just irks me to no end. Its all protocols, and no thinking (except for the hero of course). Its stagnation, and the death of creativity.

Hell, I will take the terrans/humans from the X3 universe games over the Federation. Yea, sometimes the Terrans are raging @#$holes, but they are clever and resourceful as hell (to the point where they can take on the whole universe and hold their own)

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
After watching 90% of all of what star trek has to offer and 100% of what star wars has to offer... there's just so much more quality and universally loved Star Trek than there is of Star Wars. And I would rather have more quality content than less

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
I love Star Trek and love the more grounded feel to it science-wise but it just gets too damned dry sometimes. Maybe I'm spoiled by special effects but I have to force myself to sit through some of the episodes. There's also the fact that most of its content is 90's and earlier. It feels a bit like a classical stage performance, only on tv. It's cool sometimes but not always invigorating. It's chill and thoughtful to Star Wars' vibrant and active. Depends on the mood I suppose. I really dig the more outrageous and daring sci-fi elements of Star Wars that border on fantasy. It feels more alive. When I watch Star Wars I'm excited. When I watch Star Trek I'm amused.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rhizhim said:
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/jar-.jpeg
Is he asking "U mad bro?"

itse notse so basde as the choicese star warse hadse..
Nah, it's pretty damn bad. Most of the TNG movies are. Probably all. I'm couching myself here in case there's a good one I forgot about.

See, I'm torn right here. My prior post was mostly just to have a little fun, but it's like the gauntlet was thrown down and Star Trek has some godawful shit in it. Do I just roll with the humour, or do I start going through the much larger Trek back catalogue for garbage?

...Meh. I split the difference.

My heart's not in mudslinging Star Trek, so I'll stick with comically bad.