Poll: The Trek or The War

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
This is a VERY tough decision when you consider t.v/movies AND games. There are a TON of great Star Wars games out there. It's clearly the better franchise for gaming which is my hobby of choice.

However, I ultimately voted for Star Trek. In it's current form it offers far more entertainment value than Star Wars. Star Trek is a franchise has covered all sorts of genres with success. I can watch it for mystery, comedy, drama, action, etc. The franchise has better storytelling, humour, characters, and investment into the lore for me.

My mother was a trekkie and I bonded with her later on in life through the show.
I have some good memories with Star Wars and my friends but it's just not the same.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
If I had to choose at gunpoint I would say Star Wars, but only because of the lore and the fun factor. I like Star Trek as well, but it never truly clicked with me to the same degree, probably because I like fantasy more than sci-fi.

On another note, why do I have to choose again? I never understood why would be an either/or deal, especially taken how incredibly different the settings, the metaphysics and the general narrative of the two universes.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I like them both but I respect forced choice polls.

I'd have to go for Star Wars. Because I love the mandolorians and the idea of being a sith.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
Star Trek. More plausible plot, and more Sci rather than Fi. Which is my magic formula. Though I predict Wars will win, because, well, average joe.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Never really got into star trek. The new movies are pretty good but the show goes right over my head and fails to keep me interested. Star Wars has good movies, some really good games and an amazingly passionate fan base that seems to be a bit more diverse than the star trek fan base. Star Wars is a cultural phenomenon all across the world. Star Wars gets my vote for many reasons. KOTOR was also a game that changed the way I viewed what video games could be. That is pretty substantial.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
I would have said Star Wars years ago, without a doubt. Now, I just can't stomach the prequels. Their creation really turned me off. I still love the original trilogy, but I can't say I enjoy all six movies as a whole.

So, I've got to go with Star Trek. Granted they have some hit or miss movies, but nothing that's unwatchable. I mean traveling through time to save whales is a bit on the goofy side, but at least it's still enjoyable to watch. Even the Abrams films aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Add in the multiple TV series and Trek is hard to beat.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Babylon5?
Yeah, I know original, but there are plenty of good sci-fi shows/movies out there, so...

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Star Wars for me, it just seems the more colorful and vibrant universe in comparison to one seemingly filled with variants of humans.

Not that I don't have problems with Star Wars and in particular how freewill is an illusion in that universe (the force controls and wills everything!) but if Star Trek gives a vision of a possible hopeful future for humanity, Star Wars remains the best for sheer escapism and fantasy, which is what wins it in my book.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
When I was a kid, I loved the hell out of Star Wars. I thought it was so cool to see all those weird aliens, lightsabers, and starships blasting each other with lasers.

But then...

I grew up. And I realized how child-like most of the writing in the Star Wars series was.

Trek, on the other hand, offered me everything Star Wars did but with the added bonus of hard-sci-fi concepts and good character drama.

Don't get me wrong. I still hold Empire Strikes Back as filmic brilliance. And I still love (some) of the rest of the series. I'd even go so far as to list a few Star Wars games as being in my list of favorite games.

However, Trek just offers me more.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Star Wars. I love most of the OT and many of the EU novels. I try not to think about the ewoks and prequels.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It depends. Next Gen wins out over a lot of Star Wars for me but I can't think of a single, good Star Trek game that would even be a match for the legendary Battlefront 2 &, Knights of the Old Republic combo.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
I'm assuming we're talking Trek TV+movies vs Wars movies? If so - Trek. If we go into books, comics, videogames et cetera, then Wars by a wide margin.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I wouldn't be able to make that decision. I haven't seen enough of Trek to properly get a handle on my opinion of it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I don't choose. I enjoy both equally in their similar yet diametrically opposed positions within the SciFi genre. One is about a galaxy in chaos being restored to order, the other is about order spreading through the galaxy's chaos. Interesting how that works out to be similar but not the same.

Captcha: Seriously fuck off Flo, I don't want your savings.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I find Star Trek more intellectually interesting, since they like to tackle more social issues and try to resolve things diplomatically more often, but then Star Wars whooshes in on their speeder Harley with a lightsaber on their belt and I think, "Awesome!" Star Wars wins for being a bit more exciting and action-packed than Trek (if I had to pick), but I love them both.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
As someone that could never get into any extended universe (except for Halo), I prefer Star Trek, at least, Next Generation. Sure the effects are bad, the sets look like they're out of the 70's, the acting can be a little off in the first season and Wesley is a walking deus ex machina, but the stories are just so good! And characters get time for proper development.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but I've also watched those movies so many times that I can recite most of the original trilogy, despite it being over 4 years since I've seen one of the movies. But right now, StarTrek is new and exciting for me.

Plus, how can you not like the Crusher/Picard banter?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rhizhim said:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070613213327/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ae/Tommygun-picard.jpg
See, I'd personally think Trekkies would want to distance themselves from Star Trek TNG: The B-version of Wrath of Khan when making a positive assertion about the series.

It'd be like a SW fan summing up his support for the franchise with this: