Poll: Think you think straight? Think again...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
While the idea behind this test is good, the issues listed are complex and covered in grey areas. There would have had to be many more choices in order for the test to have any kind of accuracy.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
Originally had 20% tension but it came down to 13% when I read their explanation for the conflict between objective truths and the holocaust so I changed myself to disagree on "17. There are no objective truths about matters of fact; "truth" is always relative to particular cultures and individuals"

I had
You agreed that:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures
And also that:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil

And I'm happy to say that my thinking the Rwandan genocide is only evil from my cultures point of view.

Also had
You agreed that:
The environment should not be damaged unnecessarily in the pursuit of human ends
But disagreed that:
People should not journey by car if they can walk, cycle or take a train instead

Which is basically a question about what's "necessary", I had to think about the fact that I've been driving to school a lot this year when before I used to walk. I don't consider it too serious though since if I lived in a place where the culture isn't based around driving and there was good public transit I would have no problems giving up on driving my own car.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Baneat said:
"High - I'm the leader of the Liberal Democrats"

Can you list some examples of contradictions the Lib Dems hold? just curious, haven't actually looked into modern political philosophies employed by parties yet.

conflictofinterests said:
I wonder how we could re-state the statements to be both more all-encompassing and more layman-friendly.

I wonder if there is a way to circumvent the words "objective" and "subjective" entirely...
Hm, "Matter of taste/opinion" and "Matter of fact"?

I see the issue here, the guy's reaching out to people with a layman's interest and blindsiding them with terminology that stretches into srs bsnss
Not contradictions, but hypocritcal behaviours. Nick Clegg assured potential voters that he would abolish the uni tuition fees if elected to power. He signed a declaration which was photographed by the press.

Few months later, Clegg is second in command and pulls a U-turn on the issue claiming he and his lib dem cabinet ministers never supported the idea in the first place... No Mr Clegg, of course you didn't.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Chrinik said:
See, that´s the thing. You gotta look at how the questions are written.
You didn´t say "Genocide is bad!" you agreed that Genocide is a TESTIMENT to the human ability to do great evil...which is contradictory if you believe there are no objective moral standarts, because evil differs from culture to culture, even from person to person, and therefore, if you believe that, genocide must not be a testiment to humans ability to do great evil, because that would mean that EVERYONE agrees it is evil...

You also didn´t say "one person may drive a car" you said "It is okay to drive a car if you could walk", which makes it okay for EVERYONE...so when everyone is allowed to drive a car to their mail-slot, then that contradicts your statement that the environment should not be unnecesarly damaged...

But yeah, trains are "less" enviromentally damaging, but it seems like they don´t require fuel...they do, it is just not used in the train, but in the Power Plant that makes the energy for the train to run.
But if evil is relative, which I said it was, I would also say that I thought genocide was evil. Option A says "Morality is objective because genocides can happen" while Option C says "Genocide is evil." The question should state "everyone thinks genocide is wrong." No, obviously not everyone thinks genocide is wrong, otherwise it wouldn't happen.

Also, most trains in the US run on diesel.

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
Raven said:
The question didn't say "In my opinion, Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists"...
It may as well; the question is a matter of agreeing and disagreeing, not a matter of true and false. When I punched in that I "agree" with the statement "Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists", I am doing exactly that: saying that I agree with the statement. I am saying that I believe the statement to be true, not that the statement is objectively true.

My Tension Quotient is 20%.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Chrinik said:
Raven said:
Atheist - Meaning one who does not believe in Gods. This does automatically assume the statement "There are no Gods".
Fixed! There are a ton of hypothetical and possible gods...and most religious seem to be politheistic, so there.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll update the OP.
TheDrunkNinja said:
Oh, you misunderstood me. I was just rambling on again about emotional and psychological harm again. Physically harming oneself can cause just as much, if not more, emotional or psychological harm to another, regardless if they are present during the specific act. Physically harming oneself is almost always due to and continually causes psychological or emotional issues (and I'm not referring to tastes in sexuality or of that subject). Our psychological and emotional state partially defines our behavior to other people. And the fact that behavior is such a sporadic, unpredictable thing, I feel it is best to minimize our mental stress as much as possible. There are so many factors as to how behavior of a person is defined to the point where behavior defines behavior. Acts that I do in the world will always have an impact on other people, whether good or ill (depending on the perspective) such acts may lead to such extreme feelings as guilt or even feeling a boost or drop in morale. That alone will effect how we act and treat people.

But now I'm over thinking this far too much. Far too many factors for anyone to analyze and connect for there to be a conclusive answer.

Oh, also, this thread was awesome. I always enjoy a little intellectual stimulation in my day. :D
Sorry I realised I misunderstood your tone shortly after I posted. And glad you enjoyed the thread. Hopefully I've helped broaden a few minds....

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
See, I dislike tests that only allow two options. Strongly agree, agree, no opinion, disagree and strongly disagree works much better.

0% anyways.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
13%. Pretty good? o_O

(Also: "None - I am the chairman of the Vulcan Ethics Committee" made me laugh a bit. :p )

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
SideburnsPuppy said:
Raven said:
The question didn't say "In my opinion, Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists"...
It may as well; the question is a matter of agreeing and disagreeing, not a matter of true and false. When I punched in that I "agree" with the statement "Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists", I am doing exactly that: saying that I agree with the statement. I am saying that I believe the statement to be true, not that the statement is objectively true.

My Tension Quotient is 20%.
I think the question is the worst written in the whole test for sure. But I can only figure that the author wanted you to consider both the implicit and explicit meaning of a statement. Depending on how you read it will determine whether or not you got a contradiction.

As it can be seen as both an objective and a subjective statement, I guess you were supposed to consider the objectivity above all else.

And to be fair, it should have been an obvious set up given the previous questions...

Eroen

Aug 2, 2010
[wikipedia reference, Evil]
My criticism might have been somewhat blunt, but after recently having read a (select) number of texts on group dynamics and finding the closest thing to research (in published papers) to be "I haven't seen this in twenty years, so it can't exist" my doubt in certain prejudices is weakened.

I would assume the questions get their intended meaning across to native readers of English, if they don't study the sentence structure too much or too little. If it was targeted at a specific community with it's own norms on text; all the better.

I would like to present the view that complexity in beliefs is extremely individual and dependent on culture, since it is strongly connected with how one associates different concepts in groups. Compare with how cultures have different number of colors.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
33%, which is a low rating. That test was absolute bollocks anyway, so I'm not caring too much.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Catalyst6 said:
While the idea behind this test is good, the issues listed are complex and covered in grey areas. There would have had to be many more choices in order for the test to have any kind of accuracy.
Yes they are, but that doesn´t matter.
If the test asks you "Is moral subjective?" And you say "Yes, it is.", and then afterwards say that "Genocide is a testiment of humans ability to do great evil.", then that contradicts itself, because YOU said, there is no objective morals...
The test doesn´t find out if you are right or wrong, it simply tells you if you contradict yourself in your views, if there is tension. This doesn´t mean that there is a problem with you or that your answers are correct.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
I don´t get it, the test tells you what it means with it´s answers, and how they are contradictory, and people still don´t get it.

"The PHC report below lists pairs of beliefs which are identified as being 'in tension'. What this means is either that: (1) There is a contradiction between the two beliefs or (2) Some sophisticated reasoning is required to enable both beliefs to be held consistently. In terms of action, this means in each case you should either (1) Give up one of the two beliefs or (2) Find some rationally coherent way of reconciling them."

Meaning it is generally possible to be in tension, when you have a rational and logical explainaition of WHY...
Reading this thread, most people seem to have...or just misunderstood the test. But critisized it anyway on the basis it is "wrong"...it is not. You just told the test what you think is right or wrong, not what IS right or wrong.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I read the questions, and answers, and didn't bother taking the test. Why? It's so flawed it's pointless. There are no absolutes in the real world, every question is dependent on undefined parameters (using question no8 as a perfect example: "It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence"-define suitable evidence for a start) and, basically, the test is pointless. Is this supposed to be an Atheists tool for proving that religious people are stupid, and don't think straight? Because it's a fucking joke if it is.

Oh, and OP: Atheism is a belief, like Agnosticism, Theism and suchlike. Is it a faith? Atheists commit themselves to a belief based on texts, other peoples teachings, and a conviction. To me, that sounds like a religion. For people who don't care or know, I think the term "apathetic" is more relevant.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Are judgements of art purely a subjective matter?

vs

Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists
I can agree that you might not like michealangelo, but to the question of whether or not he's one of history's finest artists I agree.
I fail to see the contradiction.

ah, explanation is forthcoming on the site, but they are not asking if I think EVERYONE thinks he is, surely the widespread appreciation is a show of largely overlapping tastes between people rather than saying it is objectively good.

You agreed that:
Severe brain-damage can rob a person of all consciousness and selfhood
And also that:
On bodily death, a person continues to exist in a non-physical form

As I believe that we all arrive at the afterlife (of whatever sort it takes) in the state we die, this is not a contradiction.

You agreed that:
Having made a choice, it is always possible that one might have chosen otherwise
And also that:
The future is fixed, how one's life unfolds is a matter of destiny

this more calls into question the idea of onipotence - with perfect knowledge, you know what someone will do - so the future can both be fixed, yet it be a choice you made.

You agreed that:
So long as they do not harm others, individuals should be free to pursue their own ends
But disagreed that:
The possession of drugs for personal use should be decriminalised

This could have been solved by a "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree" scale.
Regardless of the fact that you can proove the detrimental effects of people taking drugs on society as a whole.

I have put a fair amount of thought into these.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
27%

This was rather elementary but the last part of it is one they completely missed the boat. It says:
You agreed that:
Severe brain-damage can rob a person of all consciousness and selfhood
And also that:
On bodily death, a person continues to exist in a non-physical form

These two beliefs are not strictly contradictory, but they do present an awkward mix of world-views. On the one hand, there is an acceptance that our consciousness and sense of self is in some way dependent on brain activity, and this is why brain damage can in a real sense damage 'the self'. Yet there is also the belief that the self is somehow independent of the body, that it can live on after the death of the brain. So it seems consciousness and selfhood both is and is not dependent on having a healthy brain. One could argue that the dependency of the self on brain only occurs before bodily death. The deeper problem is not that it is impossible to reconcile the two beliefs, but rather that they seem to presume wider, contradictory world-views: one where consciousness is caused by brains and one where it is caused by something non-physical.

Non-physical existence comes in all type of flavors. They define existing as "being alive/conscious" which is wrong.

What I actually believe is that we continue to exist after death in people's memories and in the signs we've left on the world. It isn't an eternal existence either, which seems like what this question was aiming at (souls and whatnot) but it is an existence and it is after death.

This is basically something philosophy 101 would have you do.