Poll: Time travel, is it possible?

Diablini

May 24, 2009
Proteus214 said:
It's been proven theoretically possible, but the circumstances prove it to be highly improbable, also you can only travel to the future.
Yes, It is impossible with our current resources as time travel would need more energy that the universe has.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
stinkychops said:
While you are correct, I think it is irrational to ask for proof of passage of time versus perception of time, when neither theory is more proven then the other. No conclusion should be made (as correct as your info is), when the possiblility remains.
Ah, I didn't really mean it, I was just trying to make a point. The majority of people will understand a concept better if you ask a basic question of them that forces them to think through it logically rather than simply telling them "this is the way it is" (though I certainly did plenty of that in my post as well).

Though I think deep down, some part of my was wondering if there was some supergenius lurking about who could provide proof one way or the other xP

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
stinkychops said:
It is just a cloning machine, regardless of semantics, surely you would admit that the whole point of a teleport is that it moves the object.
Hence the use of tele.
I don't understand what you mean. It's not just a cloning machine. It's a cloning machine that can take information given from a long distance away (tele(!)) and create a perfect copy. The outcome of "moving the object" or of "creating a perfect clone and then destroying the original" are completely equivalent (except that the former is constricted by the fact that matter can't travel at the speed of light, whereas information can). Just because it doesn't correspond to your preconceptions of what a teleporter is, doesn't mean it isn't.

Unit Alpha

Jan 3, 2009
No, time is a relative thing based on the speed of light. Even if you could go back in time by traveling faster than the speed of light, it would still be impossible because to go FTL, you would have to break the time-space continuum (sorry Mass Effect).

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
darkless said:
Yes it's possible and no changes yo make to the past would affect your future it would create an alternate universe and your reality would remain untouched.

Anyway physics says travel forward is theoretically possible but travel backwards is not.
As this guy said, the only way to avoid paradoxes would be to take advantage of alternate universes which were exactly the same as ours except offset in time. That way you're not actually time traveling per se, you are simply moving from one universe to another which happens to be exactly the same but at a different point in time. Then you can break whatever you want and it won't affect us.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
I say it is possible. Humans just do not know how yet. I also say that we should never have the ability to time travel as even the most brilliant of humans are too unpredictable and unwise to use it with out fucking up reality as we know it.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I'm travelling in time right now!

Forward... at the speed of regular time...

So yes its very possible! Now if you excuse me I'm headed off to September 5th 2009!

*WOOSH! BLIP BLOP BLOOP! [VARIOUS OTHER TIME MACHINE SOUNDS] WHIZZURAZZARTAZZAR!!!*

Feb 13, 2008
stinkychops said:
A better Paradox would ofcourse be to travel back in time and shoot yourself.
Ok, same 5 reasons against it.
1) Shoot and Kill?
2) Are you sure it's you?
3) Eliminated by the forces of Time. (Be that Time Police, Gravity or just Occam's Razor)
4) You can't, it always goes wrong.
5) You didn't travel back in time, you just thought you did.

and a further one.

Blinovitch Limitation: As you attempt it, there's a huge release of temporal energy that eliminates you both.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
This is assuming that time is completely linear on one plane. But if you were to go back in time and kill somone who birthed you that would have already happened because time is relative. Even if you did go back in time, anything you did would have no affet on your history because your history already happened which included the signifigant change. The people who's time you are in lives will be changed but yours cannot be because it has already happened.

Let's look at it this way. You lived 19.3 years. You used a time machine and went back in time. You spent .7 years in the past. you are now 20 years old. Your time is still being made regardless of what you do in the past. Ok, beyond this crazy rambling I think a logical viewpoint (As logical as possible) is that time is simultaneous. The graphic novel "Watchmen" gave an interesting take on that theory. That everything happens at the same time we just live it at different times in parallel existences.

Edit: So to summarize time travel would not be backwards or forwards. More like sideways.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
The87Italians said:
Time travel is like religion: Some people believe in it, some don't but no one really knows for sure.
Well said, McDonagh. I think that you're probably right, although theoretically it should work.

aebonhawk

Apr 29, 2009
Is time travel possible? Probably. Is it attainable by humans? Probably not.

That said- I'd kill for a TARDIS! Lot's of running involved though.

Sep 4, 2009
We are travelling through time. Not in a way that makes for great science fiction admitably.

Is time travel possible: yes.

Do we have the technology, right now, to prove I'm right? No.

But I'm fairly sure the naysayers just suffer from fashionable small mindedness.

"The Sun revolves around the Earth", "Man will never fly like a bird" and "Man will never touch the moon" were all very fashionable and popular beliefs until the freaks on the fringe started screwing around with their tools.