Poll: Time travel, is it possible?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
soren7550 said:
Time travel is impossible. There's no way to bend time forwards or backwards.
No known way.
It's kind of like teleportation: it sounds nice but it will never work and never happen. Hell, for teleportation to work you'd have to be able to create a machine that could break something down past its atoms, send them somewhere else and put them all back together. People are made up of trillions of atoms, and trying to remove & put back the most simple of items/organisms that there is next to impossible. No complex organism can be teleported in any such matter.
Exactly; that's why the way teleportation would actually work is by making a perfect copy on the other side, and then destroying the original.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
It's as possible as traveling faster then the speed of light is. Which means in theory yes, in reality no.

theklng

May 1, 2008
soren7550 said:
Time travel is impossible. There's no way to bend time forwards or backwards.

It's kind of like teleportation: it sounds nice but it will never work and never happen. Hell, for teleportation to work you'd have to be able to create a machine that could break something down past its atoms, send them somewhere else and put them all back together. People are made up of trillions of atoms, and trying to remove & put back the most simple of items/organisms that there is next to impossible. No complex organism can be teleported in any such matter.
just to take you as an example: please shut up when you don't know what you're talking about. unless you're one of the scientists of CERN (which you are not), hold a degree in physics (which you do not) or at least know the basic about quantum physics (not something you know), your opinion is void.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Danz D Man said:
darkless said:
Yes it's possible and no changes yo make to the past would affect your future it would create an alternate universe and your reality would remain untouched.

Anyway physics says travel forward is theoretically possible but travel backwards is not.
Physics says traveling backwards through time it completely possible.
One of the main theories of antimatter is that it is matter moving backwards through time.
I'll have to check that out been a while since i updated my time traveling information.

Babypummeler

Aug 30, 2009
I think time traveling unleashes C'thulu from the netherworld... well I guess if you pull one of my minions from another plane of existence, that would really help me conquer this silly world... but uh yea, look up the butterfly effect, you would warp yourself from traveling backwards, or you create another string of existence....

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
Time travel is like religion: Some people believe in it, some don't but no one really knows for sure.

cowbell40

Jun 12, 2009
My answer is a resounding "kind of". If you count traveling further away from or very close to a gravitational source (clocks tick differently at the rooftop of your house than in the basement, and we've all heard of how time slows down relative to the observer when near, say, a black hole) as "time travel", then it's a weak yes. You could argue that this is technically time travel, although it's really more just time dilation at work.

I believe that you can't just connect back to a previous point in the space-time continuum as we see in movies, but that you can change the rate at which you appear to change from an observer's point of view. So, from the standpoint of the classic version of time travel, I'd have to say no.

If you could just snap back to a point in time along the time axis of our observable dimensions, I don't believe that say, killing your mother, would cause you to stop existing/never be able to commit the act in the first place etc. because of all the issues of causality that arise if such possibilities occur. I guess that, assuming you can even "time travel" in the first place, I'd say I'm a fan of the alternate timeline theory (which has problems of its own, but at the very least preserves causality better) in which the previous "kill your mom" scenario would simply result in your mom being dead and you still existing (as an evil bastard, no less).

mongolloid

Jun 27, 2009
I actually have a time traveling watch. I have on al the time, but it only goes forward at regular speed.

Aug 13, 2009
is it possible? no, not with our technology right now, and even if sometime in the future we manage to find a way to travil through time the plane of time you travil to will effectively become your present, so you really never passed through time at all.... a real mindfuck all and all

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
Never will happen for an obvious reason: It hasn't happened yet. No matter where or when you are, someone will try to cheat their way to fame and fortune, and something that would be as big a deal as a time travel machine would be fairly easy to cheat, watch.
*Sees time travel machine*
*Buys it and goes back in time to before the first one was made*
*Sells as their own*
Rinse and repeat.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I don't think "Time Travel" is possible, but I bet we'll find ways to bend and manipulate time