Poll: Torchlight 2, everything Diablo 3 should have?

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
Xzi said:
Activision did not start out as a hated publisher. They had to earn that. So while others may just be jumping on the bandwagon of hate, people like me can cite very specific examples of franchises/developers they have ruined. And now you can add Blizzard to that list.
You know what? I think you've got that backwards. Blizzard was the first to do all the things that people hate Activision for.

Selling games for $60 and general priciness? That's been around with Blizzard for a while. Diablo 2 Battle Chest is still $40 or EUR 30.

Removing cutscenes from a game and releasing as a separate DVD? That made some noise when Kotick "invented" it. Yeah, Diablo 2 and Starcraft Cinematic DVDs did that first. Here, the bundle with both + Warcraft 3 is still in stock on Amazon.com [http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Entertainment-Collection-Warcraft-Starcraft-Pc/dp/B00006SG4T], it can be yours for just 70 bucks.

Activision didn't invent addictive games or skinner boxes or whatever. Diablo 1 and 2 were extremely addictive, as was World of Warcraft. Addictiveness, however, does not exclude fun, it's just a different form of entertainment. Grinding can be fun, too.

Blizzard is also pretty good at merchandising. They have tons of stuff to sell to the fans, from mouse pads to CCGs, to figurines. And they have at least two regular conventions of their own, BlizzCon and Blizzard Invitational. Meanwhile, Activision is musing about adding subscriptions or minitransactions to their shooters.

Activision has a lot to learn from Blizzard about making money. The reason they are hated for things they are taking from Blizzard's book and Blizzard isn't, is because Kotick talks too much and doesn't actually do anything useful, while Blizzard stays quiet and provides great service for great games. So unless Blizzard already was on that list and you're just listing it for the second time, adding it now is a little late.

Maniclings

Jan 14, 2010
Xzi said:
Maniclings said:
Better idea = don't do a cash auction house. The solution to crack use is not to legalize crack. The solution to gold farming is not to legalize and encourage more gold farming.

Holy shit, are you really that ignorant? There are whole first-world countries out there still that have either bad internet availability, or limits on the amount of data you can transfer via your connection. 1% my ass.

Yes, I still go to and enjoy LAN parties. A local college hosts a rather large yearly one, and it's fun as heck. I guarantee there are LAN parties that happen often in your area too, but you don't have to be social. That's your right. But here we go again...because someone has a differing opinion from you/Blizzard they must be doing something wrong, correct? Must be a pirate or something to want to play the game with other real people present and not just online. Derp. I don't care how you played Diablo 2. I care about how I played it, and how I would want to play Diablo 3. And Blizzard has taken away a good 50% of how I enjoyed playing it.

The difference is that the people buying/selling items out of game was a very niche thing. People tended to avoid it if possible because you could lose your account for it. You could still get the best/rarest items in the game with gold or trade with other items. But with the in-game auction house looming over the heads of people with the promise of actual cash, I can damn near guarantee that all of the best/rarest items will be found there and nowhere else. It's a matter of risk versus reward. Now there's no risk and the potential for a much greater reward. So yeah, Blizzard will be making the profit off of selling their game's soul. Good for them I guess? Already covered this. Desire for profit is fine until it starts cutting into the point which it hinders a player's ability to play how they want to play. And they way overstepped that line with this one.
How is having an in game auction house at all similar to drug use? That is a REALLY bad analogy, and I'm sure victims of drug abuse crime are much worse off than people who dont win in pvp because they didn't buy item x from the auction house. I mean people who gold farm are much better off than people you drug mule. Your analogy is really weird and comparing things from COMPLETELY different scales. I guess in the end (by your terrible example) you actually can't think of a better option for blizzard to prevent spam in their auction house, so it still stands as a good solution.

While at uni I had a very limited internet download, like 1Gig a month, the uni provided a little program that let me monitor the net useage, games that I thought would eat heaps of my data actually took very little, so i don't think D3 will be eating my net up like crazy, so i don't really think it will have a huge impact on dl limit. Please look at the numbers of people in the 1st world with no internet access http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm, Now you can say there are some low percentages there but really compare it with the percentage of gamers in those countries and the percentage of them that are gonna want to play D3 anyway.
It's not going to be a cheap game, so people who can't afford a net connection will probably have issues with the starting price anyway. I highly doubt the number of people that will be effected by only online play is really going to make a dent on the number of people that will have completely no problem with it.

It's nice that you have fun at a local yearly lan, I'm sure you game more often than 1 year though... And I'm sorry but we don't all find the height of social fun to be in a room with a bunch of other people playing games that we could be doing in the comfort of our own homes in our spare time to relax from a hard days work. I spend my social time doing other things, like shopping, going out for a dance, having coffee, anything but not sit in front of a monitor in a room full of sweaty gross males.

I don't think that your opinion is wrong because it is different to mine(I'm not even sure how Blizzard comes into my opinion), I am asking for a valid reason why your argument that only online play and an auction house completely ruins your ability to play the game. It has nothing to do with opinion, it is to do with real reasons why the game is now impossible, or less enjoyable, to play.

So 50% of your enjoyment of the game was playing once a year at a LAN? single player when you had no internet? You don't even know how it's going to play, or how much enjoyment you will get from it vs diablo 2. So again Blizzard is making item selling legit and being able to make a profit from their own game, rather than ebay or some randoms in a forum, HOW TERRIBLE!!! all the enjoyment is gone because you can sell items in a store you don't even have to visit during the entire game experience.
So it is ok to sell or trade items for D3 gold, but not for real money? THEN PLAY HARDCORE MODE o;

Hardcore versus Softcore

Trade in the Auction House is separated between game modes. Hardcore characters cannot use the softcore auction house, and vice versa. In addition to this, hardcore characters may only use the gold-based auction house. Any and all items, including characters for sale, may only be purchased with gold.

rosefyre

Oct 20, 2011
well it looks great, sounds great but when on earth is it due to be released?
especially here in australia

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Seriously is there any competition at all. diablo 3 is going to be a billion times better than the pos known as torchlight 2. i played torchlight 1 it go to the unplayably boring stage in less than 2 hours. both diablo 1 and 2 have never gotten there for me. the only reason why i dont play them anymore is because they look like shit compared to more modern games. i seriously can not see torchlight 2 being much of an improvement on torchlight 1. when i got torchlight 1 i was like ok i know im gonna enjoy this game because its made by ex diablo devs. but i was surprised when it turned out to be an absolute pos. there is no way that i will ever invest the $20 for torchlight. but i am more than willing to invest the $100+ in diablo 3 because i know it will be an awesome game and i know that i am going to be playing it for a very long time. and looking at wats coming out next year im thinkin diablo 3 is gonna grab goty.

sanguis3k

Oct 18, 2008
i have waited too damn long for a new Diablo game to skip it.

if it turns out utter crap then it just means i will not buy anything from Blizzard again which is highly unlikely in my opinion given their usual standards of maybe not being the most innovative but giving enjoyable games overall

and Torchlight 2 i will buy just because the first game was such a good dungeon crawler