Poll: Toronto School Bans Hard Balls - Do You Agree?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
They should theach the kids via internet in their homes. Getting to school is WAY to dangerous.
Seriously overconcerned failing parents, grow some of yourself.

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
It sucks that someone was hurt with a hard ball, but it wasn't done with ill will. As the article states, it was an accident.

Does anyone remember the injuries we had as kids? Man, some were big, other small but I am sure we didn't stop playing because of them.

I am glad the parents are taking action and have called for a meeting.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Really? They're banning balls now? What harm can they possibly do other than bruise if kicked into someone deliberately, THEY'RE BALLS!

Although, now I have this stupid line in my head which I must share with you:
Yo dawg, I heard you like hard balls so I kicked hard balls into your hard balls so you can play with hard balls while playing with your hard balls

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well parents are whiny and stupid, its probably best we don't allow them to play with anything that they could hurt themselfs with.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
And yet some <url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/After-16-year-old-hockey-player-dies-safety-deb?urn=nhl-wp17481>kid just died recently after he got his throat crushed by a hockey puck and Canada's doing shit all about that except to say maybe we should ban shot blocking.

Canada folks, they see a problem and decide to answer in the most retarded way possible.

*sigh*

EDIT:

WAIT A MINUTE!

Those soccer ball cages in the video, are those made out of METAL?? Is that what looks like cyclone fencing? So what, They werent worried someone may take a spill and kill themselves on those, but they're worried someone may get hit in the head with a ball. Wow, priorities.

chaosph3nx

Jan 23, 2011
Absolutely not.
The school needs to exercise better supervision and discipline with hard ball activities. Since I last checked, excessive force isn't part of any school sports.

targren

May 13, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Canada folks, they see a problem and decide to answer in the most retarded way possible.
*sigh*
They need to knock that shit off, RIGHT NOW.

That's OUR schtick!

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
My elementary school banned hard balls. Guess what, not one of the students stop playing soccer. Stupid staff is just stupid sometimes.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
The sad thing is how unsurprising this is getting. My school banned us from playing tag and bulldog last year.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
As someone in this thread has already said, I don't blame the school for it (modern liability laws are rather ridiculous), I do think it's rather excessive. It's very much an overreaction, but there are legitimate reasons for it.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I get it you don,t want to use them for stuff like dodge ball but usually you don,t use your head for football YOU USE YOUR FOOT! if you are afraid of a hard ball against your head (tea bagging?) just wear a helmet got a soft ball in MY hard balls and I,m perfectly fine!

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Hard balls are known killers among the populous, I'm glad these guys are thinking of the future of our children and protecting them from such dangers.

/endsarcasm

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
DasDestroyer said:
Soft balls stuffed down someone's throat
that IS a major problems in schools nowadays...

OT: at my school, we only use soft balls. when playing dodgeball, people STILL get taken out of the game. one guy nearly got blinded (his glasses broke on his face) and someone else got dropped to the ground...

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Like so many before me, I'm holding back a joke about my 'nads.

I didn't realise Toronto folks were such a bunch of pussies.

Seriously, I know it's the most Americanised city in Canada, but I was expecting a bit of backbone. For shame, Canada, for shame. We thought you were manly, bear-punching lumberjacks, not little sissy girls.

The UK is about the most ridiculously PC nanny-state country you can possibly imagine, but leather soccer and rugby balls are here to stay. Tradition, innit?

Come to think of it, isn't a ban on hard balls in Rugby or Gridiron kinda missing the point that these are brutal bloodsports anyway?

"Oh, what if the little darlings get hit in the face with a leather ball? How will they manage to continue the game of brutal tackling into cold mud and surreptitious shin-kicking?"

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Ehhh. It's a school--an elementary school. Stuff is gonna get banned.

I went through primary school in the UK, and we couldn't use proper soccer balls at lunch either. PE class, yes. Lunch break, no--foam balls. It seemed idiotic at the time. But fuckit, I've got no current problem with parents/teachers mollycoddling children.

Kids can't bring peanut butter sandwiches to elementary school--if that saves 1 life for every hundred thousand kids who go without peanut butter in school, well, great. And if a hundred thousand kids have to play with shitty foam soccer balls to stop 1 more parent from getting a concussion, well, awesome. I mean really, terrific. Seriously.

Goddamn it, what's wrong with kids today that they can't make their own fun. Who needs soccer balls when you can play hand-gun, stick pencils up your nose, and surreptitiously smoke in bathrooms?

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
What kind of elementary kid can throw/kick a ball so hard a person gets a concussion? The real ban should be on the steroids they put in the school lunches for these kids.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Analogy time! This time, with the help of animated Disney movies and their respective sequels.

Parents/adults like us (who grew up within the 70s-early 90s) are like the protagonists of the first adaptations of a Disney classics (let's use Lion King, The Little Mermaid, or The Lady & The Tramp for example). As kids, we had a variety of different experiences, we got hurt a lot, got into trouble, put our parents and loved ones through hell, and generally did what we wanted to do. All in all, our wounds healed, our bones grew back, learned a lot of stuff as we got older, and generally toughened us up for the challenges that we would face as teens and adults.

Some parents/adults today (who grew up in the early 90s onward) are like direct-to-video sequels of the aforementioned films (Lion King 2, The Little Mermaid 2, and The Lady & The Tramp 2). Kids nowadays are just as curios and rebellious (at times even more so than the previous generation), but their parents are cautious, control freaks. They themselves are aware of the dangers that they went through and do their best build a Styrofoam world for their kids to be safe and free from any form of harm. Kids are going to grow up as weak, sensitive naggers that will learn that if there a problem, they can just complain until it goes away rather then face it themselves or powering through it.

I can see the need for concern for some things that these parents complain about, but kids need to go through some of the same stuff we adults did so that they can experience/solve these problems themselves and even come up with newer experiences/solutions to problems that we may not have had/thought of when we were growing up.