Poll: What do you call it? Soda, cola, pop, etc...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
here in MX, we all call it Coke, funny thing, the mayor players are "coke" and "pepsi" but if i go into a "pepsi only" restaurant and ask for a coke, they immediately tell us "It would be Pepsi, is that ok??"

and even more funny most people will say "no thank you, i would rather have an apple soda"

Sep 14, 2009
Captain Bobbossa said:
Other: because in britain we call the drink by what its called. If its coca cola we call it coke, if its dr pepper we call it dr pepper, if its lilt we call it lilt, if its irn bru we call it irn bru and so on.
Unless the 'it' you are reffering to is just coka cola and not all fizzy drinks, in which case just coke.
while i am not in britain this is by far how it should be, call it by it's god damn brand name god dammit.

if i do ever generalize the statement because i really don't know what flavor i want, i will just say "soda"

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Gammaj4 said:
In Michigan we call it 'pop'
Although soda is acceptable.
Go Michigan!

I will never understand people who call it coke, because then how do you order a coke? The waitresses always give my mom a hard time when she orders a diet coke.
"What kind?"
"Diet Coke"
"What kind of Diet Coke?"
"The one that says Diet Coke on the bottle/can!"

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
I call it pop, though I've been told western new york is one of very few areas in the northeastern US that does so

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Soda

I sort of constantly move around, but i am originally Swedish, and my English was picked up during my years throughout several international schools.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
New Troll said:
I call it Coke. When I ask for Cherry Coke, I don't care if it's Coke, Pepsi, RC, whatever. If from a fountain though it's Soda.

Oklahoma, though I've called it Coke everywhere I've ever lived. Most people here tend to call it Pop.

wait you live in Oklahoma TOO?

i call it

"The Magical Elixir of the Gaming Gods"

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Oops! I thought the poll was about what ppl use as a general word for "carbonated soda/ soft drinks" (like OP said, i know some ppl call all of them coke). Coca-Cola in particular?

Captain Bobbossa said:
Other: because in britain we call the drink by what its called. If its coca cola we call it coke, if its dr pepper we call it dr pepper, if its lilt we call it lilt, if its irn bru we call it irn bru and so on.
Unless the 'it' you are reffering to is just coka cola and not all fizzy drinks, in which case just coke.
Yeah, what he said.

I shorten Coca-Cola to Coke, though.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Australia/England.

I think there's some variation since I moved to the UK, but I've grown up calling drinks by whatever their actual name is.

If I want to be generic, I call it a soft drink, but since that's awkward to say, it doesn't happen all that much.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Another brit here, so yeah we just call it by the actual name (although coca-cola, pepsi and all imitations go under the umbrella of 'coke'). The only collective term we really have is 'soft drinks' which doesn't get used much in conversation.

I'm vaguely aware that in the US (and possibly other places) you use soda as a collective term but it always takes me a moment to remember what that means - for some reason it just sounds like a chemical to me.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm from England and I usually call the drink by the brand name: Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, 7Up etc...

But collectively I would refer to them as fizzy drinks. My Dad is from the North of England and says that when he was a lad, they referred to them as pop, although I always assumed that was an American thing. England Northerners are a little strange any way... :p

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I call it by what it is. "Would you like a drink? I have coke, Dr. Pepper, tea, or V8 Fusion."

I never got calling it "pop", and I can't explain why that gets on my nerves, I guess I just despise adjectives being used as nouns like "crisps" or "tenders".