Poll: What do you think of the WiiU now?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
a lot of those are a nope for me....Yoshi and starfox....maaaabye but honestly Nostalgia is NOT a good reason to get into a game as far as I'm concerned

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I still don't understand why anyone decides to buy a WiiU.. that thing doesn't even qualify as a console in my book.

If we imagine that the PS4 and Xbox One are cars.. then the WiiU is from my perspective a scooter.

The only "console" that interests me is the Steam Machine.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
I went C64-NES-SNES-PlayStation growing up. I had come to view Nintendo as the second system I would get at the end of the console cycle when it was cheap, and I felt like mixing it up. Until the Wii, which caused me to break up with them entirely. Only now am I starting to look at Nintendo as a realistic "sidekick" console again. I may get one in 2 or 3 years.

Still can't stand Smash Bros though, just can't figure out that game's appeal at all.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I don't want one but I do think it is a very good console.

It serves it's purpose very well which is to provide Nintendo a platform to put their games on.
They design it for their games in the foreseeable future and don't really need to do much more than that.
If I was a fan of Nintendo games I would be buying one.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Sofus said:
I still don't understand why anyone decides to buy a WiiU.. that thing doesn't even qualify as a console in my book.

If we imagine that the PS4 and Xbox One are cars.. then the WiiU is from my perspective a scooter.

So basically you're mainly a PC guy and judges via specs only?, sounds about right.

Also why can't I buy or be interested in a Wii U, why do I have to be interested in what you think is interesting?, why do people always, always do this when they should know by now that everything is different, everyone thinks different.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
VG_Addict said:
I don't understand it. A bunch of people on Twitter say that Nintendo should go software only, even though they revealed a TON of great games today.

Why should they do that when the Wii U is getting games?

On topic, yes. I am now interested in getting a Wii U. 2015 looks to be a great year not just for the Wii U, but for gamers in general.
You just answered your own question. Nintendo can make games - some of them are even great. Nintendo's main problem is that they make inferior consoles. That's why many people would prefer to be able to play Nintendo games on a better platform.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Doom972 said:
VG_Addict said:
I don't understand it. A bunch of people on Twitter say that Nintendo should go software only, even though they revealed a TON of great games today.

On topic, yes. I am now interested in getting a Wii U. 2015 looks to be a great year not just for the Wii U, but for gamers in general.
You just answered your own question. Nintendo can make games - some of them are even great. Nintendo's main problem is that they make inferior consoles. That's why many people would prefer to be able to play Nintendo games on a better platform.
But even without the limitations, Nintendo's consoles weren't bad.

Every console until the Wii was on par graphically with the competition.

Do you think they should go software only?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
VG_Addict said:
Doom972 said:
VG_Addict said:

I'm not saying that all Nintendo consoles are bad, just inferior (The Wii was bad though). Also, Nintendo has the worst third-party support - they don't even get feedback from developers while developing a console like MS and Sony do.

A good console should be powerful and accessible enough for developers to use. Nintendo consoles (especially the recent ones) are neither.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Doom972 said:
VG_Addict said:
Doom972 said:
VG_Addict said:

I'm not saying that all Nintendo consoles are bad, just inferior (The Wii was bad though). Also, Nintendo has the worst third-party support - they don't even get feedback from developers while developing a console like MS and Sony do.

A good console should be powerful and accessible enough for developers to use. Nintendo consoles (especially the recent ones) are neither.
Do you think that all of Nintendo's consoles have been inferior?

The Gamecube may not have been accessible for developers, but it was still powerful, and got several of the same games the XBOX and PS2 got.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
VG_Addict said:
Doom972 said:
VG_Addict said:
Doom972 said:
VG_Addict said:

Do you think that all of Nintendo's consoles have been inferior?

The Gamecube may not have been accessible for developers, but it was still powerful, and got several of the same games the XBOX and PS2 got.
You know well enough to which consoles I'm referring to. No point in discussing the Gamecube.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
loc978 said:
That said, I still despise the hardware. Nothing will ever make me accept touchscreens for any reason outside of those awkward checkout kiosks... and the occasional modernized ATM.
I never really liked touchscreens for gaming either until I bought Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android. If that version had full mod support, I'd never touch my PC version again. It's just so natural to play by touch.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Sofus said:

So basically you're mainly a PC guy and judges via specs only?, sounds about right.

Also why can't I buy or be interested in a Wii U, why do I have to be interested in what you think is interesting?, why do people always, always do this when they should know by now that everything is different, everyone thinks different.
I have never told anyone not to buy whatever they want. I just mention that I don't understand the logic behind buying something like a WiiU.

To me the WiiU seems inferior to both the other consoles and the PC in just about every single way. Not to mention how few (zero?) triple A games that are released on it.

I'm all for you throwing money at Nintendo in order to buy a WiiU. But that doesn't mean that I understand the decision.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sofus said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Sofus said:

I have never told anyone not to buy whatever they want. I just mention that I don't understand the logic behind buying something like a WiiU.

To me the WiiU seems inferior to both the other consoles and the PC in just about every single way. Not to mention how few (zero?) triple A games that are released on it.

I'm all for you throwing money at Nintendo in order to buy a WiiU. But that doesn't mean that I understand the decision.
Games.

Most of the games I want to play on PS4 or XBOne are also coming out on PC, which I have. None of the games I want on Wii U are coming out on PC. Seems that if I'm buying a console, Wii U is the clear winner.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
loc978 said:
That said, I still despise the hardware. Nothing will ever make me accept touchscreens for any reason outside of those awkward checkout kiosks... and the occasional modernized ATM.
I never really liked touchscreens for gaming either until I bought Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android. If that version had full mod support, I'd never touch my PC version again. It's just so natural to play by touch.
This is a really specific and silly thing, but I really love the idea of having inventory management on the gamepad a la ZombiU. Hell I like having the HUD and GUI elements there. But I'm entirely in a minority.

I 'unno, to me, real time inventory management adds something to immersion and yadda yadda yadda.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
loc978 said:
It's not just for gaming with me. Attempting to browse anything on a "smart"phone or tablet is rage-inducing for me. I hate slowing down for their input method. My reflexive "swipe" barely makes the screen twitch, because I do it too quickly (tried adjusting for it with an android phone once... doesn't go up high enough). Swiping successfully on one for me feels like "place finger. pause. drag slowly. pause. remove finger."

In addition, I've never used one that detects a tap where or when I attempt it. Probably something to do with touchscreens operating by detecting electrical fields. I don't even have to touch the damned thing for it to register a tap... usually about half the width of my finger away in a random direction. Make 'em operate on pressure and I wouldn't mind as much... but I'd still prefer a mouse. Hell, I'd prefer a thumbstick-controlled cursor, and I despise the inaccuracy of thumbsticks.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Dexterity said:
loc978 said:
I do love their attitude with this thing. Nintendo's gaming philosophy is a wonderful thing.

At least it's still a game console, PowerPC architecture and all. This little white box can run things that my PC would require massive emulation backflips to match, so I guess it's fair to say that the WiiU can do things my recently-upgraded (for just under $400) PC can't... which is a lot more than the PS4 or Xbone can claim.

Might buy one for my nephews, but I can't see myself using it.
You realize you can just simply NOT use the touch screen, right?

Most games bar for a couple of launch titles all use nothing but the regular buttons. The only time the touchscreen is hardly ever used is for offscreen play, or it's used for menu options.

Even games which use the touchscreen for menus have the option for you to simply play without it.

And if the controller bothers you too much, you can just get a Wii U pro controller.
If they offer a model that comes without the tablet controller, I'll consider it... so long as any game that requires it is clearly marked as such.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sofus said:

You've really answered your own question here, because people do buy scooters. Do you understand why people buy scooters? Actually, I can't really speak to why people buy scooters, but I assume you'll agree people buy scooters for different reasons than they buy muscle cars. You saying the WiiU is inferior is like someone looking for a car to drag race in saying "I don't see any reason to buy a scooter, they're just inferior." It may be true for a drag race, but saying that as a general statement is just silly. Some people want a vehicle that costs half as much and zips through tight alleys or glides along hilly countryside with the wind in their hair instead of something that goes fast in a straight, wide line. Frankly, Mario Kart 8 has taught me quite a bit that sometimes you just need Mr. Scooty...

It's a different machine for a different purpose, which is exactly why people buy it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
loc978 said:
Scars Unseen said:
loc978 said:
It's not just for gaming with me. Attempting to browse anything on a "smart"phone or tablet is rage-inducing for me. I hate slowing down for their input method. My reflexive "swipe" barely makes the screen twitch, because I do it too quickly (tried adjusting for it with an android phone once... doesn't go up high enough). Swiping successfully on one for me feels like "place finger. pause. drag slowly. pause. remove finger."

In addition, I've never used one that detects a tap where or when I attempt it. Probably something to do with touchscreens operating by detecting electrical fields. I don't even have to touch the damned thing for it to register a tap... usually about half the width of my finger away in a random direction. Make 'em operate on pressure and I wouldn't mind as much... but I'd still prefer a mouse. Hell, I'd prefer a thumbstick-controlled cursor, and I despise the inaccuracy of thumbsticks.
loc978 said:
Scars Unseen said:
loc978 said:

I'm sorry they don't work out for you. I don't have the problems you have, so I can only guess that the problem exists with the specific software you used, the specific devices you used, or the specific user that was operating the devices. It isn't a problem with the technology. Granted, capacitive touch is less accurate than I'd like, but not nearly so as you are indicating.

A device with an active digitizer would be more accurate when using a stylus, but it's mostly only writing and drawing applications that support/require that level of accuracy because who the fuck wants to use a stylus for everything?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
The WiiU remains the only current generation console that remotely interests me.

If I weren't so poor I'd have bought one but the fact remains I cannot justify the cost of the console let alone the games. I look at PS4 and Xbone and just think that I can do better with my PC. The WiiU at least brings something a little more unique to the table.