Poll: What do you think of the WiiU now?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
E3 is good at showing what will be coming out in the distant future, which does little to help the console in the short term unless people want to pre-order on promises of better games. Ask anyone who bought a 3ds for Megaman Legends 3 what their feelings are on that idea.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Colt47 said:
Ask anyone who bought a 3ds for Megaman Legends 3 what their feelings are on that idea.
Don't remind me about that. I still tear up a little inside about Megaman Legends 3. Still trying to make that device to go to other universes, because if the theory of multiple universe is true, then it's out there somewhere. T^T
Legends 3 was the main reason I bought a 3DS at launch, with Dark Moon coming out later on. I've learned to not buy systems until the games are actually released for them.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Neronium said:
Colt47 said:
Ask anyone who bought a 3ds for Megaman Legends 3 what their feelings are on that idea.
Don't remind me about that. I still tear up a little inside about Megaman Legends 3. Still trying to make that device to go to other universes, because if the theory of multiple universe is true, then it's out there somewhere. T^T
Legends 3 was the main reason I bought a 3DS at launch, with Dark Moon coming out later on. I've learned to not buy systems until the games are actually released for them.
I still haven't forgotten that incident and it's made me pretty bitter about pre-order culture in general. Also, it doesn't help much that the 3ds is just not as good of an experience as the DSI. The screen is just a bit too small on the default model for adults, making the 3ds XL basically a requirement if someone wants a decent gaming experience. On the other hand, I've been using my PS Vita to play Muramasa: Rebirth and a few other titles such as Deception Blood Ties and enjoying it. The only downfall I've had with the Vita is more so due to poor game design, as Deception Blood Ties does not let the player save mid mission resulting in a situation where if your PS Vita needs to update, you may lose 30+ minutes of progress due to having to use the Vita software suspend state. I've basically never made it past the tutorial mission in that game because of it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Dexterity said:
Lightknight said:
Dexterity said:
Looking at the poll, taking the people who previously weren't going to buy a Wii U or have no strong feelings. About 30% have changed their minds and now want one. That's quite a lot.

Though at this point, I feel that even if the Wii U does suddenly crash and burn as a console, it'd be okay. There are enough games coming out and in development that it's enough to warrant the purchase of the console (for me at least).

My logic is, if a console has enough games for it that you want, but you can't afford all of them, then the console has enough games to be worth buying.
? Only 16% of responders didn't want one before and now want one. I'm not sure which one you're adding to make it 30%.
I cut out the portion of the responders who already owned a Wii U, have other things to buy before getting a Wii U and those who already wanted to buy a Wii U.

I only took the portion of people who previously didn't want to buy a Wii U.
If you cut out possible responses then you immediately bastardize the results. People would have responded differently had those options not been present.

Additionally, why cut out the people who value other things above getting a Wii U? These are people who haven't been convinced that this console should be a priority for them.

Likewise, the people who already wanted one before are still people who haven't bought them. They are directly related statistically to the people who didn't want one and now do. So removing them is... strange.

Event so, it still comes out to around 28% which is no small matter. However, we have a clear response bias present unfortunately. People who care about the WiiU are going to respond whereas most people are likely going to pass this over. Randomization generally requires you go to the individuals or that individuals who come to you shouldn't know what the poll is going to be about.

Eve Charm said:
Lightknight said:
Eve Charm said:
Considering bayonetta was one of the major selling points for me that was an title announced even before the wii u it self was released I believe, still calling the system a disappointment till the game is in my hands.

Oh and fire hopping ;p
Can you tell me what the appeal of bayonetta is? Is it just gameplay or do people actually like the character? I find her actively grotesque. Like, extremely and distractingly so. As if a disfigured (disproportionate) unattractive librarian decided to start wearing skin-tight latex outfits.
Because it's Cool stylish and deep character action game that gave the "Good" devil may crys a run for it's money. I really don't care about " Omg look at that body " I care about stabbing things with a sword and shooting them with my feet at the same time ;p
From what I see they specifically focus on her body in marketing with spread leg positions and ass shots. Then I see pictures like the one below and I think she might just be someone's grandma (apparent graying hair and sagging breasts with what appears to be a doily costume don't help):

Is it possible that she's a social commentary mocking the notion of exaggerating features of women to implausible proportions? Perhaps they're ridiculing fantasies? That would be novel if so but I've seen nothing to indicate that. Instead I just see a protagonist that is on screen all the time which actively revolts me. However, I wasn't a fan of devil may cry either so it sounds like it's just not the game for me.

http://www.6aming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/WiiU_Bayonetta2_scrn08_E3.jpg

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
The news has made me actually look at the Wii U and now im interested in it.

I wasn't really interested in any of the Wii games because I didn't like the motion controls and when the Wii u came out I thought it was just a add-on for the Wii or was still based mostly around motion controls.

After seeing some of this stuff I am really interested in possibly getting one. I've always enjoyed Zelda games and would love to play some more again. I also always wanted to play the first Bayonetta so it being packaged with the second one sounds great.

I might wait for the price to go down but Hyrule warriors and the open world Zelda game have really got me interested in this gain. The PS4 and Xbone are always just going to be inferior PCs to me, the Wii U probably will be too but if I can find it at a good price then I would be willing to buy it just to use it as a dedicated Nintendo exclusive box.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
As it so happens, I'm going to have some spare money in a few months. E3 convinced me that the WiiU is the console I'm spending some of that money on. Most of the stuff I'm really interested in on the PS4(XBOne was never in the running) is also coming out on PC.

The only way Nintendo could have done better, in my opinion, would have been to show a new first person perspective Metroid game.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Lightknight said:
Oh and fire hopping ;p
Can you tell me what the appeal of bayonetta is? Is it just gameplay or do people actually like the character?[/quote]

While I don't personally think she is attractive (although I like her design) the appeal of Bayonetta for me personally is just how the game doesn't take itself with even a modicum of seriousness.

I figured that out when during the beginning credits before the game starts when it hits the name of the producer a fat guy is taking a long as hell piss on his "gravestone".

Then it really hit home to me when one of the mini bosses you fight is some happily moaning, and orgasmic bayonetta clone appropriately titled "Ecstasy" and "Joy". That's skipping over a huge chunk of weird shit that happens in the first hour of the game.

The gameplay itself is actually pretty in depth. Very in depth actually. Getting the platinum trophy requires you to never get hit once, nor every using health items. Something you simply cannot achieve if you don't have a very good grasp on the battle techniques.

Over all, the game is never meant to be taken seriously. Ever. That's the joy of it all.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I've loved my Wii U since the day I first got it. New Super Mario Bros. U, Wind Waker HD, ZombiU, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, EarthBound on Virtual Console, plus the promise of Bayonetta 2, X (now called Xenoblade Chronicles X), and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem... it's the only current-gen console with any games that I care about!

And after this E3 and all the amazing stuff that Nintendo pulled out for it, I'm even more giddy than I was before. The Wii U wasn't in the BEST spot before, but it's getting better all the time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't feel compelled to buy any current/next gen consoles, period. Points for showing gameplay and whatever but I just don't care about the games. I'll do what I do with every generation, jump aboard by the time all the good games have been filtered with cult classic reviews and GotY editions. Doesn't hurt they're all cheaper by then too.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
VG_Addict said:
I don't understand it. A bunch of people on Twitter say that Nintendo should go software only, even though they revealed a TON of great games today.

Why should they do that when the Wii U is getting games?

On topic, yes. I am now interested in getting a Wii U. 2015 looks to be a great year not just for the Wii U, but for gamers in general.
Because the thing they do well is games. The thing they have done poorly is all the stuff around those games. What's more, the strategy behind their console line was (and still is - bear in mind a 600% jump over next to no sales still isn't great) failing miserably. Being lower powered and very different meant that porting to the WiiU wouldn't be cost effective unless it would offer a substantial install base - something Nintendo failed to foster in the 18 month lead they had over the PS4 and Xbox One. They've also traditionally handled everything on their systems poorly from rights management to internet related anything.

Ultimately, what people like about Nintendo generally isn't the hardware but the software. If they cannot figure out how to push hardware for their software, the alternative to going games only is to collapse. Also, from a consumer angle, having access to Nintendo games without having to buy in to a platform that has not been particularly attractive to core gamers in the better part of a decade is a win.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
WiiU has 3 games that i want to play on it, it's not enough, and none of them are released. They actually convinced me to buy 3ds while owning a Vita, they did it with 6 games. So i'm not writing off WiiU just yet.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
After E3 my feelings are unchanged, i have zero interest in the WiiU or the games that are released on them.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I already had a Wii U, but only for a few weeks (got it a week before MK8). So far I have been happy with the system and the games, but lucky for me I am a fan of the core Mario 2D and 3D, DKC and MK. Going into e3 I have been doing a lot of research and realizing that I might be faced with a system with fun, fully developed, AAA Nintendo games that I truly like, but my choices are generally pretty slim otherwise outside of my Wii collection (which look absolutely great even if it is just upscaled). This also made me concerned about how other people would feel about it.

e3 made much less skeptical now, and I feel pretty happy that there will a good collection of Wii U games, even some more mature titles. Bayonetta 2 actually interests me enough to pick it up (having #1 included definitely helps). And all I could think of Zelda was 'looks like Skyrim' - so amazingly beautiful. Smash Bros continues to look great (Mega Man sold me already though. Pac-man though brings a smile). Most of the rest was a 'looks really cool, but probably not enough to buy' for me (bring me Super Mario Galaxy 3! - but I can wait if it means Nintendo squeezing every last drop of power to make it absolutely stunning). Yarn Yoshi and Clay Kirby look fantastic though, and that paint squid game has awesome potential.

Nintendo really needs to stop downplaying the VC (and access to the Wii and Wii VC), increase the number of Wii U VC titles, etc. I realize them bringing GBA games to the Wii U VC is a big deal, but there are hundreds of games on the Wii VC right now that many Wii U owners are blind to knowing they have access too (although it does require at least a wii-mote... something Nintendo might fix someday...). Otherwise I think they are on a solid path to keep building the Wii U base.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Eclectic Dreck said:
VG_Addict said:
I don't understand it. A bunch of people on Twitter say that Nintendo should go software only, even though they revealed a TON of great games today.

Why should they do that when the Wii U is getting games?

On topic, yes. I am now interested in getting a Wii U. 2015 looks to be a great year not just for the Wii U, but for gamers in general.
Because the thing they do well is games. The thing they have done poorly is all the stuff around those games. What's more, the strategy behind their console line was (and still is - bear in mind a 600% jump over next to no sales still isn't great) failing miserably. Being lower powered and very different meant that porting to the WiiU wouldn't be cost effective unless it would offer a substantial install base - something Nintendo failed to foster in the 18 month lead they had over the PS4 and Xbox One. They've also traditionally handled everything on their systems poorly from rights management to internet related anything.

Ultimately, what people like about Nintendo generally isn't the hardware but the software. If they cannot figure out how to push hardware for their software, the alternative to going games only is to collapse. Also, from a consumer angle, having access to Nintendo games without having to buy in to a platform that has not been particularly attractive to core gamers in the better part of a decade is a win.
The Gamecube was their last good console.

Do you think they should go software only?

Would you say they're only good at games?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I was going to buy one anyway. It's all a matter of saving up money for me.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
I have gained interest mostly because of Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2. Though i'm still hesitant to get one Since I already got a 3DS XL in march that I hardly use (only have 1 game for it).