Poll: What do you use: Console or PC?

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I like me Wii and DS... But PC wins because of League of Legends and Steam (I don't care much for steam... for the record). I spend ludicrous amounts of time on my PC soo it wins hands down. If I could play brawl on here I might not touch a console again...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
KingsGambit said:
New Frontiersman said:
The poll is accurate. What it is not is representative. This website's user base skews towards PC gaming more than the gaming community as a whole, thus the poll reflects that. So it is accurate, but only for the Escapist, not for the gaming community as a whole.
Representative or not, I genuinely can't believe these numbers. If asked to swear in court I would unhesitatingly have said the vast majority on this site are console gamers. No way does this site, the discussions on its forums or the community reflect a PC playing majority. It doesn't come close. 3.5x the number of PC gamers as everything else combined?
We don't all feel like being elitist all the time. You might also notice that many PC gamers here use consoles as well. If I could afford it, I'd probably have a PS3 in addition to my PC.
Is it common for console gamers to use gaming forums? I thought it was more of a PC-gaming thing.

Mar 30, 2010
Split between my PC and my 360, probably 30% PC to 70% 360. Most of my friends have 360s so that quickly became the gaming platform of choice for having a laugh and keeping up with mates, but I have a wealth of older (for me, so early to mid 90s) games on my PC that I just can't leave alone.

doggie015 said:
I use a PC because I can turn off the music in the game and play my own music in the background. Consoles can't multitask!
?

Err, they can. I always have my own audio on instead of the awful guff that is the Trials Evolution soundtrack.

I may have just been hoaxed.

FunKing

May 17, 2010
PS3 as of late, but that's cause my compy needs a serious overhaul and money's tight :(

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
TheKasp said:
Doom972 said:
We don't all feel like being elitist all the time. You might also notice that many PC gamers here use consoles as well. If I could afford it, I'd probably have a PS3 in addition to my PC.
Is it common for console gamers to use gaming forums? I thought it was more of a PC-gaming thing.
I'd have to side with KingsGambit. Over the last months this website became so fucking hostile towards even the slight hint that someone might prefer PC gaming due to arguments or even objectivetly valid points that 512 ram is just nothing and simply not enough to make a decent space flight sim.

And it has jack to do with elitist. Stating that I prefer PC gaming is not elitist. Stating that consoles are on the same level as my toaster in terms of hardware is not elitist. Even stating that PC as a platform is superiour to consoles is not elitist. Because in none of that statements I talk about console gaming or even imply that you are less of a gamer due to your platform of choice. I talk about facts - measureable facts. But here on the escapist that would make me an elitist and graphics whore *sigh*...

Yeah, I'm away playing Chantalise because I'm such an elitist and graphics whore...
The elitist remark wasn't meant to be taken seriously, I thought that it would be clear since I stated that I'm a PC gamer.

While many people reply to PC or anti-PC articles with hateful comments towards PC gaming, I think (though I can't confirm), that most people actually using the forums (Gaming, Off-Topic, Advice, etc) are PC gamers. One example of that, is the amount of "Help me build a gaming PC" threads on the advice forum.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
TheKasp said:
Doom972 said:
I'd have to side with KingsGambit. Over the last months this website became so fucking hostile towards even the slight hint that someone might prefer PC gaming due to arguments or even objectivetly valid points that 512 ram is just nothing and simply not enough to make a decent space flight sim.

And it has jack to do with elitist. Stating that I prefer PC gaming is not elitist. Stating that consoles are on the same level as my toaster in terms of hardware is not elitist. Even stating that PC as a platform is superiour to consoles is not elitist. Because in none of that statements I talk about console gaming or even imply that you are less of a gamer due to your platform of choice. I talk about facts - measureable facts. But here on the escapist that would make me an elitist and graphics whore *sigh*...

Yeah, I'm away playing Chantalise because I'm such an elitist and graphics whore...
*sigh* aye.. Its a turnoff from the website. But where should i go? Destructoid?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
TheKasp said:
And now I see this poll and can't comprehend it. How can a forum that is so hostile against PC gamers spawn a poll that reveals that 70% of 747 people that voted here even touch a PC for gaming... Are the other member too busy spewing hate against PC gamers?
I really have spent a long time away from this place. I remember when console users got most of the vitriol.

Anyways, though I didn't vote PC, because I use both console and PC regularly, I think it's pretty simple why there's a 70-odd per cent. Because for people who post on an online forum, PC gaming will always be an option, and there are an increasing number of quality, accessible games on PC that occupy a lot of time that even people who normally play on consoles the majority of the time find they accidentally play predominantly on PC.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
TheKasp said:
Doom972 said:
The elitist remark wasn't meant to be taken seriously, I thought that it would be clear since I stated that I'm a PC gamer.

While many people reply to PC or anti-PC articles with hateful comments towards PC gaming, I think (though I can't confirm), that most people actually using the forums (Gaming, Off-Topic, Advice, etc) are PC gamers. One example of that, is the amount of "Help me build a gaming PC" threads on the advice forum.
I can't speak for the advice forum but here on the gaming discussion it is not better than in the news room. Of course there are always some poster who seem to be capable of distunguishing between elitism and stating facts but nearly every topic that is about PC hardware, control peripherals or graphical fidelity is flooded by consoleros or other posters strawmanning the OP into an elitist whos not worth listening to. And in the news room it gets worse, even the remark that I am able to see the difference in 30 and 60 fps and that it diminishes my enjoyment of a game is marked off as someone who is 'distracted from the real problem'.

About the elitist remark: I am just sick of it by now... I open up a news about space sims (love those) and read the remark that 512mb ram is not enough for the calculations needed in such a sim and BAM, every second response is how the guy is a prick, idiot or elitist. And since I pretty much agree with him I can apply everything that is said against his statement to me. I joined the escapist because I liked the rather neat discussions between some users and how PC gaming was not under the stigma of being only for pretentios twats who want over their hardware. The last one has changed. By now I try to stay away from any kind of discussion about platforms but... sometimes I am just too interested in the OP.

And now I see this poll and can't comprehend it. How can a forum that is so hostile against PC gamers spawn a poll that reveals that 70% of 747 people that voted here even touch a PC for gaming... Are the other member too busy spewing hate against PC gamers?
My guess would be that the console fanboys feel the need to scream and shout about everything PC related as they're getting very touchy about how old the consoles are and all the rumours about the new ones not being all that great.

They're just the loud minority though, most people on the escapist are nice enough.

Also, PC mainly. Very occasionally 360 or PS3 if there's a good exclusive.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I would use my PC more, but sadly it's a unomptimsed bottlenecked piece of crap with a dual core running on a rather high spec card, so I don't really use it for Gaming all that much. Other than the odd play on Minecraft, Civ 5, or Blacklight. I need to get a new computer to be honest.

I don't really play my consoles as much as I should either to be frank. I've been pretty much bummed on Gaming recently, but I have enjoyed playing my Dreamcast and other retro consoles immensely.

Saying that I need to play more Skies of Arcadia, and Star Control 2 on my 3DO.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I voted Xbox 360, that's where I play the MOST. However, I think it would be nice to credit everything else. I also play PS3 from time to time, I play a lot on my iPad as well and also own a PSP and PS Vita, but it's unfair to even count them, because I barely ever use them for anything lol

BEFORE getting the X360 I was getting a PC, actually I got a PC, but the experience turned out to be VERY frustrating, some top notch (back then) games would play perfectly like Doom 3 and Quake 4, while others like Neverwinter Nights 2 wouldn't work accordingly, games would crash, problems not related to the games showed up, then I found out how pissed I would get with the fact that the "options" menu would allow me to tinker with graphics and all, which basically threw on my face that my PC wasn't good enough for a decent experience, and well, bottom line, a month later I quit and bought an Xbox 360.
AFTER the advent of iPhone 3GS in my life I got hooked up on Apple, bought an iPad, kept up (sorta) with all new cell phone releases, and when I was faced with the fact that it was time to change my laptop (I had already passed that PC on), I changed it to an iMac, which has allowed me to enjoy some gaming fun with GORGEOUS graphics... BUT still, I dunno why, I can't get over the fact that, even though the iMac never crashes, has great graphics, doesn't fuck up nor anything, it's still a computer and that sorta puts me off, I never finish a game, I buy and play but never get to the end on PC OR iMac... I think it's the confort of the joystick and the big living room witha huge home-theater that attracts me to consoles hahaha

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
A little from column A and a little from column 2, I have games on both so I play on both. For example, Assassins creed is on my PS3 and Just cause on PC.

No need to be all "PC is for scum" or "console is morons" just play games.

Apr 5, 2008
Doom972 said:
Good point. I forgot those console gamers don't have keyboards to type with. Or fingers, only thumbs for waggling thumbsticks.

Anyway, The Escapist is not a small gaming community. There are many others but 3.5x the number of PC gamers than console gamers just cannot be accurate of either this community or gamers as a whole. If there were truly so many of us, why aren't there more threads on gaming hardware, renderers, mods, trainers, wishing for better UIs, lamenting how games development is 4 years stunted and other things that affect us?

This is the tragic truth [http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/] of gaming. This game more than any other is optimal on PC. Yet it was developed for consoles, ported to PC and only 14% of us bought it on that platform. We don't even get more than 8 hotkeys as standard, that's how lazy they were in porting it to PC that they couldn't be arsed to unlock the use of 9 and 0.

That game sold only 14% of total sales on PC, that is why I cannot for a second believe that we outnumber consolers 3.5 to 1 when they out-buy us (unarguably at greater cost for inferior product) by 6 to 1.

This poll is a lie or the people who voted PC are liars, not really gamers or software pirates. Or the 1500 missing console gamers are batting away furiously with their stumps-for-hands, unable to click a mouse button, nor have their mewling cries understood as they asked someone to vote for them. Or possibly held hostage by the OP in an effort to fool the industry into returning to making games for the eminent platform.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Why is there never an option for both? I have a PC and a 360, I use them both equally. Why do I have to be biased?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Currently been using my 360 because building my new pc so far has been a pain in the ass.(delivery times and product costs and availability)

Usually I switch between both with exclusives playing a role for the 360 and RTS gaming and some others for the PC and I don't normally play that many FPS's on the pc because I suck at K+M controls but fair better on the gamepad since it suits my play style with relative ease.

Though I could do with getting more games from Steam if they just put the ones I want on there.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Doom972 said:
Good point. I forgot those console gamers don't have keyboards to type with. Or fingers, only thumbs for waggling thumbsticks.

Anyway, The Escapist is not a small gaming community. There are many others but 3.5x the number of PC gamers than console gamers just cannot be accurate of either this community or gamers as a whole. If there were truly so many of us, why aren't there more threads on gaming hardware, renderers, mods, trainers, wishing for better UIs, lamenting how games development is 4 years stunted and other things that affect us?

This is the tragic truth [http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/] of gaming. This game more than any other is optimal on PC. Yet it was developed for consoles, ported to PC and only 14% of us bought it on that platform. We don't even get more than 8 hotkeys as standard, that's how lazy they were in porting it to PC that they couldn't be arsed to unlock the use of 9 and 0.

That game sold only 14% of total sales on PC, that is why I cannot for a second believe that we outnumber consolers 3.5 to 1 when they out-buy us (unarguably at greater cost for inferior product) by 6 to 1.

This poll is a lie or the people who voted PC are liars, not really gamers softwarepirates. Or the 15ng sole gamers are batting away furiously with their stumps-for-hands, unable to click a mouse button, nor have their mewling cries understood as they asked someone to vote for them. Or possibly held hostage by the OP in an effort to fool the industry into returning to making games for the eminent platform.
Seriously, I'd put it down to pc gamers as a whole being more into the gaming scene on forums. That's going to be the biggest factor. Oh, and don't believe sales stats, they never include digital. EA usually makes around 30-40% of its income from PC, as do actiblizzard. Another funny fact, for pc to have sold 14% every pc gamer online on steam (and it wasn't required to be so, offline is fine) would have to have been playing around a minimum of 6 hours of Skyrim every day for over a month to achieve the concurrency stats on steam. Sales figures don't work for PC, stop paying attention to them. I adore the idea that people went through the trouble to fix the poll though. How's the tinfoil hat?