Poll: what is stronger... hate or love?

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Having experienced both, neither is more powerful. Love makes you want to change your life- to stay with someone as long as they will want you, to defend them if you have to/need to, to do very much for that person. Hate, on the other hand, can blind you just as much as alcohol or getting more stoned than the Himalayas on crack or something like that and make you honestly believe you're capable of murder/horrible acts.

Hate is more of an in-the-moment strong. Unless you're one of the people that just naturally hates almost literally everything, in which case, either get some help or shut up. Love is more of an "all-the-time" strong. A good analogy may be a river versus a sledgehammer in terms of weathering power. Rivers will abrade almost everything they touch over time, and will do it quite effectively- a river carved the Grand Canyon over millions of years, a river can cut a mountain in two, a river can turn a boulder into pebbles. But it takes a while, but the river is always at it. A sledgehammer, though, you hit something once and you get a good deal of damage but you can't be always sledgehammering away (i.e., you cannot always be in the "hitting something" phase of swinging the hammer- you have to pull it back and swing again). Of course, this is a bad analogy if you work with a sledgehammer regularly because then you're doing this shit quite often anyways.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Its a nonsensical question, human beings are quite capable of both things at the same time even. A person might love their country and hate their enemy. In fact quite often you can't love something without hating something else. In all honesty I think both emotions are closely related and both can be destructive -- you can ruin your life by loving too much or the wrong person. Call me a nerd, but the Vulcans got it right.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Depends how much you love someone and how much you hate someone. Like all emotions they vary in intensity.

Daemon888

Jul 18, 2008
Interesting to see so many responses... let me add a poem I love (haha) that seems relevant... only poem i ever memorized... (yes, i am the dork king, stfu)

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost

Daemon888

Jul 18, 2008
Aardvark said:
Hate. Love can die so easily, but hate burns deeply within you for a long time and never truly goes away.

Hell, the strongest, deepest hatreds are born out of love.
Agreed

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Love has only caused one war- The Trojan, and there was already tension before the wife-stealing. That just crossed some more lines.

Hate has caused most other wars- Racial hate, Jealous hate, Religious hate, Hate for a person with different ideas, Or just hate enough to attack.

So, yeah, hate.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
MalevolentJim said:
Now that i look at this thread again..my immedieate thoughts:

:D gonna see BMTH next week. I dared my friends to come with me so we can all go "Oli! You gigantic EMO!!".

For the record I hold no malice for BMTH, I think they're awesome, or emo's in general. It's just a bit of light hearted fun, before I get legions of deathcore fans wanting to bludgeon me and legions of emo kids crying about their hairstyle idol.

And as for hate or love? Which is stronger? Black or white? Bitter or sweet? Who cares? Just feel and go with it?

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
grimsprice said:
MaxTheReaper said:
You can kill for either, but very few people would die for hate, while some would die for love, so I suppose love would be the stronger of the two.

Though frankly they're both a waste of time - love especially.
You will all die alone.
Unloved.
QFT. You will die alone.

Hate is stronger because hate has caused world wars. Love not so much bloodshed. And love is a fickle thing, hate feeds off itself and becomes more powerful. Just look at max.
So... you're saying Max eats himself? You said hate feeds off itself and becomes stronger...

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
lwm3398 said:
Love has only caused one war- The Trojan, and there was already tension before the wife-stealing. That just crossed some more lines.

Hate has caused most other wars- Racial hate, Jealous hate, Religious hate, Hate for a person with different ideas, Or just hate enough to attack.

So, yeah, hate.
Uh, I would NOT consider the Illiad to be a historical document. While there /may/ have been a war at Troy and those characters may have had real life counterparts, you missed the entire point of the story. It's about infatuation with an object destroying whoever posesses it.

You certainly DID choose the story to be romantic about though, since the survivors of troy are said to have moved to Italy after the war and interbreed there to become the romans.

We know there is a chemical associated with what people consider love (also found in chocolate), but is there one associated with hate (liquid hate may be mountain dew)?

Robert632

May 11, 2009
i say both, because hate is easeir to come by, so has the advantage of numbers, but you will be somewhat demorilized by the somewhat fewer people who will die without a regret, while you(hate person.) will try to live instead of fight.

brainiac2

Jun 15, 2008
What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. don't hurt me, no more.

Anyway, it depends on what you define as love. Is it more lust, or caring about someone?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Situational really, every person is somewhat different. For those who say hate is for the weak..you could look at it that way, but if you do I'll have to call you ignorat and close-minded. I suppose love would be the stronger, but only based on the arguement that more people would die for love than would die for hate. Again, it's really situational, there are too many posibilities to really tell the absoloute truth on the matter.

(I'm not even getting into "absoloute truth", just not going there)

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Hate inspired WW2.

Love inspired Helen of Troy's husband to pursue her across the globe and leave his land to rot.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
gim73 said:
lwm3398 said:

So, yeah, hate.
Uh, I would NOT consider the Illiad to be a historical document. While there /may/ have been a war at Troy and those characters may have had real life counterparts, you missed the entire point of the story. It's about infatuation with an object destroying whoever posesses it.

You certainly DID choose the story to be romantic about though, since the survivors of troy are said to have moved to Italy after the war and interbreed there to become the romans.

We know there is a chemical associated with what people consider love (also found in chocolate), but is there one associated with hate (liquid hate may be mountain dew)?
Oh, sorry, I was just making a point on the internet. You expected historical accuracy?

I'm sorry, I just assumed the prince had done what he was said to have. My bad then.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Sansha said:
Hate inspired WW2.

Love inspired Helen of Troy's husband to pursue her across the globe and leave his land to rot.
Ninja'd! My second time.

I agree, hate has caused many more wars and grievances.