Poll: What is your opinion on the Metal Gear Solid storylines?

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Overrated, overcomplicated (in a bad way) and just plain boring. Overly dramatic in a soap opera way. I hate it. The gameplay of the two first is fine enough (which is the only ones I have played), but story-wise it just grinds my gears. It is seriously bad. But what really annoys me is how people hail it as the best thing since Jesus' Sliced Bread.
When "games" like MGS4 sells (it's a slightly interactive movie -_- ) while pure gems like Psychonauts doesn't sell... It's just wrong.

CuervoJoe

Apr 13, 2009
ActionDan said:
I loved MGS3...I think that is still the best MGS so far. Best storyline, and follows the legendary Big Boss. I got so involved with MGS3. MGS2 wasn't so good.
I really hated MGS3 I felt it abandoned the MGSs that had gone before. For me the peak of the series is Metal Gear Solid on the PS1.
Good Storyline, fun gameplay, good bosses. I really enjoyed it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm well I think the first 3 (SNES games, and Metal Gear Solid) were decent. I never got MGS 2 due to the whole thing with Raiden. Though I admit a bit of it was due to reading some translated periodicals (back when I used to do this, and knew people who took the time to translate Japanese game magazines for Americans to practice Japanese to English).

Basically the idea seemed to be that Metal Gear wasn't doing as well as it could have because nobody liked the idea that there was a White-American protaganist. So effort was taken to create a hero of the proper race (Raiden). I won't go into the specifics but let's just say it sort of annoyed me sort of like some of the things I read about why Final Fantasy X: Final Mission (and the International Version) were never released in the US.

I guess they brought Snake back into Focus, but whenever I hear about Raiden or how popular he is in Japan, it brings up issues in my mind I prefer not to think about.

I guess you can say that while it's a differant kind of racism from the usual, it bothers me in how casual The Japanese can be about a lot of that stuff, where in the US we at least try very hard to kill it, yet Japanese supremacy/bashing 'lesser' races seems to be pretty much par for the course down there.

Love Japanese science fiction and fantasy, hate a lot of their cultural attitudes and wish they would grow the heck up. It doesn't bother me when they produce games/movies with all Japanese casts (I mean they are made in Japan after all) but something like the whole Metal Gear thing and the logic that was allegedly behind Raiden gets my goat.

I for example don't whine about the fact that all the characters in say "Persona" are Japanese. It strikes me as ridiculous that people get all upset because there happens to have been a white protaganist in a game series.

I know many will disagree, this is just my opinion/experiences.

Satoz

Apr 29, 2008
I like it because its different in the way it presents itself, to me it felt epic for the long cutscenes, but what did bother me are the "super powers" and raiden, because those parts make me feel a little uneasy, fortunately you never have to use lighting bolts or whatever.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
FROGGEman2 said:
Ah yes, the convoluted and constantly changing battlefield that is the MGS storyline. MGS storylines, styles and themes have changed much over the years, sliding from purposely retro in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and then aiming for a slow-motion slickness in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. The only consistent theme throughout the Metal Gear Solid series is a confused but defiantly anti-war stance. Although, this falls over when you find out there are over twelve ways to kill someone when you grapple them, all of them presented to you in beautiful detail in the tutorials and credits and menu screens. Now, with a new Metal Gear Solid on the horizon, contribute to our society by wasting thirty seconds of your day by answering a poll and perhaps leving a vuglar, unkind, rude and yet undeniably justified response. So here is the long awaited question, an although I feel tempted to hold up this pretentious bullshit image little longer, I think I may reveal it to you, even though it is already in the bloody title.

Do you like the, admittedly convoluted, Metal Gear Solid storylines?

Personally, I always get confused when I enter the Metal Gear Solid story warzone. I, at first, think I'm in a realistic setting, then suddenly, out of the blue, magical lightning bolts and superpowers will appear. What?

P.S. Well, of course it's convoluted, it's had like, 17 games!

P.P.S. la-li-lu-le-lo or whatever, you don't have to give your opinion. It's already obvious. But you can if you want to.

P.P.P.S. Yeah, I know. Look, I made it before but forgot to put in a poll. So I made it again. Sorry.

P.P.P.P.S. Snake? Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!!!
I understood the whole thing perfectly

thats after playing each game about 3 times......

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
I can't remember the MGS2 storyline too well but I absolutely love the storyline in general.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Overall I love the storyline of the Metal Gear Solid games and am more than slightly fanboyish over them.

Specifically...

MGS1: Awesome
MGS2: Raiden and Rose need to die. Put those two within talking distance of one another and either ceases to be entertaining. The story here was, I realize now, par for the MGS course, but was told in such a way that it wasn't as entertaining as when MGS4 hit you with weapons grade exposition.
MGS3: Absolute love, they managed a complex and detailed story without falling back on some of the mistakes they made in MGS2. The Camo system was a tad OCD for my tastes, but it worked really well for that setting.
MGS4: Despite the fact that the plot returned to the sheer bulk that MGS2 had they had learned to tell their story in such a way as to make it entertaining the whole time (which is good because I could cook a nice dinner for two in the time it takes to watch some of those mission briefings). Loved the Drebin Point system. Some of the stealth game play didn't feel as useful in this game, but the disconnect between hard action and stealth seldom got so big as the ruin the fun.

PizzaDentist

May 6, 2009
I played the original MGS on playstation. Looked forward to it, and thoroughly enjoyed it as a good story and a fun game.

BUT... the thought of playing redone and rehashed versions of the same thing? I had no desire to play any more of them, and I haven't played any since the first one. So yeah, been pretty much ignoring the franchise since then.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I never really played it so i cant really comment

I hear they are very difficult to follow.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
To give an example from the story that kinda summarises what I think:

Remember the end of MGS4 with the reveal that *tada* Rat Pt 01 = PATR10T *gasp* They were manipulated by the Patriots! Clever, huh? Yeah but now explain why the Patriots need to set up 'clever' little anagram hints that they're manipulating someone. What, they can't resist dropping stupid little hints? Why on earth should they bother?

That's what the whole story line is like; endless setups for 'clever' twists that are really kind of stupid.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
I have played the whole solid series and they where all good.Except mgs2 for two reasons ,one:
it didn't have much solid snake ,two: the story went too far, "your a chold soldiervbut you forgot and I killed your parents but you forgot and your girlfriend isn't real ,just made me say PISS OFF!!
Kojima was critizised for not using solid snake as the main protagonist....and they're doing it again!!!