Poll: What is your opinion on the Metal Gear Solid storylines?

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
ae86gamer said:
I loved it. Except I didn't like that Meryl ended up with that Johnny guy, or that Snake had to die.
did u actually finish the game?
p.s. how do u do spoiler box? i have absolutely no idea

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
u should play the third one, that was my personal favourite, but then again the only bad thing about the first one was the stiff controls which they fixed for the third.
p.s. y did they wait until MGS4 to enable crouching??? what kind of fucked up logic is that, that only the elderly can crouch??? wtf?

Lusulpher

Jun 12, 2009
Okay...anyone here ever seen Ghost in the Shell Season 2?

Imagine THAT season, more verbose in dialogue and pretentious, *BAM!* MGS series...

Btw the GitS manga and season 1 of the show, make Kojima's future look like downright hokey and unimmersive.(the "stealth-box" action is that great fanbois??)

And don't get me started on those cutscenes. The guy fell in love with his own "directorship of cutscenes"[real disorder?].

Played Zone of the Enders demo twice in my life, still can't believe he worked on that.[refuse to]

crazyjay321

Feb 22, 2009
it's been proven if you are crazy enough to think religion's are true, then you might be able to withstand the crazyness of mgs. I don't understand why people think Kojima is amazing, you could get the same story from some of the patients in a mental asylum

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
I like bits and pieces of it...IMO some are really good from a philosophical point of view (MGS4 ending: Snake/ Big Boss dialogue).

BladeOfAkriloth

Jun 30, 2009
Isn't it worshiped by the church of the flying spaghetti monster because it's the "literary incarnation of his spaghettiness"?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
never played any of the games but from what i've been told of the story line it's completely screwed up and is really confusing.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I don't understand why people think Kojima is amazing, you could get the same story from some of the patients in a mental asylum
Well... many said patients are in fact surprisingly intelligent, so there.

Jesting aside, Kojima isn't a writer, he's a game designer. His credit comes from his games playing well and using the medium for something more than farting out the first sample of lazy thought that rushes through his head.

I'm a fan, so I'm obviously biased, but the story is just badly written- that's where it really loses points. Not the cutscenes length or even the fact that they're convoluted (they're not hard to understand). It's the bad dialogues, the pacing and the over-exposition that create whatever problems the entire MGS arc has, which is exactly why an editor would probably make things a whole lot better.

That aside... it's less about the overall plot and more about the philosophical concerns he expresses (however subtle, ie MGS2 or not ie MGS4), that's where the draw really is.

Saylek

Dec 12, 2008
everything is great except snakes death...and raiden in mgs2...and the bird crap which makes you fall when stepped on in mgs2...sniff* snakeeeEEEEEEE

Tekyro

Aug 10, 2009
I've been stuck into the Metal Gear series since they hit the PS1, and I know the storyline etc. pretty well, and think that people who complain about the story being complicated are perfectly correct, but if they have only ever played MGS4 and not bothered to look up anything about the story, and then complain, it really annoys me.

Also, I think Raiden is a pretty decent character =)

Badger01

May 20, 2009
like with Lost and other things, i'm sure if i watched it from the start i'd be interested in it, but as it stands, i didn't and now the plot is as inalterable as a brick wall

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
They're variable.

MGS1-I like
MGS2-I love, but it's ambiguous and I completely understand why someone would dislike it
MGS3-Brilliant. End of.
MGS4-Confused, unneccesary, dull.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I don't exactly love or hate the story but I was in tears over MGS4's ending. I thought it had all come to an end, until they announced Rising (which I'm not buying).

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
In my opinion, the story line went down hill after the first game. The series lost its touch of realism, and re-used plot elements from the original game to the point of being utter silly, very much like how George Lucas instead of coming up with something innovative just made a second Death Star in ROTJ.