Poll: What is your opinion on the Metal Gear Solid storylines?

Makeshift Koala

Aug 20, 2009
i personally love the storyline.. but if you want even a hope of understanding it, you'd better play it from metal gear solid 1... and dont for the love of god skip mgs 2 as its the one that has the most storyline.. equal to 4 but that was allowed cos it was the one to tie it all together

Daemon888

Jul 18, 2008
I think my avatar speaks for himself.

(In a bad ass gravely voice that is pure awesomeness)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The two reasons I like the Metal Gear series: the complexity of the story and the stealth gameplay. The story is alright, but it's not the real star of the show so much as the three main characters Solid Snake, Naked Snake(Big Boss) and Raiden(unofficially Solid Snake Jr.)

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I think that the series thinks that it's a lot more complicated than it actually is. It takes way too long to do what it's supposed to do. In MGS 4 i didn't make it though one of those flying halberd cutscenes and I still knew EXACTLY what was going on. I liked MGS 3's story the best, because it was interesting all the way through gave closer. the only part where i was like WTF is where
near the end of MGS2, Raiden climbs up that ladder and then all of the sudden is in that mechanical room with a billion metal gear rays and is fighting solidus. What... the.... fuck?

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
I think that the series thinks that it's a lot more complicated than it actually is. It takes way too long to do what it's supposed to do. In MGS 4 i didn't make it though one of those flying halberd cutscenes and I still knew EXACTLY what was going on. I liked MGS 3's story the best, because it was interesting all the way through gave closer. the only part where i was like WTF is where
near the end of MGS2, Raiden climbs up that ladder and then all of the sudden is in that mechanical room with a billion metal gear rays and is fighting solidus. What... the.... fuck?
That's because you're on top of Arsenal. Also, the billion Rays came from the hangar, which is mostly empty when you walk through it, Streaking Mission style.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Its good...but it has Raiden in it, and Raiden sucks ass...and so does half of Metal Gear Solid 2.
The inclusion of Raiden was genius. I love how Kojima decided to fuck with you pathetic Snake fanboys.
He developed a decent character, and it worked. Sons of Liberty is easily one of the stronger games in the series.
OT. Yes the plot for Metal Gear is extremely dense and complex, but very well thought out and planned.
It makes me wonder if Kojima knew where he was going with the latter games, even back when he sat down to write Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
After beating MGS4, and seeing so many loose ends tied up, it was very surreal to start thinking back to the past games' stories. The story is often convoluted and exposition-heavy but I love it regardless.

I've been a fan since the original 8-bit Metal Gear, for it's one of the few franchises out there that I have almost nothing bad to say about.

Sure, a lot of us really didn't like Raiden when he debuted but I felt they did the best they could to make his character more appealing across the board in MGS4. He seemed a lot more interesting than he did in MGS2. I think I hated Rosemary more to be honest, she really grated on my nerves. I think I wanted her to die more than anyone else. I'm assuming the MGS coming out for the 360 is Raiden's story between Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots and, based on everything he turned out to be in last one, I'm going to have to get it.

Seriously when he appeared as the latest cyborg ninja, my first reaction was "Bwhaaaat? THAT'S BRILLIANT!"

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
s'good. and if you dont agree with that opinion, then you dont have my tastes. but one thing we definitely should all agree on: big boss could probably have really used some ketchup. so where was grandpatacon to give it too him?

Ben66

Mar 6, 2009
The MGS series is a love or hate thing. A lot of people love it, a lot of people hate it. I, personally, love the series.

The first one I played was MGS3, to start chronilogically. I immensily enjoyed it. The storyline was interesting, the characters were awesome (especally the Boss), and it was fun and atmospheric sneaking around the jungles. I didn't enjoy the boss fights as much (with the exception of The End, which is my favorite boss fight from any game), but all in all I liked the game.

Unfortunately, MGS3 spoiled me with it's 3rd person camera, so when I played MGS1 Twin Snakes I had trouble adjusting to the top-down view. MGS1 is probably my least favorite in the series, because the characters didn't interest me as much, and Shadow Moses wasn't as fun to sneak around in as the jungles of Russia. I did, however, love the boss battle against Psycho Mantis, and the Ocelot torture sequence gave me goosebumps.

MGS2, I liked alot. I didn't mind the switch to Raiden, though he didn't really interest me all that much. But it's my favorite plot/story in the series. I didn't find it confusing at all, though maybe that's because I had previously watched and fully comprehended End of Evangelion, so I was better prepared. The Big Shell was fun to explore, especially the areas outside.

MGS4 is the love it or hate it game for me. I loved the advanced stealth gameplay, I enjoyed the variety of environments, and I even didn't mind the cutscenes, since I'm a patient gamer. The boss battles were also some of the best in the series. Unfortunately, some of the best action sequences in the game were non-interactive, regulated to cutscenes instead, and when you switched over to gameplay some of the encounters were underwhelming as a result. I also didn't like the soundtrack as much.

So, I guess I would say I love the series more than it gets on my nerves.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
It's got pros and cons, really. I personally love it, but then again, I can see how people wouldn't. The cutscenes explaining these plot threads are insanely long sometimes and Kojima can't seem to make up his mind about what he wants to do sometimes but if you play all the games, you come to understand the plot pretty well (maybe some details go over your head...) but overall, you can still follow it.

I've noticed MGS is definitely an acquired taste. I absolutely love it but none of my friends will touch it with a ten foot pole.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
I loved mgs2 despite the raiden factor, and mgs3 is plain awesome despite the less sneaking factor. A problem both games have is the amount of, and length of cutscenes, which are enjoyable, but still annoying when they go for 5 mins; then theres the supposed half an hour cutscene I heard about in mgs4 :S. The stories are still interesting and very complicated.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
ae86gamer said:
I loved it. Except I didn't like that Meryl ended up with that Johnny guy, or that Snake had to die.
The lame guy should get the girl for once.

Wouldn't it be great if real life worked like that?

Snake dies? I must remember things wrong. Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
When I realised who Johnny was, I clapped in excitement. And I was super happy that he ended up with Meryl.

As for the story lines, I loved them. The only one I wasn't too sure about was MGS3, it was nice to see the uprising of Big Boss, but I just didn't -get- into it, if you know what I mean.

Have to say my favourite is 2, followed by 4. 4 blew me the fuck away, and its the only reason I'd play a PS3. I borrowed my friends, completed MGS4, then handed it back to him. He asked me if I tried Killzone2, to which I replied with, lolwhat?!

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
Loved MGS1.
Was weirded out by MGS2 (walking around naked in someones duodenum or whatever was bad enough but... "I need Scissors... 61!!"... You know what I mean.)
MGS3 was cool, especially Volgin. I wish i knew the backstory of how he got lightning powers!
MGS4 was pretty interesting from an overall storyview. I liked it.

So, by and large fanworthy.