Poll: What is your view on a "polyamory" relationship?

ch0pstixZ

Look ma! No Hands!
Feb 11, 2008
Polyamory - the concept of being open to, or engaging in, multiple loving relationships (of whatever form or configuration) wherein all parties are informed and consenting to the arrangement.

Without trying to sound to "alpha male" here, I'm not a religious man, nor do I claim to be an expert on relationships; As all mine have ended, how do you say - "Like a train wreck"

However, I find the concept very intriguing. I think you can have multiple long lasting relationships in a scenario such as this. Hear me out.

We know because its open fact that something like half of all marrages in the US end in divorce. This is a tradgic statistic, broken homes, neglected kids, and pure animosity between former husband and wife which can be even more distracting for the kids, I guess, trying to figure out which side to take.

What I found with my last girlfriend is, the more time you spend next to a spouse, the more the little niggling facts that irritate you about them start to show. Working with my ex, same classes as my ex, and most weekends with her pretty much gave us as a couple no chance at all.

However, with a "polyamory relationship" you have to devote just as much time with your other partners. Which inturn, in my opinion makes you tend to appreciate the time more. Which in turn makes relationships stronger.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, that probably disagree with me. There are alot of things that can go wrong, jealously, rancor etc. But, I feel a mature enough groupe of people could make one last a very long time.

Thoughts?

EDIT: My poll broke, and edit wont let me fix it. Options were Yes, No, and Maybe

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Nope.

I wouldn't personally.
Its true spending loads of time with your partner can drive you up the wall, which is why it's important to have your own time, doesn't mean more partners would fix that (in fact from what I've heard of people in relationships like that, they are generally harder than ones with just two people, but apparently rewarding if you can pull it off well). But its not for me.
Also, I don't share, and I dont want more than one boyfriend. I'm a bit of a romantic girl and `I love you` wouldn't feel the same if I knew my partner was saying it to a bunch of other people.
You have to be okay with having more than one girlfriend (which would be easy for some guys) who also have more than one boyfriend (which would be harder).

My parents are divorced, and I don't consider myself tragic or neglected, and my parents are both better people for it. :p
It was a nasty divorce, too, but these things pass.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
It's "polyamorous relationship". Saying polyamory relationship is kind of like saying "homosexuality relationship".

Anyway, yeah, I'm all for it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'm not against it by any means, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea in general.

The only example of such a relationship I know of didn't work out very well. It can quickly go sour, and it's not always the participants are willing to voice any complaints or issues they may have.

Still, I'm sure it can work out between the right kind of people.

Personally, I wouldn't enter into such a relationship. I don't know if I could enter into a loving relationship with one person at the moment, so I'll stay away from the polyamory for now.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Honestly I really don't know. I've been in that situation where there has been more than one girl I was interested in, but I really don't think that I would be happy with my girlfriend having other boyfriends, even if I had other girlfriends. I also find it wrong for one person to be allowed others while the other is not, so I guess I'll stick with monogamy.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
I don't think I could ever love more than one person. But hey, if someone else is able to, by all means, go for it, I'm not gonna judge.

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
Love is the most precious thing we can give one another, and i don't think that love is diminished by having multiple partners, assuming they are in agreement as well of course.
But aside form that, it doesn't hurt anyone else, so why the hell not. I just hate the fact that i have so much love to give and i can't find anyone to give it too. *sniff* :p

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, I think I could be up for that depending on the situation. I'm not really the jealous type and I'm bisexual so sharing the love as it were isn't really an issue. Not that this will ever actually come up, I don't really have much conscious desire to get into a relationship and if I did I'd probably find it quite the struggle to get one person interested in me.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I have no issue with other people who go into a relationship knowing of this arrangement and wanting to go forward with it. That's fine.

However, I know from personal experience that it's a dick move when the person you're with wants to just spring it on you.

So I wouldn't want to do it. I'd rather have that one special girl to be with, I already severely dislike people flirting with a girl I'm with after they know we're together. But so long as they all knew that's how it goes down I wouldn't look down on them for doing it.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Not my thing, but I don't have any moral objections. As long as all members consent feel free to have as large a relationship you want.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Rowan93 said:
It's "polyamorous relationship". Saying polyamory relationship is kind of like saying "homosexuality relationship".

Anyway, yeah, I'm all for it.
Linguistics win!

OT: Eh, if it came up as possibility for an actual relationship, I guess I'd go for it. But if it wasn't the case that everyone involved was roughly as interested in each other person in the relationship, I wouldn't get involved.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I guess I'm somewhat open to it. My current relationship is open in the sense that we sometimes invite third parties into our bed.

I just think that I'm already incredibly lucky to have found someone that works so well with me that I find it hard to believe I'll find someone like that again.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Yes, I'm all for it (and bigamy should not be a crime!) but I don't agree with the OP's motives because I don't think it would end well at all if approached with that mindset.

This is not sex-exclusive either, women should be entitled to as many partners as they like too as long as all parties are aware and consenting.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
If people are able to have and maintain polyamorous relationships and are happy then good for them. I personally would not be able to handle it.