Poll: What turns you off about MMOs?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
The people online mostly. Because MMO's are so dependent upon others, it can really make or break that experience. Unfortunately, because most people online are jerks, do not care about those they play with, or are just simply bad at games, groups that break are more common than those that do not. :(

ploppytheman

May 15, 2010
Before you say troll/hater I have played WoW for 2 years and have two toons that were 2k+ and 6k+ PvE GS.

Ploppytheman/Revploppy on Cho' gall are my toons, armory if u care.

MMO's are the worst thing on the planet (gaming wise) because they are not based on fun they are based on doing a bunch of menial tasks for hours so you can do a "fun" task for a few minutes. The only reason I played WoW was for arena but I quit 2 months ago and got a SC2 Beta key one month ago.

The only good part about MMO's, and the only one that I know of is Arena in WoW. Arena is extremely fun, competitive, and just awesome (although buggy, Imba set ups vs imba classes vs imba effort). Finding good partners who are the right class, spec, gear, skill, time zone, attitude/ego, and not retards is extremely hard. I spent more time LF Teams than playing arena BY FAR. Everytime I played I was always limited by other people because they are idiots/lazy/bad. Also the server division and social aspects suck because unless you have RL friends who play Arena (none of my friends even play games at all) your basically screwed b/c RL > wow. 90% of the time I played Arena, and for two years, I was playing with slacking idiots. In fact I sold rating for gold because so many bads begged me to play. I realized I wasn't having fun, you have to spend way too much time grinding for crap just to PLAY, but there were no other games available that filled my "arena" desire. I should have quit and started playing SC1 but I felt why bother when SC2 will be here soon. Trolling wow and serious arena were the only things that kept me playing. I was a notorious troll and top PvPer and the trolling was just so fun, made wow worth playing, almost.

The point is MMO's suck, they are for people with no lives who are pleased by mundane tasks, they are work, they are not hard they just require memory (PvE), PvP is imba (in WoW). I have done PvE and its boring and EZ, battlegrounds are boring grinds that you can't really play with your friends, Q's, just... I can't even express my disgust with MMO's in full.

TL:DR Gaming is about fun. MMO's aren't. MMO's are like wandering in the desert for 40 years LF the promised land only to find more desert.

Playing SC2 I haven't even thought of playing wow except to tell my friends to quit wow and just play SC2. SC2 is highly competitive, balanced, no skill cap, few few bugs (esp compared to wow), and fun. I am already high plat and loving it. I don't have to spend 100hrs grinding my pvp offset and spend time doing PvE (which I hate) to get gear for PvP and then LF reliable people to play

MMO's are a waste of time and always will be because they are designed to waste time in large proportions. Gaming is already a waste of time, but at least its FUN. I think a lot of people use MMO's b/c they have no social life or think the game matters. I play games for competition or story/gameplay. I mean if you want to drink or smoke its worse than gaming, but MMO's are just like drinknig IMO. I'm not trying to say gaming is bad but you need to balance it with exercise and all the other stuff, MMO's don't allow that. If I can play maybe 6-8hrs of Starcraft 2 a week and maybe get a title or two every few months thats fine, but the face that DAILY QUESTS exist... I'm just gonna stop.

I hate MMO's so much I can't express it without a 20pg essay on it.

TL:DR MMO's make me go FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
The monthly fee, the repetitive nature of the quests, the fact that you have to worry about keeping up with your friends, dealing with jerks...

Yeah. Not much fun.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Main one is that they only generally do well on PC, as mine is incapable of running most any PC game. Another is the seeming lack of RPing. I enjoy getting into character, but how can I while fighting alongside xXxAwesomeJoe1234xXx? (I made up this name off of the top of my head, but I would bet its real somewhere)

The Mick

Dec 16, 2008
Basically everything listed lack of an ending people online are always jerks the fact that for a good one it costs money it's not my thing.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
For me, the first three poll options. I've been into these before, so I won't reiterate myself.

However, let me add a fourth: A lack of current-gen graphics, interesting combat, and physics. Call me petty, but we figured out how to prevent a corpse from lying horizontally on a slope so they appear embedded in the ground in 2002. Combat beyond "Click to fight" has been around since the invention of games. If you can't even make it look decent, don't bother.

Sep 14, 2009
danpascooch said:
gmaverick019 said:
danpascooch said:
ToR is only $10 a month!? I thought it would be $15! WOO!

Anyway, $10 a month is very reasonable if you like the game, I mean can you honestly say you get an average of 6 months of play out of all the new release console games you buy?
your only logic fail with this is you still have to pay for the initial game. so it'll be like 50-60 dollars when it comes out (in my country) and so paying for more after that is what throws many people (especially me) off of it, i fucking hate subscriptions for one game, i dont care that it pays for servers and dlc, i just dont want to pay for it.
Amalith said:
I like MMOs, I really do, but I refuse to pay an extra $15 a month on top of the game's cost to play the damn thing. I kinda like the idea of lifetime subscriptions, but I'm not paying $300 for a game, ever. Thus I do not play MMOs.

Oh, and don't give me that "it pays for the servers and added content" shit. I get it, they have an excuse to charge for it, that doesn't make it worth the money.
ninja'd, i completely forgot to look for it.
And how much is WoW now? It's like nothing for the original game.

Not to mention, if you play for a year or more, that original game cost is so spread out over the months it becomes insubstantial anyway.
im not sure, but any other mmo especially that has come out in the past year is a decent chunk of money that is worth a non subscription game, and i have tons of games i go back and replay for over a year/years to come, so their costs get spread out too technically then

Arkzism

Jan 24, 2008
its mainly the people.. i mean i do play lotro every so often so i dont worry about the fee but the community can really put me off

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
The social aspect of MMO's turn me off, I really don't like playing with other people.
Also the unspoken obligation to play inorder to keep up with everyone else in your group seems more like work then fun.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Mainly the time requirement.

See, the thing about me is that I can't stand to suck at something. If I suck at it I either have to get better or I have to stop doing it. I can't be bad at something and still enjoy it. I don't have to be the best. It's not about competition. I just don't want to suck at things.

When applied to MMOs this character quirk manifests in a compulsive need to advance my character and my playing skill. In turn, this usually means a certain time investment, both in order to practice, meet people and acquire gear. As a result, unless I'm playing, I feel like I'm sucking more and more in comparison to other players around me.

One of my life goals is to be able to play MMOs. "WTF?" you might be asking yourself. In actuality, this means I desire to have both the financial security and the free time required to indulge that particular gaming genre to my satisfaction wihtout harming my life in any significant way.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Monthly fee usually gets me, then when I stop playing for a while I'm paying 10-15 dollars a month for nothing.

Hence why I like Guild Wars so much.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
A lot of things. A world that (mostly) never goes forward. The ENDLESS repetition. The fees (at least when you dont get your money worth like in WoW). And the fact that it is a job.

Since the amount of quests/content will be a lot "bigger" in a mmo than say an fps or a regular rpg it will be crappier. Killing 5 bunnies is boring almost no matter how you pack it. A regular rpg can have tailored quests that tell excactly the story they want. They dont need "filler".

A real game = fun all the time.

A mmo = a job THAT YOU PAY TO DO, with a sprinkle of fun in the lunchbreak.

BarGamer

Jul 4, 2009
How many people here are excited about GW2 theoretically "fixing" these common MMO problems, (except for the PC-exclusiveness?) I dunno, I'm pretty hyped. (And I think the Asura are adorable.)

timber

Mar 25, 2010
i like mmos, i used to play wow but quit, but i hate the farming the assholes the whore etc... but some people can make it a fun thing to play..

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I play mmo's, but what turns me off is that they are not up to the standards of current single players, they keep introducing the ridiculous repetitive tasks that they try to trick people into doing, while offering almost no depth to the experience.

Single players have interesting storylines, or great original settings and gameplay experiences, while mmo's seem to still be stuck in that mould of constant repetition and cliché.

And every time a game tries to somewhat break out of that cycle, you'll get supporters of old horrendous games and new ones alike bashing it into the ground for some absurd reason; their opinion being that a good mmo is one where you have to chop up virtual trees for 15 hours in order to make a couple of wooden supports which can be fixed with iron nails made by a guy who forged iron ore at the blacksmith for 15 hours, which was provided to him by a guy who slammed at a virtual rock for 15 hours.