Poll: What type of RPG do you prefer?

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
WRPG's for me. Mainly due to a loathing for Anime and games of their ilk, and Bethesda are awesome. Might be picking up KOTOR sometime too...resisted getting Mass Effect because of SecuROM on my PC.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
It depends how good the individual game is. Trying to fit all rpgs into 3 little boxes and then asking us how we feel about them is kinda silly. Just like any other type of game genre there is some good some bad and some that fall inbetween.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
JRPGs. I'm in it more for the characters and the story more than anything else, and JRPGs appeal to me for both. I even like how linear they are--sandboxes just don't appeal to me.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Westerns. I just don't like JRPGs at all. Actually, I really don't like anything Japanese.

Let it be known though, I am fond of Aion.

Satum

Oct 19, 2009
Western RPGs for me in first place, Followed by generic JRPG. But I love stuff like The World Ends With You on DS which is kinda genre breaking.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
For the most part, I prefer Western RPGs. The majority of Eastern RPGs I've played haven't held my interest long enough for me to bother to complete them. I've gone through most Western RPGs I've played numerous times.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I've never really played a Korean RPG or a JRPG. The stories and characters seem so silly in JRPGs and also most JRPGs are made for consoles so I haven't been able to play them.

So Western RPGs all the way. To be more exact I like them RPGs that gives you allot of freedom where you can solve the problems/quests almost anyway you want. Fallout 2 is probably my best example of such a RPG (and it's also one of my favorite games).

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I really don't care where in the world it is from I just care that it is either an action RPG (I prefer western action RPGs except in the case of Metroidvania) or turn based strategy RPG (Fire Emblem is still the gold standard)

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Damn it! I was so sure you ment the rocket-propelled-grenade type of RPG.

I don't know what kind of RPG's I like. I've only played Oblivion, and I didn't enjoy it alot. So I guess I don't like western RPG's then, possibly not J-RPGS either since I hate turn based combat.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Spot1990 said:
JRPGs are as a much an RPG as Sonic with a weapons slot and levelling would be. An RPG should not throw a character at you and say you're him now. Go here, here and here and you're finished. There in no way immersive. It's like the developers wanted to make a movie, were told they had to make a game and didn't want us messing it all up on them.
Uhh..isn't that kind of the point of a ROLE-playing game. You are being made to play the role of someone, as you are in a play, and have to play the role of Hamlet and follow his story...
I am confused on how you think something that follows the exact definition of the word, doesn't follow the exact definition of the word..

The same with the linking of androgonous stuff and JRPGs, appereantly FF7 and FF12 are every JRPG..

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
I've had good experiences with both, but I've found that the latest years I've enjoyed the western RPGs more than I have enjoyed the JRPGs for ome reason.
Mass Effect(WRPG), Fallout 3(WRPG), Morrowind/Oblivion(WRPG), Planescape:Torment(WRPG) and Super Mario RPG(JRPG, but kinda unique somewhat.), but I have foud memories of the Paper Mario RPGs and some of the old SNES final fantasy titles.

Anyway, to anyone saying that Western RPGs don't have good stories: See Planescape: Torment and Mass Effect.

Edit: Woah, I forgot the Mother series, one of my favorite RPG series of all time.

wrex_arkantos

Oct 19, 2009
Until last-gen i would have said JRPGs. But then along came Kotor, and i waved goodbye to the generic-androgynous-emo-kids-with-big-swords games.
As long as Bioware and Bethesda are alive, JRPGs can rot in hell for all i care

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Even though I loved Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast, I have to say that for the past few years Western RPG's have been my favorite.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
The rocket propelled grenade variety
Actually I am quite fond to JRPGs, Final Fantasy being my favourite series of all time

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The heat seeking ones.
Oh, you mean games.
Probably open world WRPGs.