Poll: What weapons will you use in a zombie apocalypse?

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I've always been partial to the crossbow since it's significantly more quite than other firearms and is easy to maintain and repair. As an additional benefit you can craft ammo, and reuse it.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Melee, I'd use a lightsaber, because if there are zombies eating my neighbours I damn well better get a laser sword or a iron-man suit.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Anybody ever hear of bow and arrow easy to make and maintain no jamming quiet easy to find and replace ammo and the ammo is recoverable
guns are for full auto situations

Gypsybob

Jan 21, 2012
Take a nice, sharp, two-handed sword perfectly made for true combat. I'd be screwed anyway in a zombie apocalypse, might as well have some fun in a red-mist suicide.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
ElPatron said:
cerebus23 said:
4 foot katana
Katanas were cheap swords for low ranked soldiers. Not only that, but today it's hard to find a decent katana.

Most likely you will have trouble with blades, steel quality or even the finish.

Even if you actually got your hands in a true katana, you'd have to worry about blade straightness, sharpness and always worrying about the blade coming off the handle. Which is not a good thing to worry about during a apocalypse.

It has no use as a tool. Practically no tree-cutting or brush clearing abilities and won't pry crates open.

Besides, it only has one cutting edge and it was designed for slashing (= blood loss) and not stabbing or actual good ol' bone breaker and limb chopper. Blood loss won't incapacitate a zombie until he is drained, but a weapon capable of reliably cutting limbs, breaking bones and penetrating skulls would be much better.

The Heik said:
Why do people always default to guns when it comes to ranged weaponry? I'd take a composite recurve bow over a gun any day. Need to take out a zombie silently?
If you're able to do that, you're also able to do whatever you have to do without killing him. Besides, we don't know if zombies retain their hearing, or even if they can identify gunshots/direction from where the sound comes from.

How fast can you shoot arrows accurately? Guns are obviously what people will resort to.

Patrick Buck said:
I live in Britain, so getting a firearm would be difficult enough, so melee for me.
It's a zombie apocalypse. Nobody will give a damn about the law unless you're stealing from people.

Just find a gun store or a club. If the gun club is empty you can raid it, in a gun store I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind giving you one.
no they dont have blood but they have head, legs, arms, and etc to cut off.

and i have a katana already, :p carbon steel, almost full tang, lets where i put my hands on the handle. hence it is my first weapon of choice. had it 10 some years and other than some occasional tarnish, which is normal for carbon steel, a wipe or a bit of polish and its all good again, other than that i just needs grindstone, sandpaper high grade, etc to maintain the edge. i will not buy a sword less it is "cutting/combat" ready. and it is pretty easy to discern a stainless steel piece of trash from a good sword.

the katanas you reference were from world war 2 btw, where they were cheaply made because they were not really designed for combat primarity but as a last resort. any number of modern forges make battle ready katanas some even made in the "old school" forging processes of using different rockwells of steel sandwitched together to create a softer core and harder exterior, to a very hard cutting edge. to forges that use new steel alloys, that hold up to tons of abuse over typical carbon 1040 1060 steels.

Plus in a zombie apocalypse, i doubt any zombies will be armed with anything that will cause a katana to break, and a good sword will go through bone on a good swing, off line cuts are the biggest danger and chunking your blade into bone. where blade harmonics and etc come into play.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Dastardly said:
erttheking said:
Melee against zombies. Guns against people.

snip

In any case, the weapon's job is simply to open an avenue of escape. In the zombie apocalypse, no one wins a fight. You just waste ammo and energy, make noise, and risk injuries you won't have the equipment or knowledge to treat.

Zombies are like water. If it's in your way, you use tools and tricks to get over, around, or through it. You don't try to fight water.
My problem with this strategy is that it's naive to think you will be able to scavenge food forever(with the number of people I'm planning to have with me, and it goes double for my area), and with the number of people I'll have with me, I can't find enough food in the wilderness which means I have to grow it which means I have to stay in one place and grow it. The up-shot is that I have quite a bit of medical knowledge as well as how to find many medicinal plants in my area, even one that functions as a weak anti-biotic.

So my strategy involves going to a place that takes at least two full days to reach and that gives most people(and therefore zombies) absolutely no reason to go there. Then use armed patrols to eliminate any enemies that come too close

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
A gun any day since the farther away I am from the creatures that want to use my brain as jam on their toast the better.

NiceC

Jan 8, 2012
I have 3 short term plans for both fast and clever zombies as well as slow and stupid.
Really for me it would be transport would be my weapon but my carry wepaon would be a bow and arrow as I know where to get them and I'm a ok shot (yea right). But really umilmted ammo and the ammo can be collect agian and used a melee.
I would always have a melee though because it is * never going to let you down (never going to give you up)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
spartan231490 said:
In any case, the weapon's job is simply to open an avenue of escape. In the zombie apocalypse, no one wins a fight. You just waste ammo and energy, make noise, and risk injuries you won't have the equipment or knowledge to treat.

Zombies are like water. If it's in your way, you use tools and tricks to get over, around, or through it. You don't try to fight water.
My problem with this strategy is that it's naive to think you will be able to scavenge food forever(with the number of people I'm planning to have with me, and it goes double for my area), and with the number of people I'll have with me, I can't find enough food in the wilderness which means I have to grow it which means I have to stay in one place and grow it. The up-shot is that I have quite a bit of medical knowledge as well as how to find many medicinal plants in my area, even one that functions as a weak anti-biotic.

So my strategy involves going to a place that takes at least two full days to reach and that gives most people(and therefore zombies) absolutely no reason to go there. Then use armed patrols to eliminate any enemies that come too close[/quote]

Doesn't sound any different from my strategy. The entire point of my strategy is that your weapons should be geared toward escape. What you do once you escape is up to you, but the plan should be to find somewhere with minimal traffic and some means of sustainable food and water.

Even once you have that farm of yours, you still want to deal with zombies up close. After all, if they're not close, they're not a threat. Using a powerful enough weapon to shoot a zombie that's far away is guaranteed to create enough noise that you risk drawing more. Keep that up, and your farm will get overrun -- and the harder you fight to defend it, the more you'll attract -- meaning you'll either have to abandon it or die with it.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
Umm...I collect wooden swords, so I guess it's melee for me.
I'd go all High School of the Dead on those zombies!

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
If I could only have one I'd take the gun. I could use a .22 or maybe .223 because I have a crap ton of ammo for both and have a good deal of rifle experience. If there are enough zombies to run though my ammo then there is no chance I could survive with a melee weapon because I'd be swarmed. That being said, my ideal with prep would be an AK-47(or any variant) because of it's reliability and ammo availability, I'd also have a crowbar because it has many uses and it's an epic blunt weapon.

Shaved Apple

May 17, 2012
I wouldn't want to get up close I'd be afraid of getting their blood on me and catching the disease after beating them with a bat or something. I'd just stay hidden somewhere with a sniper rifle. Probably make a game out of it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Dastardly said:
spartan231490 said:

So my strategy involves going to a place that takes at least two full days to reach and that gives most people(and therefore zombies) absolutely no reason to go there. Then use armed patrols to eliminate any enemies that come too close
Doesn't sound any different from my strategy. The entire point of my strategy is that your weapons should be geared toward escape. What you do once you escape is up to you, but the plan should be to find somewhere with minimal traffic and some means of sustainable food and water.

Even once you have that farm of yours, you still want to deal with zombies up close. After all, if they're not close, they're not a threat. Using a powerful enough weapon to shoot a zombie that's far away is guaranteed to create enough noise that you risk drawing more. Keep that up, and your farm will get overrun -- and the harder you fight to defend it, the more you'll attract -- meaning you'll either have to abandon it or die with it.
Except that I can't run away from my farm, I need it. And it's not guaranteed to do anything. My spot is over 10 miles of heavy forest from even so much as a road, I could fire off .50 cals for fun and it wouldn't be heard anywhere near civilization, which means there will be very few zombies or humans that would be attracted by gunfire. Of those that would be, I want them to be drawn in, it means they will approach the location of the shooting, a location prepared to be easily defended, as opposed to showing up in the fields or the shelter areas.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Melee.

To quote an animation I once saw, "Swords don't run out of bullets."

And neither do aluminum bats.

Ardure

Nov 23, 2009
Weapons... yes weapons are important... but what is also important is defense... So I suggest full chain mail because you can't bite through that. Also weight wise its fairly reasonable... well compared to plate lol. Then with good protection you can really use whatever weapon you want. Just keep that flesh cover and unbitable and you're fine.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Ardure said:
Weapons... yes weapons are important... but what is also important is defense... So I suggest full chain mail because you can't bite through that. Also weight wise its fairly reasonable... well compared to plate lol. Then with good protection you can really use whatever weapon you want. Just keep that flesh cover and unbitable and you're fine.
Full chain mail is over 40 pounds. Have you ever carried 40 pounds for any distance? It's hell. True hell. It'll also slow you down like hell and increase your chances of being swarmed. And that's usually not much more than a short sleeved shirt, leaving lots of places to bite. Also, you ignore the likelyhood of other people being dangerous, bullets go through chain mail like butter. Against fast zombies it would probably be worth it, but against slow zombies the weight is just too much of a disadvantage. The best defense is keeping a good distance away from them