Poll: Where are you from?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
China? ..Are there seriously ANYONE here from China? I would really, really like to talk to that person if so. I mean, they have a state-censured internet, and I have so many questions.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Matt King said:
excuse me, but i'm from england. i know it is part of Europe but i think we deserve our own option
If I can prove that there are more people from, let's say, Germany on the Escapist than there are people from England, should they get their own option too?
And how about Wales? Should they?

forsaac

Dec 15, 2010
I'm from Canada, no we don't all live in igloos or use moose instead of cars but some of us do... its an odd place.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Matt King said:
excuse me, but i'm from england. i know it is part of Europe but i think we deserve our own option
Why? Nobody else in Europe gets their own option, and there's too many countries in Europe to list them all.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
Somerset in South West England. In a small village called Middleofnowhereville to be precise.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
kortin said:
dorkette1990 said:
GrimTuesday said:
I'm from Washington state in America. Yes, We get lots of rain (I think its raining now actually) and there are a lot of hipsters. the city I live in is the original Vancouver, so screw you you name stealing Canadians. I'd rather say I was from the proud country of Cascadia, but unfortunately, seceding is frowned upon in the US.
Also Washington state in America. And I think it just quit raining here. It's a miracle! The hipsters are still abound though.
And also, here here to the sentiment on Washington DC.
It's kind of silly for someone to assume someone from Washington is from DC. The District of Columbia is such a small area, you'd be hard pressed to actually meet someone from there. >.<

Of course, parents being in the military means that Washington DC is rarely referred to anything more than "DC". :p

TheCruxis said:
Another one of these polls. The poll seems a bit screwed up since you have a few nations listed(USA, China, Australia) and all the rest are continents. That seems rather unfair and rather stupid. Why compare continets to nations?
Australia is a continent and a country.
China: I'm not sure the reasoning behind that.
The US: He's from the US. He's going to put it down.
Actually, as far as I know, Australia is part of the continent "Oceania", which is Australia, New Zealand, the other islands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I don't see China as an option, but I see but I see (not China). What gives?

Also surprised at all the Europeans. Is it because Yahtzee's the biggest draw and he's British (ex-pat, w/e)?

TheCruxis

Jan 19, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
Matt King said:
Why? Nobody else in Europe gets their own option, and there's too many countries in Europe to list them all.
And yet USA still gets their own option separate from the "North America" option, what gives? Also Australia should be replaced with Oceania and why the hell does China stand alone? I don't think the Escapist have many East-Asian readers at all.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Gatx said:

Also surprised at all the Europeans. Is it because Yahtzee's the biggest draw and he's British (ex-pat, w/e)?
My guess is that the US will get a few more votes in a few hours- they're all at school/work at the moment (or waking up/having breakfast in Hawaii).

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
Gatx said:

My guess is that the US will get a few more votes in a few hours- they're all at school/work at the moment (or waking up/having breakfast in Hawaii).
This is true. I'm actually typing this from the library, hah.

Bloodtrozorx

Jan 23, 2012
TheCruxis said:
And yet USA still gets their own option separate from the "North America" option, what gives?
I'm going to argue that 1. The OP is American like myself and 2. There are alot of us and many of my countrymen are loud and whiny. Honestly who wants to listen to that?

Otherwise I no other ideas to offer.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
DanielBrown said:
Sweden. Stop bunching us togeather as "Europeans"!
lRookiel said:
I'm from England, I'm English, not European!

DanielBrown said:
Sweden. Stop bunching us togeather as "Europeans"!
The OP is a Yank.... Did you expect anything else?

[sub][sub][sub]A Yank from NJ, wow...[/sub][/sub][/sub]
All I can say is that you're both being very childish... especially you lRookiel.

How do you propose I divide Europe along with the whole world in only 8 options?

I won't go so far as to turn this into an argument about America or New Jersey, but you have shown your naivete and lack of world-knowledge in your silly comments. As someone who has traveled (and lived in) almost the entire world, I would say that you know absolutely nothing about the general population of the United States OR the general population of the EXTREMELY dense state of New Jersey. It's actually impossible to generalize about this state as far as I've found.

But please, continue to be ignorant and base your opinions of others off of preconceptions fed to you by the masses. It gives you a wonderful hue of self-induced intellectual superiority.

Gatx said:

Shit... lol.

It says China is the third option...

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
Stekepanne5 said:
BlackStar42 said:
Stekepanne5 said:
Cold, snowy, polar bear[footnote]Please note that we currently lack cold temperatures, a significant amount of snow and have no polar bears whatsoever[/footnote] infested Norway here.
Yup, just chilling out with the rest of Scandinavia. In the Nordic Countries. In Europe. On planet Earth.
Doesn't Svalbard technically have all three of those?

Anyway, I'm from England, so *sips tea* Yes, quite.
Yes, you are correct on that. I guess I should have specified that I was talking about the place I live in.
Not many polar bears here in Trøndelag.
Have you ever been asked "Are there polar bears here?" by tourists? One of my friends went to Florida the once and was asked the classic "Oh, you're from England! Do you know the Queen?"

(No, no we don't. I was nearly run over by Prince Philip the once though- my one and only claim to fame. True story.)
Well, not by tourists, but several times online. And I fear that a few of them might be serious.

Also, I cannot believe your friend actually got that question. Sometimes, I hate stereotypes.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
From the wet and windy Firth of Forth in Scotland, so that makes me European.

I don't know why some Brits don't like being called European, if anything, we're the conglomeration of Northern/Western Europeans through the ages.

Plus Ireland is further away from Europe than mainland Britain, and they're perfectly happily claiming Europeaness (As far as I can tell, any way)

Bloodtrozorx said:
TheCruxis said:
And yet USA still gets their own option separate from the "North America" option, what gives?
I'm going to argue that 1. The OP is American like myself and 2. There are alot of us and many of my countrymen are loud and whiny. Honestly who wants to listen to that?

Otherwise I no other ideas to offer.
Also, I'd add that, after China and India, which together account for half the world's population, the US is the most populated country in the world, by a gap of about 60 million. For reference, the most populous country in Europe is France which has about 65 million people (or if you count Russia, which is a bit of a grey area, they have 140ish million?)

A large chunk of western civilization operates under the star spangled banner, so I'd say they deserve their own poll choice.

If anything, I'd take umbrage with putting just Australia instead of Australasia/Oceania and for some reason excluding China from Asia.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
You put "Australia" but then put all European countries together? hmmm...
Culturally, Europe varies immensely and its overall population is immense. Separating India and China seems pretty pointless. Sure, their populations are extremely large but the proportion of those on the internet is low.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
You put "Australia" but then put all European countries together? hmmm...
Culturally, Europe varies immensely and its overall population is immense.
So what would your 8 poll options have been? I'm curious.