Poll: Which did you prefer, Morrowind or Oblivion

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Morrowind. I did enjoy Oblivion but its just too dull to get into for more than 1 playthrough. The graphics may be worse in Morrowind but the sheer amount of plot and diverse weapons/armor more than make up for it. I missed my throwing knives and spears in Oblivion.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I liked Oblivion more. It didn't load every time I moved. It had better graphics and the dark brotherhood missions were awesome.

Steel_crab

Nov 1, 2009
Morrowind by far- I played that game for ages and there was just something about the world - how you got out of that cramped little boat, chose your character class from the list of questions and then stepped forth into this little town, and straight away it threw so many things at you - armor, opportunities to be a criminal, different environments, and of course, I will never forget seeing my first Silt Strider standing in the dirty waters of Seyda Neen.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
CainOfNod said:
Don said:
Oblivion; 400+ hours on a single character and I'm still not done. That said, I have to admit I only played the first 30 minutes of Morrowind and didn't like that bit; maybe the game gets better, but I can't say really.
With respect, what are you doing? Not using the fast travel system? I'm at 95 hours into Oblivion and I've completed the main quest, both Shivering Isles and Nine Pilgrimage (I couldn't remember the actual quest name) as well as the Dark Brotherhood quests. Granted I've not completed the Fighters and Mage Guild quests, but where's the fun in killing rats when you're god-like?
EVERYTHING!!! Yeah, I've cleared basically every location once, am currently maxing out all skills and just generally pissing around freerunning and such. Level 43 and still got some skills to go till I reach max (without using the prison exploit). Being a high level and fighting all the crazy daedra and such is fun, so I keep going back to it every few months for an afternoon or so.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Oblivion, I went from oblivion to Morrowind and I was running vista with a newer computer. Morrowind ran slow, froze constantly, and to get past the opening sequences i had to ctr+alt+dl why? No fucking clue. I did everything in my power to try and fix it but after getting stuck inside a mineshaft without being able to get out for like the second time I said fuck it, its not even that good anyways.

B-rad747

Mar 1, 2011
I probably prefer oblivion over morrowind but I wish some things from morrowind were kept for oblivion. I miss the larger selection of weapons from morrowind especially the crossbows and spears. And the weapons were also more diverse in morrowind. Also even though it made getting a set of armor together, I liked the fact that you had to get each right and left glove, boot, and pauldron. This way you could truly make your armor set unique. And I wish levitation would come back.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
I like Morrowind for certain things and I like Oblivion for certain things.

But in the end, there can be only one!!!

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Zantos said:
Both were good games, but the shivering isles makes me have to love oblivion more than anything else ever.
Wasn't Shivering Isles basically a Morrowind mod for Oblivion though? The reason you loved Isles is because it was unique and other, somewhere you had not experienced and mystical. Oblivion was a field.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
I liked the environments and story of Morrowind better, but the gameplay of Oblivion better. That leaves me with liking both equally.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
brunothepig said:
Epslion.Bear said:
I like Morrowind but I also like Oblivion but Morrowind edges it by still having secrets I'm still discovering

(like the Banhammer)
The Banhammer kinda disappoints me... It's such a weak weapon. Ah well, it is a wonderful addition to my collection.
Anyway, Morrowind. For almost everything. I even preferred the combat system. Mostly, it was unique. Oblivion became so generic, whereas Morrowind had this richly detailed original world, with much more variety. Sure, it doesn't really look pretty, but graphics are never a major hangup for me. That said, I'm loving Crysis 2's graphics right now. And everything else.
I always thought that the BanHammer should've had constant effect flameshield as the enchant :p
Hahaha. The whole thing was a massive wasted opportunity. Why didn't we find it on the plains of the great troll battle? Meh, it was just a trophy to me, like so many other things. Never used blunt weapons. I fill Nerano manor in Balmora with fancy weapons/armour/trinkets etc. Just for fun.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
David Bray said:
Zantos said:
Both were good games, but the shivering isles makes me have to love oblivion more than anything else ever.
Wasn't Shivering Isles basically a Morrowind mod for Oblivion though? The reason you loved Isles is because it was unique and other, somewhere you had not experienced and mystical. Oblivion was a field.
I disagree, I loved isles because it was pretty and colourful and the characters were all really fun. Morrowind seemed to lack likeable characters, and the world was in all shades of mud brown. I confess I only did about 10 hours on it before deciding I wasn't getting into it, but i think that's giving it a fair chance. Even before the Isles, Oblivion had me in about half an hour.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oblivion was a better game overall, but I have fonder memories of Morrowind. I never got so engrossed in a world like I did Morrowind, and by God, the story. I have yet to see a story in a game that was more glorious than Morrowind's.
So to answer the question, I prefer Morrowind.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
MadCapMunchkin said:

Oh man, that music is so freakin' nostalgic! I could listen to that on loop all day long, you have brought a nostalgic tear to my eye friend, I commend you.

i2esol

Jul 1, 2009
Oblivion may have had less to do, but it had a lot more open roaming areas.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
I'm gonna offer a counter to some of your points, as I've put over 4000 hours into Morrowind and can't understand a few of your complaints.

Jessta said:
walking around felt like... walking around, it wasn't really an adventure when you walk for thirty minutes and all you encounter is a bit of wild life and then come upon a big wall so its time to turn back.
Firstly, please don't tell me you turned back at the ghostfence? There's so much more to the north if you'd only take the time to walk around it, as it only covers the central part of the map.

If you're looking carefully, a thirty minute walk in Morrowind could yield tens of caves, shrines, tombs and random sidequests, you need only look around a bit more. Even when directed to places, entrances can be a pain to spot, so when you're not expecting them it's tougher.

Sometimes you're lucky enough to stumble upon a cavern so large, you could fit a cathedral in there, with a huge central pillar and waterfalls everywhere. Then, when you think you're done, you levitate to the top, find a secret ledge and spot something special like one of only a few Daedric longbows in the game.

Oblivion has nothing to counter this level of awesome!

Jessta said:
Oblivion on the other hand, was a bright and awesome world, I walked for five minutes and came upon a cave, which I entered, inside the cave I fought off ghosts and zombies until I got to the end, of which I found a book that revealed the history of this cave and made me feel like I was a little more connected with the world overall.
Firstly, I enjoyed the vast library of books to be found in Morrowind. Some of the short stories were pretty good. Other collections contain so much lore, you'd have a swollen head if you tried to take it all in too fast!
The problem I had with caves in Oblivion was that they were really obvious cut/paste affairs, the corner sections in the larger caverns, slightly raised with a few stalagtites and stalagmites and a chest hidden behind them, spring to mind first. Then there's the rewards for trawling through these caves. You end up with another generic sword of fire, nothing named. Artifacts are really thin on the ground. I could walk into a random tomb and leave carrying Elidons Ward, a Deadric Face of Terror, a sanguine item etc etc etc. I leave an equivalent tomb in Oblivion carrying some more alchemy ingredients and a generic, un-named sword of fire/frost

Oblivion was a dead loss in the item and dungeon crawling department from a collectors point of view.

Jessta said:
I started out as a mage and joined the mages guild, in which a guy is standing in front of a gem which I noticed is worth more than you will ever need.
You've obviously never created some of the spells I did then. Some of my vast list of custom spells cost more than 80,000 gold!! Morrowinds selection of spell effects left so many options for messing around. Again, when it comes to magic, Oblivion is a total loss.

I will admit that you can accumulate waay too much money if you try hard enough..........but this is coming from someone that spent two solid weeks selling stuff to the mudcrab merchant and still has 143,000,000 gold and over a billion in assets (mostly poitions), four years later!

In short, the thing I loved about Morrowind ie the freedom to do anything you felt like (including getting lost and exploring random caves for hours when you're supposed to be doing something else!), is what turned a lot of people off.

Some people are happy to fast travel, rather than think about catching a boat to Seyda Neen, then a stilt strider to Balmora and then a mages guild transport up to Ald-Ruhn.

Some people are happy having an arrow to follow, rather than using nothing more than poor directions and luck, which in turn leads to great random discoveries.

Some people are happy to just throw their stuff in a chest, rather than lay it all out and then light it beautifully using any of the numerous types of candles and lamps available

Some people are happy to ignore the fact that loads of the artifacts in Oblivion were ripped-off, without explanation, from Morrowind (the ruining of Umbra springs to mind)

Some people are happy with a game that has no areas off-limits to a level 1 character due to some serious enemies.

I'm not one of those people!

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
VanQQisH said:
MadCapMunchkin said:

Oh man, that music is so freakin' nostalgic! I could listen to that on loop all day long, you have brought a nostalgic tear to my eye friend, I commend you.
Thank you. Glad I could help. :)