Poll: Which is more comfortable? The Xbox 360 Controller or the PS3 Controller

Tycon

Aug 21, 2012
Personally i prefer the 360 controller because i mainly play fighters on consoles when I'm not playing my PC. THe analog sticks on the PS3 controller are the worst I've ever used in my life, However the top button lay out with l1 l2 r1 r2 I feel is superior to the 260.

I do like the triggers quite a bit but the bumpers feel to small and are a pain to use at times, especially when they need to be used together.

Oddly enough though, i prefer to use the D-Pad and although there has been a large negative stream of feed back on the 360 D-Pad i actually like the 360 d-pad and feel it superior to the PS3 D-pad. The 360 D-pad has diagonal slots and slides slightly so you can actually make circles comfortably, the PS3 controller digs into your thumb when preforming circle motions.

Don't even get me started when doing shoryuken motions on a PS3 controller D-pad, it gets ugly. Shoryukens (Z motion) , Mist step / god step motion ( ->, N, V, ->), and half/ quarter circle motions feel much more fluid like on the 360 controller. With all this being said the 260 controller SHOULD still incorporate the white and black buttons on the front of the controller in addition to the bumpers, because i personally feel that analog stick pressed in buttons are worth less if you use the D-pad limiting your overall volume of available buttons providing you with less customization options.

This is my opinion however, I messed my thumb up alot playing the legend of dragoon and mortal kombat trilogy on my PS1 because of the D-pad being very demanding on your thumb joint when preforming diagonal and circular motions, however i still like using the PS3 D-Pad over the analog sticks, the 260 analog sticks are much better than the PS3's but aren't perfect, the game cube had a great analog stick ( The C- analog stick wasn't good though).

Hope this helped

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Jynthor said:
In general I prefer the 360 controller, but the PS3 has the superior dpad.
agreed the ps3 has the superior d pad, however i'm partial to the ps3 joysticks as well. the concave joystick tips are a bit uncomfortable at times.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Eclpsedragon said:
I like the PS3 controller more because it's pretty much been the same since the PS1.
Familiarity and all that.

The 360 controller used to feel clunky,
but after spending a decent amount of time with it, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Really I don't care about the controller or the system, just the game.
Exactly this. Oooh spooky.

I also prefer the PS3 controller because it's smaller and my hands are tiny.
I was pretty bad at QTEs when I started playing the Xbox more after my PS3 was nicked because I always thought the X was at the bottom.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Where is the "both" option?

I have a clear bias for the dualshock because that piece of plastic has been responsible for my calloused thumbs for a decade.

I don't have huge hands, but I like how compact the PS controller makes me feel a huge gorilla. I also love how the xbox gives me extra room.

So both is my answer.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
hmm, the 360 controller is more comfortable in your hands when you are not actively using it. PS3 seems to handle frantic controls better. I will give the 360 better face buttons. The shoulder (RB + LB), analog, and D-pad all feel worse than the PS3.

In comparing Red Faction 4 (PS3) and Crysis 2 (360), Red faction felt much smoother.

Ditto when it came down to Tales of Vesperia (360) and Star Ocean a New Hope (PS3). Both of the combat styles are similiar, but Tales combat felt clunky due to the controller.

That could be the individual game's fault rather than the controller, but it feels pretty consistent.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I prefer the 360 controller mainly for the extra heft to them the PS3 controllers feel flimsy to me.

Though if the rumours of a dirt cheap PS3 coming out are true i may get over my aversion to the controller.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
The 360 for sure. It just fits.

For me the PS3 is just a bit too small (and I don't even have big hands), L2 and R2 are pointlessly squishy and it doesn't weigh anything.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
As a long-fingered gentleman I'd say 360, it allows for more comfortable, spaced out hand placement. PS3 is fine too but I find my hands start hurting after a while from the contorted claw shape.

PSP is still the most painful by quite a stretch.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Xbox 360 controller. The PS3 controller feels a little small and flimsy in my hands. When I was younger I thought it was great but I guess procuring larger hands changed my perspective somewhat.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer the xbox's controller. The PS3's feels a bit small and flimsy, and doesn't fit well in my hands.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
PS3 has a better controller because of the Dpad, but I still find the 360 controller much more comfortable. I guess it's because I've gotten used to how it feels, it's actually quite comforting for me at times.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I can't stand having the left joystick above the D-pad...

If just feels.... off... to me...

Then again, being a PC gamer, mouse/keyboard overrules anything like that...

Voted PS3 controller because I own one... and if Microsoft didn't spend so much money on consoles they might've made windows 8 for desktops instead of tablets.... -.-

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
My hands aren't big enough to comfortably hold the PS3 controller without contorting my grip to reach the joysticks and trigger buttons, so 360 easily.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
nathan-dts said:
sunsetspawn said:
The PS3 pad was never intended to have analog sticks, and even in its all digital days on the PS1 it still wasn't designed to be comfortable, but rather to "look cool."

Sorry, but I've grown outta that "look cool" shit, and a complete controller redesign is the only thing that could bring me back to Sony. The 360 controller is like a Tempur-Pedic bed for your hands.
Games > Controllers.

The idea that a controller redesign is in the way of you buying Sony consoles is pathetic.
Wrong. It's capitalism. I have lots of money to burn, so they can either make a product I want or get fucked. I'm not going to buy a console with dogshit, child sized controllers. Sony cheerleaders might have no problem with that as they convince themselves the controller isn't that bad, but since I'm not spending my mommy's money I get easily enraged when a product is inferior, ESPECIALLY when the product is inferior due to pride preventing a company from improving.

And the 360 wins in the games department too considering it has two of the three exclusives that I've been interested in this generation. Unfortunately the third is the latest GT, and I'll be fucked if I can use the PS3 controller for that; those goddamned triggers can't be held for more than five seconds, and using the face buttons as accelerator and brake prevents me from being able to push both simultaneously. So I get Forza instead, and guess what, it even allows a shoulder button to be used as a clutch pedal, now that's realism on a whole other level. I don't play games too much, and haven't played this month at all, but when I do I don't do so "casually," so control is VERY important.

And after exclusives have been considered, why would anyone use a PS3 controller if they've got a comfy lump of plastic sex they can slide into their hand?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I prefer the 360's controller. I have big hands so they're the most ergonomic and comfortable. As previously stated, the D-pad does suck in comparison to the PS3's but it's a small price to pay.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I like the extra weight of the Xbox 360 controller, but the PS3 has an easier button layout with the d-pad being easier to reach and press.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
As primarily a PC gamer, I can honestly say the PS3 controller is more comfy in my opinion, probably due to aclimatization, as I've only really used an x-box 360 a couple of times, and I had a PSX and a PS2 of my own, and game from time to time with a buddy on his PS3. Hell I even bought a controller for my PC made by logitech which is basically a PSX/PS1/PS2 controller, just a bit chunkier with slightly more organic curve to it, use it to play a variety of games that felt better that way, for instance, racing games(if you don't own a wheel) feel clunky when played on a keyboard due to the on-off nature of the turning and throttle, a thumbstick feels much better for those things when you don't have peddals.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I just don't understand the love for the 360 controller. The best thing I can say is that holding it feels comfortable. However, everything else is a problem;

Main problem: The analog sticks placements. I can never get used to having my left hand's thumb higher than my right's, it feels alien, it feels like it just just there so it's different from the PS controller. Secondly, there's the concave on the sticks as well it doesn't feel 'right' and on the odd occasion when moving my thumb to the D-Pad it gets caught on the ridges of the stick. Not an overly concerning issue, but has resulted in a number of deaths I feel wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Secondary problem: It's ugly. Maybe it's just because I got mine in chocolate camo, but it honestly looks like someone took a shit with M&M candies in it and molded into a shape. But even in ghost White it looks so.. cheap. Like your first car being a white 1988 Toyota Trecel that you bought for a grand total of 200 bucks.

Last problem: It feels cheap. everything pops down on these things, like there's no smoothness or adjusting the pressure. In Mega Man 9, I have a hard time just getting those lil' jumps you need to do every so often, instead I get a big one when I don't want one. The D-pad... I don't need to describe the problems with this, everyone knows the 360 d-pad is shit.

Granted, I have been using PS controllers since the PS1, and even my logitech controllers are modeled after the PS Controllers. It's what I know, it's what I grew up with. But I can learn quickly with controllers like the Dreamcasts, the gamecubes, N64's, hell even the joysticks meant for Combat Flight Simulator 3... So why is the 360 controller so different?

Because it's garbage.
(imo)