Poll: Which would you choose to save?

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
10 closest people. They mean so much more to me than 100 random people out of 7 billion. Sure, it's completely selfish. So what?

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
I think there would be a bigger difference if people knew who pressed the button. As is, you can either kill 10 people close to you and feel terrible able it because they cared for you, or you can kill 100 people you've never met without much care because the 10 people will never know what happened (unless you tell them I guess).

If you saved 100 people and they knew you saved them, every single one would feel in debt to you for the rest of their lives because you saved them. As it is though, it doesn't matter much what you do so most people will save the ones who they care about.

I'd save 10 people I knew over 100 people I didn't regardless of whether they were my closest friends or random people i'd met before if there were no concequences whatsoever. If everyone knew what was going on, then it could change. As horrible as it is, you could potentially make many new friends if those 100 people were aware you saved them.

That said, I'd still most likely save the ones I knew...

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
As a man of numbers and the big picture, I'd sacrifice those closest to save the one with most numbers. Honestly, I'd hate myself, but I have to think about it:

Killing all those people will make you troubled, whichever button you press. For example, f you chose saving the few to save a lover, then your relationship is in serious jeopardy. Ask any couple that had a traumatic event happen where lives were lost. Most split up within a year from grief, and such. Lastly, I know all my 10 closest people would prefer it that way. Most of my family and friends are all military personnel or training to be, and understand the importance of risking one's life to save others. If I was one of the ten in the question, I'd prefer to be killed to save the hundred other in the next room. At least I wouldn't have to live with survivor's guilt, as I know they all would be.

And this is the Escapist we're talking about. Most never have a hard time killing off people inhumanely to save a loved one or themselves, yet are seriously against war, death penalty, violence, and the like. It's actually mind-boggling at times with such hypocritical views.

Tomsky

Oct 15, 2009
I really don't think I could live with my self either way, but I'd probably save the 100, then go drink my self to death.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
I'm really not sure what I'd do. I'd probably freeze, like I know most people will. Its really not that easy to kill someone. In fact, its really REALLY HARD.

I think I'd choose my family though, since its my goddamn family, but fuck being "rational". The death of 100 people would have been my god damn fault. I don't think I'd be able to go on.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
I think I'd rather kill myself.
Live with the guilt of killing a hundred people, or lose everyone I care about?
Yeah, I'd ask if I could just kill myself instead.

Chorionicstu

Apr 17, 2009
Anyone who chose 100 total strangers is lying. If you really cared more for the needs of the many of the few closest to you, you would be in a third world country right now helping the truly needy.

emion

Feb 3, 2011
obs O.< clicked the wrong button. now I just killed the ten people most close to me... good this isnt real life XD

it isnt... right o_O???

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
100 people, because I would lose almost my entire life, and make me and my friends' families sad, but I would make another 100 peoples life great simple because I sparred them.

biggles1

Sep 1, 2009
Both at the same time, in an attempt to crash the system that releases the gas.
Hey, at least I can say I tried.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
A more pressing question, do I even have 10 people close to me?

But yeah, I guess I'd have to go with the ten closest people.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
It's my personal philosophy that it is only possible and only my responsibility to look out for those close to me. Can't stress about the entire world

Iwana Humpalot

Jan 22, 2011
I dont know. From here behind my computer i'd like to think that i would choose 100 random people. 100 is more than 10, even thought those 10 are the people i love, there must be more people who love those 100 people than there is those who love 10. Or thats what i like to think i would do.

.. i'm wondering would i actually be able to kill my family in real situation. I really wish there would be option to kill myself.

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
i believe that i would be far from rational in an actual situation that presented this choice but if i was rational and not letting my attachment to people alter my judgement i would chose whatever saved the most lives

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
10 closest to me easy. I don't anyone would think badly of a person who made that choice, it would simply be to hard to actually kill people you love.

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
Lol of course I'd save the ten people. I don't give a shit about 100 people I won't know and would most likely be completely ungrateful for me saving them. Family members or people I don't know? Come on.
I agree with the pantless Pandah. ;)

The people closest to me are the ones that make life worth living and help me when I need it. Why would I bother saving 100 strangers that probably wouldn't give me the time of day?

Sorry Pandah, you would be dead too. *waves bye bye through the glass*