Poll: Who buys the condoms?

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
My bf and I switch off buying them so it doesn't always have to fall on one person's shoulders to buy protection. We always go Dutch when it comes to doing stuff together that involves money.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'm on birth control so we don't have to worry about that. =] But if we ever do try some out, we'd get them together. Because we both care about how eachother feels while making love. =3

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
BOOM headshot65 said:
In my case, its neither. We dont really want to tempt fate before we are married so we are not having sex until we are married. Plus both of us believe in only have sex to have children, so theres that.

Not like it would make much of a difference anyway. The women in her family seem to have some sort of...I just call it a curse, where NO BIRTH CONTROL WORKS. Condom, The Pill, both at the same time, 70% of the women in her family have gotten pregnant while on Birth Control. Again, since I dont know if my GF is in the 30% minority, Rather not tempt fate.
Respect the beliefs, but when you are married, there are more options than just the pill and condoms. There the Implanon, the implant that goes in the arm and lasts for 3 years and the Mirena an IUD that gets inserted in the uterus, requires anesthetic if there haven't had a baby, but lasts for 5 years and completely removes the woman's period so it's cheaper than abstinence, as they don't have to buy tampons/pads. These are far more effective and long lasting.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Whichever one wants to have sex more (girls want it as much as guys, despite what you may believe).

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
Well, I'm not here to to talk about the size of my unit; because in the end, it's irrelevant. I was only saying that regular condoms HURT, and magnums don't. I think it has more to do with the remaining latex at the ring which ends up at the base; more so than anything else. For my lifestyle, condoms are a requirement, not an option; and I'm not going to be one of those a-holes that says "baby, condoms hurt, so I don't wear them"...hell no. I made the switch, and they don't hurt now...simple logic if you ask me. The fact that they're named "magnums" or "large" has nothing to do with me. Condoms could have come in "flower" and "rainbow" sizes, and I would still wear the one of the two that didn't make me wince. And you're absolutely right, Manaman, as long as it doesn't fall off, the name on the box doesn't matter. ;-)

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Let's make this replay more gender neutral.

People with penises (including strap-ons) should buy condoms as people with ovaries are usually buying the pill. Share the burden and all that.

That said, if you are a person who is generally receiving penises, you should also buy condoms (either the female condom variety or the male condom variety) in case your partner doesn't have any.

Dental Dams. Hm...I have a bunch...since they are more exotic and less used, I'd say the person who is most concerned about latex barriers while giving or receiving vaginal oral sex should buy them...but ideally both partners would.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
When I had a relationship, I bought the condoms, but only because my ex was too socially inept to face a cashier with a box that essentially proclaims 'I'm having safe sex, I'm a good guy'. In hindsight, what I should have done was refuse sex unless he bought them. Or just refuse sex entirely since I never wanted it anyway u_u

Simmo8591

May 20, 2009
Always carry a few on a night out, my girlfriend is on the pill so we dont use them...which she gets for free as a student. but I reguarly get asked for one in clubs by mates/randoms and so having a few backups is a good idea. condoms may be expensive but kids are REALLY expensive...

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
aprilmarie said:
Both parties should buy them. Heterosexual and homosexual relationships. whether it be two men, two women, one man one woman, genderqueer and male, etc...whatever your gender you should have condoms for a partner.
I'm confused as to why you would think two women would need to buy condoms... dental dams maybe, but why on earth would we require condoms?

In any case, I have never bought or used condoms for that reason, so I can't really answer the question. It's interesting to see what everyone else thinks though.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
DRes82 said:
Most certainly her. I'm not the one that doesn't want to get pregnant, and wearing a condom is a pain in the ass anyways.
If it's a pain in the ass, you're doing it wrong.
Heh, there's only one way to do it. I think you misunderstood me. First off, rolling a rubber onto your junk right before you stick it in is a huge turn off. Secondly, you lose a lot of sensation with a layer of latex wrapped around your schlong.

I'll stand by my initial post. On a related note, my wife and I celebrate our 12th anniversary this year. I wouldn't advocate unprotected sex to those of you who are...not as sure of your partner as I am.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
mgirl said:
aprilmarie said:
Both parties should buy them. Heterosexual and homosexual relationships. whether it be two men, two women, one man one woman, genderqueer and male, etc...whatever your gender you should have condoms for a partner.
I'm confused as to why you would think two women would need to buy condoms... dental dams maybe, but why on earth would we require condoms?

In any case, I have never bought or used condoms for that reason, so I can't really answer the question. It's interesting to see what everyone else thinks though.
Actually both would be needed IF they were going to use toys on each other. And for those of us who live in areas where dental dams are hard to find, condoms can be cut up and used for the purpose as well. Some of us women are overly paranoid(ie:me) and regardless of their partner's gender or sexual organs they have require as much protection as possible. Also, you're forgetting about the trans women who don't want an operation to change their sex organs to match their gender.......
Basically some women are born with a penis, some men are born with a vagina or other female parts. And I'm not just talking about trans people either.

Also another thing that people can buy for sexual purposes is gloves for your hands.

and women can buy female condoms. particularly if they have a partner with a penis who refuses to wear condoms........

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
aprilmarie said:
Well, maybe it's just me then, but I've never felt the need. Don't really use dental dams either because they arent very nice. That's probably not very responsible of me, but it's my risk to take.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
There seems to be an unusual (somewhat disturbing) number of people here who think the pill is 100% effective and negates the need for a condom.
Either that or they aren't actually that concerned about having a child.

Don't get me wrong, I know the pill is pretty damn effective but I've always been led to believe that it may still fail.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DRes82 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
DRes82 said:
Most certainly her. I'm not the one that doesn't want to get pregnant, and wearing a condom is a pain in the ass anyways.
If it's a pain in the ass, you're doing it wrong.
Heh, there's only one way to do it. I think you misunderstood me. First off, rolling a rubber onto your junk right before you stick it in is a huge turn off. Secondly, you lose a lot of sensation with a layer of latex wrapped around your schlong.

I'll stand by my initial post. On a related note, my wife and I celebrate our 12th anniversary this year. I wouldn't advocate unprotected sex to those of you who are...not as sure of your partner as I am.
I think you misunderstood me. Think about the wording of "pain in the ass."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Amberella said:
I'm on birth control so we don't have to worry about that. =] But if we ever do try some out, we'd get them together. Because we both care about how eachother feels while making love. =3
You do know there are a statically significant number of women who get pregnant on the pill, yes?

Saying "I don't have to worry about it" is a little backwards.

mgirl said:
A condom can be readily made into a dental dam. Additionally, most lesbian sex tips will advise condomts to be used for shared toys, cleanliness and especially if there will be any anal stimulation.

aprilmarie said:
Also, you're forgetting about the trans women who don't want an operation to change their sex organs to match their gender.......
Don't be ridiculous. No lesbian would ever sleep with a tanswoman!

(I'm kidding, especially since my girlfriend would have words with me about it. :p)

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
my gf (we don't live together) only buys them from time to time to always have some at home (in case we need them and i'm all out of condoms, or forgot them, or whatever), but usually i buy them. after all, if it weren't for my physiology there wouldn't be any risk of getting pregnant, right? so i have to take care about it; you know, look after your own shit, stuff like that ^^

Zachary Amaranth said:
Dags90 said:
I think the best way to handle it is to have whoever's penis it's going on buy the condom. Condoms need to fit right to work properly.
Please tell me you're joking.

In high school, a woman came and did a sex ed demonstration, and put her whole fist a condom. A standard sized common. I'm going out on a limb and saying a standard condom can accommodate pretty much all penises.
Dags has a point there, imho; of course condoms fit pretty much anything/anyone, but it does get quite uncomfortable after a while if the ring at the bottom is too tight; it's thin enough to leave a well defined mark, and thick (=strong) enough to do so with enough force.
nope, not comfortable at all o_O
and i do prefer not having an uncomfortable feeling when i'm with my gf ^^

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
SkarKrow said:
Neither. Partner is allergic to latex.
There's like a million different types of nonlatex condoms. And these days, they're priced about the same.

Used to be sex with someone with a latex allergy was EXPENSIVE.
True. BUt still, free pill in the UK, free contraceptive implants in the UK, so we don't need them annyway.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
It's been a while since I've need to use them (have a girlfriend, in long term relationship). The last time I needed some my ex and I went to the family planning center and they gave us hundreds of the things. I remember sitting in town, blowing them up and letting them fly away. Some woman came up and slapped me. lol.