Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
Bioware and its simple, Bioware has made alot of more games wich I enjoyed alot than Square / Bethesda has + the Star Wars MMO thats coming up has very good chances finally to put my WoW to rest.

Fallout 3 from Beth. was awesome but one game isnt gona get my vote for the company, Skyrim seems promising but cant really say yet.

From Square Enix I have only completed FF8 % FF13 and even those didnt really hold anything special for me and I wouldnt personally call FF series RPG's, basically becose you cant really customize your characters / make your own choices, to me RPG means more than just filling some exp bar.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Bethesda all the way. I never liked Squarenecks or Biodome games, just not the sort of RPG I like to play. Oblivion and Fallout are the only RPG's that I can get into and am good at. I think Oblivion had a great balance of story and sandbox gameplay.

One thing that solidifies my vote for Bethesda, is that bloody Mass Effect 2 advert that takes up half the screen. That's desperation.

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
Hmm... Square did release one of my all time favorites Chrono Trigger and FF6...but I haven't been seeing too much greatness from 'em lately, Bethesda does have TES and Fallout 3 though, and Bioware does have ME(I've only played ME donno about their other RPGs)... I say Squeenix just because I haven't touched base with Bioware and Bethesda games more.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Bethesda by default. I don't think that either SE or Bioware can make a real RPG to save their lives these days.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
*looks at Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2*

*looks at Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas*

*looks at FF13 and FF14*

Well, I know it sure as fuck isn't Square Enix, but beyond that... Tie? :/

Talydia said:
Can I have one game made by all three?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/8286-Stolen-Pixels-241-The-Gaming-Afterlife
...Except if Unskippable has taught us anything, it's that Square Enix can't design a cutscene to save their lives, so that's actually a horrible idea either way.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Squareenix if Deus Ex Human Revolution is as good as the first two Deus Ex games... That, and some earlier games such as Nier and Chrono Trigger....

If Deus Ex Human is not as good as the earlier Deus Ex games then I would say out of those three companies Bioware.

If I can choose any RPG developer probably Black Isle, Troika, or Obsidian.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
modman8 said:
...Skyrim....
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll love Skyrim.
spartan231490 said:
Chase Yojimbo said:
but Skyrim takes the gold this year
Skyrim isn't out yet, it could be utter shit for all we know. You're basing your judgement on assumption and hype.

In my mind Bioware wins. For me personally, good characters, immersion and story are the most important things in a RPG. Bioware delivers all of those things satisfyingly.

Bethesda has done impressive things but I can't get immersed in their games for they are too unpolished and go to the "uncanny valley" territory. Also their stories aren't very good.

Square... well, JRPGs just aren't my thing.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Having played only ME2 and Fallout 3, I am pretty torn between the 2. It is a close call, but Bioware comes on top cause of a slightly better storytelling device. Oh and they have Legion as well.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Bethesda, I'd rather have freedom and do things at my own pace than put up with a bloated narrative and irritating characters.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The Kingdom Hearts series is more than enough for Square Enix to get my vote.

I haven't played any Bioware games. But they haven't really sparked my interest anyway.

And, for me at least, Bethesda games have the tendency to be significantly less enjoyable after completing the first playthrough.

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Squeenix... I have no respect for Final Fantasy anymore.

Between Bioware and Bethesda... Well, if Skyrim blows me out of the water, Bethesda (Bioware could easily take the crown back if they follow through properly with Mass Effect 3, though), but, for the most part, Bioware. I'm just in love with the Mass Effect setting, and their past achievements far outstrip the earlier Elder Scrolls games.

Overall, a good RPG is a game that allows your to actually role-play. Bethesda and Bioware both let you do that, but Bioware undeniably does it better, and has for a long time.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
As much as I love the intricate narratives of Bioware's games...after I beat them, I don't go back to them. There is only one RPG series that has captivated literally hundreds of hours of my life, and that is the Elder Scrolls. In that respect, I must say Bethesda.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
Only two games ever came out of Bethesda that I liked and those were Fallout 3, and Brink.

I don't like ANY of Bioware's games.

I LOVE Final Fantasy I-VI, VIII-X-2, and XII and XIII, The World Ends with you, Kingdom Hearts....the list goes on.

Square Enix for the Win!!!

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
You're comparing apples, pears and mangoes here.

You can enjoy different types of RPGs for different reasons.

The Last Remnant had an extensive battle system.
Oblivion had a beautiful, open world.
Baldurs Gate 2 had an incredible narrative.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Bethesda, without a doubt. The Elder Scrolls series is the greatest RPG series around right now. They have amazing depth and lore, compelling characters and settings and always bring together an amazing gameplay experience which is bursting at the seams with content.

Bioware on the other hand are a bit hit-and-miss. Although I haven't played a ton of their games the one they are most known for right now I really dislike. I had the first Mass Effect and hated it. The controls felt sluggish, A.I. was annoying and stupid, characters looked boring and their personalities were dry and dull, their outfits looked stupid and the graphics looked very artificial. But the first game I had that introduced me to Bioware was Jade Empire. That game was great. It had a wonderful rich colourful setting which was full of character and mystery, and the characters and story were interesting and moving. But yeah overall I don't think Bioware deserves the hype surrounding it from Mass Effect.

Square Enix are just stuck in the past. I want to like them, and sometimes they do bring out a game that is actually interesting (like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Story if it ever makes it out of Japan) but the FF series and others like it are based on totally outdated game design and aren't relevant anymore. Square Enix seem to just want to bring back the success of FF7 among others by attempting to make the same game over and over again. People ask for evolution from their games so every now and again they try to add in half-baked gimmicks to try and show that they can still "innovate" but all they want to do is make the same linear game with dull "combat" with cliche story and characters. I like the idea of JRPGs having epic stirring stories and rich fantastical settings but so many of them are just cookie-cutter now that you just ignore it. That leaves the ancient bare for all to see.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I would have chosen Squaresoft or Enix for the sheer number of games I've enjoyed by both of 'em... but Squeenix is a whole different animal.

Lately it's been a tossup for me. Fallout or Mass Effect would be the clincher... but the better new Fallout game was made by someone not on the list, and Mass Effect hit a serious downturn with the second installment... but I think I'll vote BioWare, on the strength of their old D&D games... and Knights of the Old Republic.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
For me, it's a tie between Bioware and Bethesda. Squeenix isn't even up for debate; if I don't give enough of a shit to even attempt to finish your RPGs, you're doing it wrong. Bioware and Bethesda have pros in their own ways and I don't think they are comparable as a result. Bioware has the stories that grip me all the way through and I want to see what happens next, while Bethesda has the games where an ending feels like a quaint notion and (at least to me) it's more "have fun faffing about" than "what will happen next in the story". Not to say Bethesda doesn't have their good stories, but it feels more about the player's story than the setting's story.