Poll: Who is your Overwatch Waifu!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
......Did we really need this thread?

The amount of creepy ogling about the female characters in Overwatch is annoying me more and more.
Maybe not, but I believe the same thing could be asked regarding your Mei's Butt On Reddit thread. :p

Sleepy Sol said:
Sorry for the slight unpleasant derail. On a more appropriate note, when is the McCree swimsuit/thong DLC going to be released?
Right after the Roadhog In A Banana Hammock skin comes out. :3

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Definitely Mei (glad to see she's winning on poll!). She's like a soft huggable marshmallow, except cute and curvy in all the right places. Also I have a thing for glasses.

Blizzard's early concept art...

jurnag12 said:
SweetShark said:
Chaos Isaac said:
Zarya is strong as a bear, and that's all I need.

Seriously, gotta love a girl with muscles.
Make us two brother!!! It is refreshing to see some realistic reason why a girl can kick ass.
And lo, we are three. Because fuck yeah, muscles.
I also like a bit of muscle on females, but Zarya goes WAY overboard into masculine territory for me. Her shoulders/arms are huge, she's shaped like a drum, and her "butch" hairstyle is a huge turn-off.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Symmetra! Anybody? No? Nobody else a legs man? Okay...

Pharah's got a cute face and Widowmaker has a pretty everything, so they get a mention too. I just don't know what I'm getting with Pharah (other than cute faced warrior woman) and Widowmaker doesn't seem waify enough. She already killed her husbando, so I can't trust her.

Overthinking aside, I like all the girls. Except Tracer.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
How anyone could vote for anything other than Mei is beyond my ability to comprehend. Literally perfect, in spite of her fighting techniques viscous and cruel nature.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Yuuki said:
jurnag12 said:
SweetShark said:
Chaos Isaac said:
Zarya is strong as a bear, and that's all I need.

Seriously, gotta love a girl with muscles.
Make us two brother!!! It is refreshing to see some realistic reason why a girl can kick ass.
And lo, we are three. Because fuck yeah, muscles.
I also like a bit of muscle on females, but Zarya goes WAY overboard into masculine territory for me. Her shoulders/arms are huge, she's shaped like a drum, and her "butch" hairstyle is a huge turn-off.
When she first was announced I read that she was actually trans at first; either way, I thought she was still badass no matter what.
silver wolf009 said:
How anyone could vote for anything other than Mei is beyond my ability to comprehend. Literally perfect, in spite of her fighting techniques viscous and cruel nature.
Well, I'd trust Blizzard to make Mei an actually likable character. Years of watching anime has taught me that IF she was made someone's "(cough*) Waifu (bloody cough*)" she'd be some walking floor mat whose existence is relegated to being some bland, shy wilting flower in constant need of approval, kinda like Hinata from Naruto.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Yuuki said:
Yea, there's no way a woman in real life could get muscles that big without hefty doses of steroids. Whenever I see someone single out Zarya as a "strong female character" or a positive example of "unconventional female character design" or something like that, I wonder if they're aware of that.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
someguy1231 said:
Yea, there's no way a woman in real life could get muscles that big without hefty doses of steroids. Whenever I see someone single out Zarya as a "strong female character" or a positive example of "unconventional female character design" or something like that, I wonder if they're aware of that.
I wouldn't use the real-life argument. It's an arcade-style Blizzard game with crazy unique characters. Zenyatta is a robot monk, I mean what do machines need religion for? :p

But since we're in a waifu thread, just from an attractiveness perspective it's easy to see why Zarya's design isn't particularly popular among the community. Fan-made art involving her is rare.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Yuuki said:
someguy1231 said:
I wouldn't use the real-life argument. It's an arcade-style Blizzard game with crazy unique characters. Zenyatta is a robot monk, I mean what do machines need religion for? :p

But since we're in a waifu thread, just from an attractiveness perspective it's easy to see why Zarya's design isn't particularly popular among the community. Fan-made art involving her is rare.
That in itself is kinda tragic, She is by know means unattractive but because she has a pink dyed buzz-cut (which, ok, I'll give some that) and isn't some waif-ish, hip-cocking piece of eye candy she's practically seen as some sort of abnormality, like the talking, super smart, genetically engerneerd gorilla or the Buddhist monk robot.

I know it's a matter of taste and whatnot, but when most fanart has the female characters with ballooned curves anyway it seems more like its out of spite than anything.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
crimsonspear4D said:
That in itself is kinda tragic, She is by know means unattractive but because she has a pink dyed buzz-cut (which, ok, I'll give some that) and isn't some waif-ish, hip-cocking piece of eye candy she's practically seen as some sort of abnormality, like the talking, super smart, genetically engerneerd gorilla or the Buddhist monk robot.

I know it's a matter of taste and whatnot, but when most fanart has the female characters with ballooned curves anyway it seems more like its out of spite than anything.
It's not spite, it's supply and demand, plain and simple. Conventionally attractive female characters are more popular among fan artists than characters who, well, aren't (that's pretty much all I can say about Zarya without insulting her).

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Yuuki said:
Definitely Mei (glad to see she's winning on poll!). She's like a soft huggable marshmallow, except cute and curvy in all the right places. Also I have a thing for glasses.

Blizzard's early concept art...

Bloody hell, that's concept art?! Yikes. I saw it and just thought it was fanart. It's a pet peeve of mine when women are drawn squishin' their own titties. We generally do not do that, especially not 'accidentally' or without noticing. I know it's not a huge deal, but it just gets under my skin. Ladies know how to work around their own boobs.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
StatusNil said:
I don't care for this game at all. But still, I have to say Tracer, as she is an international Ass Symbol now. Or perhaps more accurately "synecdoche", as the whole of her now stands for a part. So clearly waifu material for us folks who struggle with irony.

And for this major character development, we can thank the crippling insecurity of current game developer culture, always so eager to "do better" at the first whisper of indignation.
I have no interest in the game either as I don't play shooters.

But I have to say the turn of events is irony at it's finest.

Some guy complained about Tracer's pose showcasing her butt. It got all over the news. People started noticing the girls in general have nice butts (figures and other assets), now what was just Yet Another Shooter has developed a waifu fanbase in complete defiance of the original complainer.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
someguy1231 said:
Yuuki said:
This is Zarya, a fictional character from a game with an exaggerated and cartoonish art style.

This is Valerie Adams, a New Zealander shotput champion and flesh-and-blood human being who, as a professional athlete, undergoes frequent drug tests and, if my quick internet research is correct, has never tested positive.

This is me right now:

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Zhukov said:
Oh please. Zarya is far bigger than that New Zealand athlete. Look at a pic of her when her arms are at rest - as Zarya's are in that pic - and you'll see she looks far smaller. Besides, you already admit that she's in a game with an "exaggerated" artstyle. Spare me your pretentious micdrops.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
someguy1231 said:
Zhukov said:
Oh please. Zarya is far bigger than that New Zealand athlete. Look at a pic of her when her arms are at rest - as Zarya's are in that pic - and you'll see she looks far smaller.
I have. She doesn't.

Besides, you already admit that she's in a game with an "exaggerated" artstyle. Spare me your pretentious micdrops.
Umm... you clearly missed the point of that "admission".

The artstyle is exaggerated, meaning that it takes some liberties with the rules of human anatomy in order to emphasize character traits.

How often do you see guys the size of Roadhog, with a gigantic pot belly and massively muscular arm that are longer than his stubby legs? How often do you see people with legs proportioned like Tracer's?

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Zhukov said:
How often do you see people with legs proportioned like Tracer's?
Honestly I still don't see the problem with Tracer's legs. Just the positioning of the camera used to emphasize the hell out of them. Her model looks normal in game and such...

I otherwise agree with your stance, mind. Zayra's awesome, and I've personally met about 2 girls in my life who've fucking -lived- in the gym and about have her build (except neither really had her height. Both a little on the shorter side...).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
FillerDmon said:
Zhukov said:
Honestly I still don't see the problem with Tracer's legs. Just the positioning of the camera used to emphasize the hell out of them. Her model looks normal in game and such...
Her legs have exaggerated proportions. Fairly slight exaggeration, but it's there. Her hips are a bit higher and her legs, especially the shins, are slightly longer. Presumably to emphasize her speed.

Note that I didn't say "problem". It's a game with a cartoonish art style. Exaggeration is to be expected.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Zhukov said:
FillerDmon said:
Zhukov said:
Her legs have exaggerated proportions. Fairly slight exaggeration, but it's there. Her hips are a bit higher and her legs, especially the shins, are slightly longer. Presumably to emphasize her speed.

Note that I didn't say "problem". It's a game with a cartoonish art style. Exaggeration is to be expected.
Basically, if I remember the calculations from a previous discussionright, the percentage of her body that is leg is several percentage points higher than any known record holder. Which doesn't sound like a lot until you realize that the extreme bounds of what's considered "leggy" varies by tenths of a percent, tracer blows every other woman on the planet out of the water.

It fits with the games art style, which is fine, just that there's no woman on the planet leggy enough to match Tracer's proportions. Which is probably a good thing, a lot of the characters of overwatch would look a little off if you transferred their bodies exactly into reality, not monstrous like some anime characters would, but they would definitely be noticeably outside the bounds of what the human body is capable of.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
WinterWyvern said:
FillerDmon said:
Yo, it's fine. Some people just can't help dealing with their own issues without projecting so hard onto others they could be used to broadcast E3.
You know, this feels like I got a taste of my own medicine.
I often claim people who want every female character to be sexy are people who have issues. Your comment made me realize what an offensive thing to say that is, so I am thankful.

However, I got a rightful mod warning everytime I slipped into such offensive claim, so I hope the mods don't let you get away with it instead.
...honestly, I don't blame you for finding fault with that one. That was essentially dumping salt into the wound at that point, and I do apologize for it. Whether or not you take it as genuine sincerity I don't know (particularly since that sort of thing is hard to come by, and even harder to take from someone you'd just been fighting with), but I do hope there's a chance you can trust that I am sorry for it.

I just got -VERY- heavily stung by the "underage lust" and the "blatantly about what character you want to bone" bits. Those hit -remarkably- close to home, for personal reasons and problems, and I got venomous because of it. And again, I do apologize for it. I'll go back and scrub that bit if you'd like me to, honestly.

I'm not going to hide that I was like that, though. If you want to report that comment, I don't blame you. I only kept this in spoilers because it's honestly about time to drop this part of the discussion, for everyone involved, and keeping it out of sight will hopefully help keep it out of mind.

WinterWyvern said:
Back on topic, anyone else has Roadhog as their overwatch husbando? ....No? [small].....sorry I'll see myself out [/small]
See, that's the mindset I wanted to hear, gosh darn it! ...honestly, if Roadhog had a different personality, then I'd probably be more keen on him. Cute tattoo, playful tuft of hair, and a nice combination of squishy fun and hard muscles to be enjoyable. But he's... mean! He's a ruthless killer who pulls people out of their comfort zone and strikes them when they're most vulnerable!

...and I've got at least 3 friends who would be totally into that.

...honestly, fuck it, we're going Husbando in a sec.

And there we go. Husbando threads up and rolling, link in the op.