Poll: Who moshes?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Nah, not really. I prefer to listen to the music.

I was in the wall of death for lamb of god though.
Youtube Wall of death to see how stupid and awesome that is. :D

cookieXkiller

Mar 7, 2010
EightGaugeHippo said:
I mosh, so much fun/broken knees.
If theres a pit, im in.
who said pit... im keen

On topic: i go to concerts like lamb of god and job for a cowboy of course im gonna mosh. Its fun and if i go to a local gig for like 10 dollars then people just hardcore mosh, looks fail but suits the breakdowns. Best mosh pit was cannibal corpse

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Moshing=/=punching people. For some reason nobody gets that the intention of a mosh pit is not to hurt everyone, it's to have fun by being shoving people around and getting shoved around. If someone shoves you, you don't punch them, you shove them harder.

Rant aside, yes I do mosh, but only at the heavier shows(anything death or thrash metal). If the band is more progressive metal type thing I might headbang or just sit back and watch the show. If it's not metal.... I just watch the show.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
I used to mosh all the time with my friends and my brother, but one day I got sucker punched in the nose by a guy who was like 6 ft 2. He disappeared almost instantly, (I was super pissed off and went looking for him) but after a few seconds I started bleeding all over the place so I had to leave. For me and a bunch of people I know we moshed just to get rid of tension/energy and get into the groove of the music. Instead of having a good time I got punched in the nose and had to go to the bathroom to clean up during one of my favourite bands' set list.

So now I just enjoy the music without the moshing.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
depends. If its some great upbeat hardcore music sure why not i love a good mosh. But if im listening to some Jack's Mannequin no thanks ill just sit there singing the words

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
depends what mood i am in if i am in a angry mood and just want to let off some steam hey a mosh pit you can hit people and get hit and no harm no foul :p.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I didn't know what moshing was when I game to this thread. I read comments about what it is and all I can say is: WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS?
I do not understand why people would want flail about, hurting themselves.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
I don't mosh at all, when I go see a band play I want to just chill and enjoy the music, not get smacked around while doing so.

Like last night I was trying to watch Of Mice & Men play and I'm just standing there and some douche shoulders me in my jaw as hard as he can. After that I went toward the back by the merch booths (it was a small venue so I could see just fine and stood there for the other bands).
Depends on my mood, sometimes I will mosh sometimes I won't. The thing is if your getting effected by the mosh pit then its entirely likely that you either in or at the edge of one (of course this all depends on the size of the venue).
Most times I tend to not mosh though.

Also I would like to make it known that there are different variations of pit, slam, mosh, skank etc. So what you get in the pit completely depends on the type. Slams are the more violent ones, moshes tend to be more bouncing and maybe a little tussling, and skank pits are just fun dancing and bouncing. :)

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
sorry but who the hell moshes by throwing punches, i mean all your supposed to do is shoulder bardge not try and knock someone on their arse in fact thats kind of the opposite as when someone goes down the mosh pit stops for a few seconds while they get pulled up

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
I didn't know what moshing was when I game to this thread. I read comments about what it is and all I can say is: WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS?
I do not understand why people would want flail about, hurting themselves.
Its not actually like that, I've been in loads of pits and never hurt myself, sadly theres always one idiot that think its a opportunity to have a fight.
Usually though, if you get knocked on your ass in a pit the same guy will pick you up with a 'sorry mate' mouthed at you.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Depends on the music and the people. If it's a metal, or some sort of heavy, chaotic band that's good to mosh to, then the only factor that's left is the people.

Sometimes I'll go to a concert with a band and venue that tends to attract a ton of asshole bodybuilders and jocks that just want to beat people up in the mosh pit, so I end up just standing around and listening to the music. And even with that, people will still be assholes. The last one I went to, me and some friends were standing up at the front of the stage, and some guy just came by and started slamming into us and throwing punches until a security guard stopped him. Or at another show some of my friends went to, they did a silly, fun dance in the middle of the mosh pit, but it wasn't "manly" enough, so some asshole slammed them into the ground.

At least in my experience, those kinds of shows haven't been the norm for me. When I went to see Between the Buried and me, the crowd was way cooler, and the mosh pit consisted of people pushing and shoving each other around, but not to really hurt each other. When you get knocked down people will help you back up, and if don't want to be part of it, then you will be left alone. There's crowd surfing and other cool stuff, not everybody participating is some hulk. Those kinds of shows are the best.

I really hate it when people mosh overly aggressively to actually try to hurt people for pretty much any band.

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Like last night I was trying to watch Of Mice & Men play and I'm just standing there and some douche shoulders me in my jaw as hard as he can. After that I went toward the back by the merch booths (it was a small venue so I could see just fine and stood there for the other bands).
It seems that the real problem at hand is that some people are failing to heed proper concert moshpit etiquette. Moshing is alot of fun and a great adrenaline rush, but people need to watch out for others who do not want to participate.

This means watch where your body, limbs, and momentum are going, do ram into girls, women, younger kids and people on the outside of the pit proper. The point is to shove and ram one another, so no punching, elbowing or roundhouse kicking if you're into the hardcore band stuff. And for God's sake, if someone falls, PICK THEM UP!

ginger_vitus

Jan 14, 2010
"Mosh" is a pretty big blanket term. I mean, I would say I mosh, but not the variety of Moshing where it's all about hurting/getting hurt, i.e. directly running up to people and hitting them (this happened to me at a Coheed and Cambria show: big Rake Yohn-looking guy cracked me over the head with a fist that felt like Thor driving railroad spikes) or wearing football cleats/spurs, or going barefoot/shirtless/pantsless (the Henry Rollins model) to the point and purpose of getting more hurt. I'm just there to run in circles, pogo, skank, windmill, and pump my fist like a moron. Do I get hurt, even at relatively tame shows? Absolutely. A few weeks ago I went to see the Gaslight Anthem and after about 15 seconds in the pit, accidentally got headbutted by some big dude in a Flyers jersey. I saw stars, but he helped me back up and we went back to the music. But the point is moshers aren't ignoring the music in favor of beating each other up (at least not all of them), they're interacting with the music on a very visceral physical level. I would figure gamers would embrace the idea of making a generally passive media more interactive.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
ginger_vitus said:
"Mosh" is a pretty big blanket term. I mean, I would say I mosh, but not the variety of Moshing where it's all about hurting/getting hurt, i.e. directly running up to people and hitting them (this happened to me at a Coheed and Cambria show: big Rake Yohn-looking guy cracked me over the head with a fist that felt like Thor driving railroad spikes) or wearing football cleats/spurs, or going barefoot/shirtless/pantsless (the Henry Rollins model) to the point and purpose of getting more hurt. I'm just there to run in circles, pogo, skank, windmill, and pump my fist like a moron. Do I get hurt, even at relatively tame shows? Absolutely. A few weeks ago I went to see the Gaslight Anthem and after about 15 seconds in the pit, accidentally got headbutted by some big dude in a Flyers jersey. I saw stars, but he helped me back up and we went back to the music. But the point is moshers aren't ignoring the music in favor of beating each other up (at least not all of them), they're interacting with the music on a very visceral physical level. I would figure gamers would embrace the idea of making a generally passive media more interactive.
I didn't know people moshed to Coheed, that seems, out of place.