Poll: Who would you rather let die, your pet or me?

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
You. Sorry. I've known my pet longer and consider my dog a part of my family, not just a pet. So, in some way, I guess I consider my dog as more of a human in certain aspects. I'm sure you may be a wonderful person but I don't consider you family obviously. Family sticks together even if they are different species.

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
Surely if you're a complete stranger you're not a beloved family member

So i'd save my cat, you're probably a murderer anyway

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I would save the OP. I don't have a pet, and I consider a human life more important.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
I once read some social psychology article that could relate to this. It explained how we don't actually see other people as full individuals unless they are close to us. The milkman is the guy who brings us milk, and even if we know he might have a family and a life of his own, he is nothing more than the milkman to us, because he is not in our inner circle. We see them as jobs or simple links to other people or places.
Pets are more than wild animals. Most people form a very strong emotional attachment to their pets, and they might even love them more than they love another family member, so it's no suprise most people would choose the lives of their pets over "the original poster".

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
most people here will probably hold their pets in the same regard as a family member, it may be "just an animal" to you but it isn't to the owner.

I myself see the question as "who would you rather let die, a family member/life long friend or me".

sorry but strangers usually come second to family members, no matter the species.

topwomble

Jun 26, 2010
I would save you over my cat and chickens any day. They're just semi-concious animals anyway, whereas you are a human. Humans>animals, whether I loved them or not.

Way

Dec 5, 2009
Lucifron said:
Escapist forum, 60% of everyone here fail ethics forever. How disappointing.
Possibly. I've yet to see a really strong argument for saving the human posted, and you've failed to make one. Ethics is not simply making up a rule or answer. You need to not only to be able to explain it, but also be willing to repeatedly do so. You win by convincing others that you are correct, not just by being correct. I doubt you'd find consensus even if we all pooled our resources though. The question posed by the OP is actually too advanced, since few of us will have previously set up a complicated, logical, moral system to assign value to lives. I certainly haven't.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
@OP
What makes you think you're more worthy of saving than my cat?
Are you saying humans are worth more than cats?

GreigKM

Dec 9, 2008
Let the pet die
Humanity, even in it's most pathetic form, is worth much more than an animal.

CazGirl

Feb 24, 2011
I have cats that I love very much, but the life of a human is much more valuable than that of an animal...no matter how much you love them. I'm shocked by the results of this poll.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I would save the OP if emotional attachment would let me off the hook. It probably wouldn't, but I'm not responsible for involuntary irrational chemical spills in my brain. If I were completely rational and calculating, I'd probably save the OP, which seems objectively the more reasonable thing to do. Maybe it's not, I'm not a robot (YET!) so I can't tell.

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
sorry, you lose.
Though on a side note seeing the edits. Little butt-hurt? Honestly, even if it's as simple as I know my pet and I don't know you. Unless I have some personal attachment to said person I likely would choose an animal over a person any day of the week. Why would you even put up a post like this? Are you THAT desperate for attention?

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
sorry mate but even in light of the truth in your edits I think my first thought would be to save my dog....sure he's old and he's may not be around for to much longer(afew years at best) I value him for all the memories and good times I've had with him in addition to his endless love and loyalty. As apposed to you who I don't know in the least. I mean sure you could be a loving father or a very much beloved *insert title here* to your friends, family, community, or congregation but you could as you've said(in part) be a lowlife or someone unloved by anyone....nothing against you though of course....I mean were you to be indanger and my pet not I'd save you without question....but in this scenario that is not the case

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Way said:
Possibly. I've yet to see a really strong argument for saving the human posted, and you've failed to make one.
Indeed, and I'm not going to make an honest attempt either. I do not consistently adhere to any system of ethics, and can't be arsed to debate the subject.

Even so, I can guarantee you that you won't be able to choose the pet over the OP without being a supreme egoist. Regardless of how much you care for the lives of people whom you do not know, idly taking their lives opens up a parallel dimension of worms which most people should be rational enough to avoid.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
You imply that my dog has a lesser right to life simply because he is not a homo sapien sapien. You die.