Poll: Who would you rather let die, your pet or me?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
thiosk said:
[HEADING=3]After the fall of civilization, you best protect yourselves.

Because I'm feeding you all to my cat.[/HEADING]

FUCKING THREADWINNINGLY VICTORIOUS! XDXDXDXDXD

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Goddammit, I accidentally chose You instead of My pet.

I have a cat and a dog and I love both of them, but they ain't worth a human life imo.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Chronologger said:
EDIT: Did you people ever consider that the companionship that you had with your pet could be replaced and made even better by forming a companionship by whoever you just saved? You just saved someones life, surely they're going to be grateful, who wouldn't be? Not that companionship should be the main focus of this question obviously.
Nothing against the rest of your post, but that point is completely meaningless, the same logic could be applied to other people, not just a pet. Why save your friend over a stranger when you could just make friends with the stanger to replace him? It's fucking pointless to state hypothetical potential futures, sure it might happen, but it has no place in the process of actually making the decision of which to save, pet or stranger.

Chronologger

Apr 5, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Chronologger said:
Over 700 people chose their pet.

Really now, you're serious?

Think about it, your house is burning down for some reason, you walk into a room and you can see your dog and another human stuck under some collapsed ceiling.

And you people would go help the dog, knowing another human being has died because of your choice?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
If they are in my house I either know them or they are a burgler. Either answer invalidates the OP's "stranger you know nothing about" premise and thus your example is invalid.

EDIT: Did you people ever consider that the companionship that you had with your pet could be replaced and made even better by forming a companionship by whoever you just saved? You just saved someones life, surely they're going to be grateful, who wouldn't be? Not that companionship should be the main focus of this question obviously.
No. Someone who is your friend because they owe you is not a friend.
First of all, maybe that situation was a bit complicated for you then, I'll try to make it as bare-bones as possible because obviously you're looking for excuses to save the pet over the human.

Human about to die, your dog about to die.
Who do you help?

Secondly, don't you think that person might actually be genuinely THANKFUL instead of feeling like they OWE you, personally, if someone ever had to save my life, and they succeeded, I couldn't give two halves of a flying fuck about "owing" anybody, I would actually want to get to know and become friends with someone who would do something as courageous as putting themselves in possible danger to save somebody else's life. In fact if there was only one thing I could ever do in my lifetime it would be to try and give somebody else a chance of living. I don't know about you, but I see it as THE most respectable actions a human can make in their lives, so think carefully about what you pick, because the person you could be saving could be eternally grateful.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Brawndo said:
Even as a pet owner myself (I have a cat), I feel that people who put the lives of animals they own over other human beings are SELFISH. Selfish because their pets love them unconditionally and provide companionship, and they don't want to give this source of happiness up, while many people don't get along well with other humans. However, I personally could never live with the guilt knowing that I let another human being with family, friends, a significant other, a job where they provide value to others, hopes, and dreams die for an animal that is barely self-aware and mainly exists to make me happy and entertain me.

It would pain me to do so, but I would kill my cat myself so that any one of you may live.
If you think me deciding I'd save my dog whos not only my been a best friend but also like family to me for as long as I can remember over you makes me selfish well then I guess Im a selfish bastard! Nothing against you personally though I mean if I had time I'd go right back into whatever had been trying/about to kill you and my dog and try to save you. But my dog as I've said would have to come first.

And as for you saying you'd kill your cat to save anyone of us. And if for some awful but ironic reason its ever a matter of me or your cat for the love of God save your pet!

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
If there was no pet involved than by all means I would save you. I'm not going to choose the life of a stranger over my closest friend and companion. Call me selfish all you like, that would be my choice.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
so anyone who would save a defenseless pet that they love, over a stranger, is selfish? what, you didnt get the response you wanted so now your insulting people? you cant ask someones opinion and then call them a jerk if they give the wrong opinion. some people value the lives of animals just as much as the lives of humans, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
If you would have sex with me twice a day for a whole year then I would pick you.
Otherwise my pet.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'd rather let my pet die. I love my dog but he's not human and doesn't have higher brain function. Of course if you say anything bad about my pet once he's dead I might just accidentally throw you back into the fire/flood/zombies/emergency

The Stonker said:
If you would have sex with me twice a day for a whole year then I would pick you.
Otherwise my pet.
I know I'm not going to like the response but I gotta ask. What if the OP is the same gender as you?

Thimblefoot

May 10, 2009
Sorry, but I'm not about to let my pet cat, who I have had for 12 years, die, over some random guy who I have never met.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
00slash00 said:
some people value the lives of animals just as much as the lives of humans, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Try telling that to the guy you're leaving to die. Might be harder in person.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
Brawndo said:
Even as a pet owner myself (I have a cat), I feel that people who put the lives of animals they own over other human beings are SELFISH. Selfish because their pets love them unconditionally and provide companionship, and they don't want to give this source of happiness up, while many people don't get along well with other humans. However, I personally could never live with the guilt knowing that I let another human being with family, friends, a significant other, a job where they provide value to others, hopes, and dreams die for an animal that is barely self-aware and mainly exists to make me happy and entertain me.

It would pain me to do so, but I would kill my cat myself so that any one of you may live.
Under what rationality would I be selfish for choosing the life of my beloved animal to whom may have been apart of my life for years over a stranger? For all intended purposes you could be an individual I would rather see dead. Granted, I cede that is making presumptions I cannot possibly know, regardless you have no value by comparison. Whereas you could not live with the guilt, I would not have any to begin with. Fate demanded a choice and I chose.

That may sound callous but it is the reality, and frankly you sound as thought everyone would leap to your rescue and are agitated most would seemingly not. Partially why I was so blunt. ;)

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
I'd kill my pet to save the worst human alive. Human lives are inherently worth more than animal lives because, no matter how slim the chance, people have a shot at developing an idea that could be world changing. Animals never have that chance.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
I'm sure you're a lovely bloke, but I've known you for...10 seconds, I've known my pets for a year and 6 years respectively. ...I'm sorry sir, I will at least hope it's a painless death for you.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
I would definitely let my pet die over a human being. And I agree with you saying that there is a lack of empathy. I don't care how bad a person you are.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
If it was a total stranger, the stranger.

If it were you, I'd first wonder to myself, "Hey, isn't this the guy that posted a poll about whether or not I should save him before?" and then I'd laugh to myself a bit.

The decision would be harder, that is to say.