Poll: Why do you (not) eat meat?

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Aris Khandr said:
Oh no, if they're wandering and grazing, you're losing out on the best flavor. Get the ones that aren't allowed to move. Instead, the cows are massaged by hand every single day. The meat practically melts in your mouth into a puddle of pure happiness.
It would also melt my conscience.
The cows are very well treated. It just so happens that Japan doesn't have much room for letting them graze. They're not mistreated, in fact they're considered to be extremely valuable and important, and thus taken care of appropriately. At least, until it is time to become dinner.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Don Savik said:
People think we're eating cute little bunnies and kittens or something.
Yeah, that's my main problem with it. Also, they seem to think that salad is something that grows on the store shelves...

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Soods said:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!
How is it harmful to our environment, did you even take basic biology?

Dead is a natrual part of life and natrual selection, humans have been eating meat for as long as the species has existed.

If an entire kindom of living creaters specializes in breaking down dead things, and a many other animals who have been eating meat for millions of years existed, how can it be harful to the environment?

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
My tastebuds are hardcore meat fans. They'd totally riot in my mouth if I completely cut out meat.

However, I don't eat a lot of meat because I don't find it that appealing. I very rarely eat beef. I don't enjoy the taste of beef unless it's a top-notch cut of steak, expertly prepared. I love fish and various seafoods, though, and I enjoy fowl. I also enjoy some less common meats for the texture or flavor.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I eat meat.
I dont really like the idea of eating other animals, but, I think `Yes, its a sad thing` and then eat a ham sandwhich. People might say that makes me a hypocrite, but I don't think so. You can realise its a sad thing that animals become your lunch, while still enjoying your lunch.

I do love animals and I cant eat anything too cute, (I wouldn't eat rabbit or venison, but I've never had them before), but I see eating meat as completely natural.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I eat meat because I want to absorb the power of the mighty cow.

Plus, it just tastes damn fine.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
We're top of the food chain for a reason. So we can eat all that yummy meaty goodness, occasionally with some leafy crap on the side.

That said, I'm seriously considering playing the veggie card where I work, simply because the veggie food options are much higher quality (and much, much healthier and more varied!!) than the "normal" food. /flame shield activated.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
I eat meat because I don't really care about being ethical.

More to the point, my moral center is dialled up to somewhere between Fluttershy and Gandhi, and if I thought about the big picture, was fast enough to think about things before I do them (I'm not good at thinking in a social environment, I can hardly time saying "hi" right or get a correct response to a greeting), and actually cared about what my own sense of right and wrong has to say about stuff (since I don't believe in objective morality, just the morality in people's brains including my own), I would act something like that.

The issue of eating meat gets hit with the first and third of those - I don't really mentally associate a cooked piece of meat with the no-longer-living animal it came from, and because I like the taste of meat I don't feel that much of an incentive to correct that, because then I'd feel too bad about eating meat to be able to and all I'd gain is more consistency in my worldview, which isn't a very fair trade no matter how OCD you are.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
craftomega said:

Dead is a natrual part of life and natrual selection, humans have been eating meat for as long as the species has existed.

If an entire kindom of living creaters specializes in breaking down dead things, and a many other animals who have been eating meat for millions of years existed, how can it be harful to the environment?
I'm guessing he's talking about meat production on an industrial scale, not killing, eating, then pooping out some random critter.

On topic, yeah I do, it's what I was brought up doing, most ready made food has meat in and it tastes good. I do eat some vegetarian stuff that is just a nice recipe that happens to include no meat but there's not really enough variety in the stuff you can buy in the shops. I should certainly up my fruit and veg intake and lower my meat intake but that's a health issue rather than anything else.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I eat meat because it's easier to have a balanced diet when including protein and iron from meats. Additionally they are delicious and provide many options for meals. That's all there is to it really.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Because I just really, really like it.

However, I'm trying to limit my meat-binging. I reguard it as something special, not something you eat every day. It's not very good for the enviroment, after all, and I honestly think it tastes better when it feels special.

Also, I try to make sure the meat I get comes from animals who've had the least dysmal existance possible.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Lilani said:
I eat meat because I like it. It's tasty, and it's the cheapest and easiest way to feel full and get those nutrients. I don't kill and hunt personally because I don't like it, but I understand it's only natural and this world would be a total mess if we suddenly stopped hunting all animals.
Why do you think the world would be thrown into turmoil if we stopped killing animals? The meat on your plate has been farmed, not "hunted".

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
craftomega said:
Soods said:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!

You can check this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_vegetarianism#Environmental_argument] out.
According to the USDA, growing crops for farm animals requires nearly half of the U.S. water supply and 80% of its agricultural land.
producing animal-based food is typically much less efficient than the harvesting of grains, vegetables, legumes, seeds and fruits
And if that doesn't convince you, there are more [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production] articles about it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Beyond not causing excessive suffering, I don't believe morality applies to animals. I'm a biology university student, I've learned enough to know that animals don't have a mind like a human and so nothing is lost when we slaughter them for oh so tasty meat.

Plus steak is one of my favourite foods (mmmmhhhhhh!)

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
I eat meat because it's the easiest way to get protein and iron, which I need to survive.

Although, I scaled back how much meat I've been eating these past few months for the reasons cited by the OP. It doesn't make sense that more land and water are used for less net nutrition simply because it tastes slightly better.

Schizocorpse

Feb 21, 2012
We're humans. We're omnivores. I like the taste of meat. I hate hippies.

(GF's actually a vegetarian and since she's cooking I'm usually out of luck)