Poll: Why do you swear/curse?

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
As the title suggests.

If you feel like your stuck between two, just pick the one that you feel like occurs more often.

EDIT: How do you react to people who dont swear?

Personally, i notice it, but i dont curse that much, except for comedic effect, so i dont care.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Where's the option of "I don't"? That's better.

OT: I don't unless I'm in a lot of pain. That's really the only time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It depends what kind of swearing. If it's something like 'fuck' then it will be anger. If I am calling someone a 'bastard' then I am usually being light hearted (they made a joke about me or killed me in a game or whatnot), if I call someone a '*****' then it's almost always a guy and it's me taking the piss.

To be honest I swear too much, although thankfully I am not as bad as those people who speak like: "Then I went to the fucking shops to buy some fucking cigarettes."

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
I just do.

But only when I'm angered or annoyed. Which is quite often. Nevertheless I remain quite reputable, mostly because I keep my wits when I'm in polite company.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
A plethora of reasons actually, expression of anger, comedic affect, or to get the point across faster.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I swear out of habit. It's been integrated into my vocabulary.

I don't see a reason to use curse words specifically for anger when the tone of your voice already does that for you.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I can illustrate this point with an anecdote. My dad told me to go get our lawn mower out of the shed after winter and mow the grass since it was looking a bit long, so I got it out, filled it up, and pulled the starting cord the way I normally do, upon which it forcefully retracted, swinging wildly about,and left a giant welt on my torso. That is the kind of occasion in which I feel perfectly justified to swear.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Whether a word is a curse word or not, depends on the reaction of the listeners.
If noone cares then it's not.

Anyway, they are words like any others.
Not using them means limiting your vocabulary (just as using them too often).

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
i swear in anger or to make a point. i dont really find it rude unless you are literally calling someone something. unless they're a douche