Poll: Why do you swear/curse?

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I mostly use it to emphasize a point, but I also use it just because I can...

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
I use swearing for all sorts of creative purposes, but I do like using it for comedic effect the most.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
I think I saw this thread pretty recently.

I do it for emphasis, or they just slip into common phrases.

eg. "Fuckin' 'ell."

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I try not to, but it slips sometimes, generally when something really bad/ painful/ stupid happens.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
NightShadeNes said:
To express anger nobody takes you seriously if you don't swear
Exactly!

"Shit, my fucking leg is broken" sounds a lot better than "Gosh darn it, my flipping leg is broken"

dlawnro

Jul 2, 2010
Just 'cause most of the time, but I put "comedic effect" because that's what I like the best. I especially love taking phrases which normally use one curse word and replace it with another i.e. "Son of an ass" or just a normal phrase and replacing one word with a curse word i.e. "Oh Jesus fuck!"

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
i just do.

many of my friends do.
sometimes for comedy effect sometimes to emphasize a point.

sometimes to just call a friend an ass because he won in a game.
always in a sense of comedy though.

none of us really mean it.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
What I say is what I say and fuck if it pisses somebody off.

Even better if it does, I hate those anti-swearing people. Usually a bunch of backwater religious/"spiritual" people hiding behind their delusions.
dathwampeer said:

Just do.

Why do some people not. That's the bigger question. It annoys me when people get offended by it.

They're just words. Grow up.
Pretty much that.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Only time I swear is if I get hurt badly, like in sports or if I accidentally in the morning kick my toes into an open door or something. Otherwise I don't because I think it just shows how small your vocabulary is. Also if I quote and there are curse words I use them... Many of my friends swear A LOT and so I am not affected by swearing, sometimes I tell them to try and keep it down with the words when in an crowded area but usually they just start screaming curses all over the place instead just because I commented it, but I am not affected, I try to think of the environment I am in if it is even okay in quotes in some situations, like around children.