Poll: Why do you swear/curse?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Several reasons! Pain, comedic effect, anger. But I make sure that I never swear in front of family or family friends or adults who get annoyed by it, I have manners.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
To emphasive something in narrative, or as an adjective. Or when something doesn't go right, and I need to exclaim my dissastisfaction. It also depends on the company I'm with. When I'm around my parents or my sisters, I usually never swear, and especially since my niece and nephews were born, I've had to be mindful of my language around them.

However, when I used to work construction, and everyone around you is a hard-working, hard-drinking man, with a smoke constantly dangling out of their mouth, the language obviously changes, and "fuckin" becomes a prefix in nearly every sentence. But then, once again, when you're working around the public, even with those guys, one must be mindful of one's language, lest someone else become offended. I usually don't get offended with other people's foul language, unless it's in completely inappropriate company, then I have to step up and assert the status quo, even though I swear somewhat regularly myself. So I swear for many many different reasons, but I always try to stay mindful of when it's appropriate or not.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I swear for emphasis, to relieve irritation, and for comedic effect.
I'm irish. To not slip the odd swear into conversation would be just plain weird, over here.

Jesus begorrah fucktits.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
I rarely swear in a normal sentence, but I do swear when I'm angry, in pain or trying to get a point across.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I try to only swear for two specific reasons[footnote]Not because I think that there are some words that are just inherently "dirty" or reprehensible, but rather because if overused, swearing loses its impact, and thus the point of swearing in the first place is eliminated. Also, people that swear all the time are fucking annoying. [/footnote]:

1. To emphasise a point that I think particularly needs to be made.
2. For comedic effect.

Of course, I'm not always successful to limiting my swearing to these occasions. In times of extreme confusion or rage, sometimes all you can really say is "What the fuck?"

Draithx

Jul 8, 2009
I usually swear when I'm annoyed.
Also when I'm angry, but being annoyed happens more often then me being angry.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
To express anger, to mark a statement and for comedic effect.
Seriously, what the fuck do you think?

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
I swear because I want to. Its pretty much part of my vocabulary now. I once tried to stop swearing for a day and still ended up swearing around 30-50 times.

Being Scottish may also have something to do with it. >>

FailingwithStyle

Jun 18, 2009
I mainly do it out of anger, being in pain, or just to emphasize a point. There's nothing wrong with it. Personally, I find it weird if you don't swear.

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
Dr. Danger said:
I swear out of habit. It's been integrated into my vocabulary.

I don't see a reason to use curse words specifically for anger when the tone of your voice already does that for you.
I'm the same as you. Also, I think it's fucking retarded that people get "offended" by cuss words.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I tend to use swearing when emotions are heightened.

But swear words are just words. It's the power you give them!

Blackality

Oct 18, 2009
When in English i use swearing to express anger, indignation, to make a point or for comedy.
When in Portuguese only in extreme situations, extreme words.