Poll: Why do you swear/curse?

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
I swear just because it's become a part of the American dialect. So, it's more or less become habit and pure coincidence that I swear. Although when I'm in certain company, I try my best not to swear. My granpa never did like it, and he rarely swore himself, so I try not to when in his presence.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Usually for comic effect, but if I cause myself some pain (like if I try to get away from the table and end up kicking a table leg with my little toe by accident) you bet your ass I'm going to curse.

Randvek

Jan 5, 2010
Swear words try to exchange creativity for shock value. I can't think of many situations in which that is a good trade. Emergencies, perhaps, or when you have to make a very important point. It has no value in casual conversation other than to display your own shortcomings.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I use it to emphasise what I'm saying, and occasionally when I'm angry. Although when I'm angry, I tend to rant in very long words.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
If people aren't listening to a point that I'm making and it's one that they need to hear, I raise my voice and start swearing. The swearing is usually what gets their attention.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
All of the above, but mostly habit; or perhaps just because there's no fucking point not swearing. It's just a word, you silly, silly people. Get over yourselves.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
In 1939, at the end of Gone With The Wind, the final line spoken is 'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn'.
At the time this was considered quite shocking, since profanity wasn't allowed in films. Nowadays, the word damn isn't even thought of as a curse word by most people, especially the youth.

A few years ago, a series called Deadwood was made, set in the late 1800s. It was criticized for its excessive use of profanity. The creator defended this, saying that in truth, people did swear heavily back then, but the use of words like 'tarnation' and 'goldarn' are just considered comical by modern audiences.

The point I'm making here is, language changes, and what is considered a swear word one generation becomes nothing but common speak for the next. No doubt by the time we're all old and greying, the common swear words we all (or a lot of of) use will be considered dated, and replaced by new swears.

I swear because, honestly, I don't understand the idea of getting offended by a generic word.
Blasphemous words? Yep, totally understand that. You have a deity, you don't like to see them belittled, no argument here.
But the word shit? Which means exactly the same thing as the word poo? I just don't understand taking offence to that.

[EDIT] It's a long thread and I didn't bother to read it all, apologies if I've just repeated anything thats already been said. Take it as a 'seconded' for your own post :D

Clueless Hero

Oct 5, 2009
Comedic effect/Just do. I mean, they're just words. I can understand not using them around small children, but if you're above 12, it shouldn't matter much.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Swear words are my verbal exclamation point. They can also be funny when creatively combined.

Also: yay! 5000!

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
For the longest time it's just been a force of habit.
I don't mean to add 'fucking' into most of what I say or write, but it just happens.

I've always been that way.

sirkai007

Apr 20, 2009
I do it to be awesome.

My religious beliefs teach me that I shouldn't but I am not perfect. I do my best to not do use profanity, but I slip. A lot. Especially in times of anger.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
when do you use verbs?
when the conversation decrees, same as swearing, it's just part of the language and anyone who is offended by it is immature