Poll: Why do you swear?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
It is just a habit I've developed over time though its never really in an angry or any special tone. I mostly use it for expressing disappointment, like aww fuck, or fucking hell. Though I will drop it significantly when around certain people.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
Because I've somehow worked all swears available into my everyday vocabulary.

I often get in trouble at school (and home) for it. But fuck them, I can say what I want.

Comrade Mateo

Inventor of the POWER STANCE
May 1, 2009
no oneder said:
My option wasn't in the poll.

I'm guessing it's an age thing to swear. It makes me feel adult.
More or less I agree with you, but I also have been noticing that not swearing has an emphasis in itself. It seems a bit more mature, or conceded.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I actually don't swear that much to be quite honest. I just don't really feel the need to swear every other word, even though it is also dependent on who I am with. With certain friends I tend to swear more, but when left to my own devices I tend not to speak that much, let alone swear.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I use profanity for how I perceive its purpose in language: Extreme emphasis.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Emphasis, and I like the way it sounds. Plus, it's funny.. take '**** wagon' for example, it wouldn't be funny without '****'. Cockney rhyming slang is fun too, 'fuck it' becomes 'bucket' and so on, fun stuff..

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Really dont know why, but absofuckinglutly love it.... Oh and another thing people who stop you mid sentence and tell you to stop swearing bug the living shit out of me. Even though it was my boss i still felt like roundhouse kicking her in the face.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Because it's fun.
This, and it has been scientifically been proven to make you more resistant to pain.

(according to the Mythbusters)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
For emphasis I suppose. That's not to say that I don't normally swear for no good reason though.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Usually emphasis. I don't try and fucking censor myself or anything though, so if I swear it's no biggie.
Cockmongers.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Because I fucking sometimes fucking swear, it's a shitting habit and I can't stop cunting swearing all the crappy time.

Also, this was brilliant.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
I loved how this was above the Well...shit thread...
DAMN YOU ULTIMANTEOWNAGE! YOU NINJA'D ME! (see what I did there?)
OT:I swear for emphasis, effect, comedic relief, and when I just got injured. If I fall on my knee coming out of the shower and land on the hardwood, I'm going to swear. A lot.
Usually I don't swear a lot in public, but when I'm with friends I tend to swear more.

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
I don't swear. I just say words that seem to annoy people who think certain words have voodoo powers of criminal harm against the minds of others, that have the same meaning as other perfectly socially acceptable (if possibly childish) words. Usually out of pain, surprise, or for humors sake.

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Because it's fun.
That's my reasoning. To me, I think it's just that the world is socially retarded when they try to ban particular words. "No kids, FUCK YOU!"