Poll: Why does everyone hate ME3 so badly?

GreenHollow NY

Jul 5, 2011
Pretty much what the subject line states. To clarify, although there are problems and fan rage for things like the Tali's face = stock photograph incident that I completly agree with, for the most part I am really enjoying Mass Effect 3 and cannot wrap my head around all of the ungodly amounts or rage. Enlighten me :)

Edit: Sorry this is my first forum posting and apparently I did horribly with the poll :(

2: Fixed it :)

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
In terms of actual reviews, rather than anger at specifics like the Tali thing or the DLC thing, I've mostly heard that ME3 is quite excellent.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
It's just general internet hate. In other words, negligible.

The game is excellent, one of the best games I've ever played.

And yes you will hear a lot of moaning about the ending, but that was always going to be the case.

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
Have you seen the ending? The entire game is great until the last 15 minutes, then they proceed to invalidate all your accomplishments and shoehorn you into three variations of the same ending that are all filled with plot-holes and are completely unsatisfying.

It turns out a large majority of your choices didn't actually mean anything, and for a series that's been boasting about it's choices actually meaning something for the past 5 years it has completely failed in that department.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
It's just one of those internet phenomenon where people hate something that's popular. Happens with Call of Duty or Halo, and people will spew venom about the games without so much as seeing the title screen of them. I've been playing the game nonstop since I picked it up, and other than wearing down my Controllers, I can't really find too many problems with the game other than some cliping issues and texture pop-ins, but that's probably because of how old my console it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ME3 is a sad case for me because it has two flaws, one is Tali's face (which to be fair I got over quickly) and the other is the ending, which completely ruined an otherwise flawless game for me.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
XUnsafeNormalX said:
Have you seen the ending? The entire game is great until the last 15 minutes, then they proceed to invalidate all your accomplishments and shoehorn you into three variations of the same ending that are all filled with plot-holes and are completely unsatisfying.

It turns out a large majority of your choices didn't actually mean anything, and for a series that's been boasting about it's choices actually meaning something for the past 5 years it has completely failed in that department.
erttheking said:
ME3 is a sad case for me because it has two flaws, one is Tali's face (which to be fair I got over quickly) and the other is the ending, which completely ruined an otherwise flawless game for me.
Exactly how I feel. It's like they wrote the entire story flawlessly and put off the ending until the last second. I boggles my mind.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't bought it yet, that's why I chose "Derp". I expect it to be decent but nothing much more than that.

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
Fappy said:
XUnsafeNormalX said:

erttheking said:
Exactly how I feel. It's like they wrote the entire story flawlessly and put off the ending until the last second. I boggles my mind.
Well. Could you imagine how many development hours it would have taken to make your decisions actually matter? There would be slight changes to the ending based on various decisions that could have possibly branched off your story into multiple directions.

It's much easier and more cost efficient to just come up with a very poor plot device to make all your decisions useless and force you down a one ending path. Maybe around the time of Mass Effect 1 Bioware had this view for the ending of the series. But when EA came in Bioware changed completely. The rule now is it make it as quick and cheap as possible while appealing to as many audiences as possible.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
I haven't had a problem with it myself, other than I have found that it forces me to swap discs quite often. I have a sinking suspicion that the story missions of the game are on disc one and the side missions are on disc two. If that is the case, that's rather disappointing.

Other than that, the game I have found to be quite excellent. I have heard complaints about the dialogue but to be honest, I have found nothing in the game that seems to me to be inadequate. I have a sinking suspicion that we might be running into a situation where people just prefer a certain kind of dialogue and are unhappy that ME3 is not representative of that. After all, how do you fix someone when their opinion boils down to "The writing in ME3 is TERRIBLE, they should hire GOOD writers like Stephanie Meyers and RA Salvatore." I have also found that the dialogue options seem to be somewhat more consistent than they admitted were in Dragon Age 2 where sometimes Hawke would behave in strikingly different manner than the dialogue option would seem to suggest.

In terms of visuals, they are very good, although I have notices on my Xbox some of the usual mass effect issues of anti-aliasing problems and texture loading issues. There are also some points in the game where the game will lag while transitioning areas, but I don't find it to be significantly bothersome to effect my enjoyment of the game.

I feel that the combat in ME3 is more fluid than in ME2, I enjoy the option of the combat dodge, I find that it adds some depth to your movement on the battlefield. I do find that at first it is a little unfriendly for new players as sometimes you end up breaking cover when you meant to move around the corner or enter cover when you meant to dodge, but these complaints are pretty standard with a cover system game, and I have found that after playing the game and making sure that I am more deliberate with my movements, I have been able to minimize this issue.

The classes and playstyles are still widely varied, (I challenge anyone who tries to compare ME3 to Gears of War to play the vanguard class and make that complaint with a straight face). I feel that in ME1, the RPG elements of the game were not done very well. There were too many trees and most of the time, the upgrades were simple math fixes. I didn't feel that I was making meaningful choices about character development. ME2 went the completely opposite direction by significantly paring down the skill trees. While overall I felt that this made the individual classes far more unique by giving them all an exclusive ability and making skill tree advances have a more significant impact on the game, I felt that by reducing the trees some much, they took away a bit from the uniqueness of individual characters as there really was only one good path for progression. In ME3, you have more trees like in ME1, but they retain the changes in ME2 that makes progressing in a tree a meaningful decision instead of a math fix. Likewise, they have made it so that you can customize your character even more when you max out your powers by giving you multiple progression paths to follow, which adds some uniqueness to my vanguard over my friend's vanguard.

What I have found to be very impressive is the way that Bioware has made the choices from ME1 and ME2 integrate in the story in significant ways. You will find often that the story in ME3 will be changed by choices you have made in ME1 and ME2, this is ESPECIALLY true when it comes to whether squadmates in ME2 survived the suicide mission and were loyal to you. If I did have to make a complaint in this department, it would be that decisions that you made in DLC in ME1 and ME2 DO have an impact on ME3. Just last night I did a side mission where the only way to get the best outcome was to have Kasumi on your team in ME2 survive the suicide mission and be loyal. I am conflicted over this because while it is nice to see that Bioware is rewarding people who purchased DLC in ME2, by the converse they are punishing people who did NOT buy the DLC. As someone who did get the DLC, this issue doesn't directly effect me, but I can see people being upset by being blocked from certain story elements because they elected not to purchase optional content in a previous game. Regardless of how you feel about this, it must be said that I am impressed by Bioware's ability to make the decisions have true meaning in this game. I felt in ME2 that decisions you made in ME1 had little effect in ME2 outside of character cameos. Furthermore, I have found that some of the choices I made in ME1 and ME2 have not turned out how I would have intended them to, and while I understand, it is somewhat disappointing that decisions I made with the best intentions have had negative consequences in ME3.

As an example, in ME1 you have the option of saving an Asari worker at Saren's genophage facility on Virmire. Likewise, you also run into her on ME2 and again have the Paragon option of sparing her. In ME3 you receive a letter that she, acting on Reaper Indoctrination, blew up a facility killing herself and a number of civilians. I found myself somewhat frustrated with the fact that I constantly made Paragon choices with the intention of sparing and rehabilitating this individual with the final result being WORSE than if I had taken the Renegade option of killing her on Virmire

I have read some of the complaints people have put forth regarding the usage of stock images for certain parts of the game. Personally, I have not gotten to these parts of the game, so I am hesitant to comment, but I would like to say that I think that people are more upset by the fact that stock images were used in the first place rather than the stock images being inadequate in themselves. I simply don't think that these people, without knowing that those images were from stock images, would have been upset when they saw those photos. There complaint is with the lack of originality on the behalf of the art department, not the adequacy of the images themselves (although I believe that some people have colored their opinions of the adequacy of the images based on the information that they are stock photos). Would I have preferred that Bioware made their own images for these parts of the game? Certainly. But I don't think that their not doing this in some way RUINS ME3. Likewise, I am already seeing people complain about copywrite issues. I would just like to say that I think it is unclear at this time whether Bioware actually licensed these images, and it might be presumptive on the part of the reviewer to assume that Bioware stole, rather than licensed these images. I would however just like to say that I am ignorant as to whether or not this is the case and subject to more details being revealed about this, I reserve the right to change my opinion as to the copywrite issue.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I've not played the game so im in no position to judge it, hence i chose the derp option, also just so as i could see the pole results, after doing a little light reading though from various websites and sources of review materiel, ive come to a conclusion about why its recieving alot of hate.

Firstly the day one dlc seems to be a big issue, some vague referances to bad writing and poor endings, lack of important choices or just flat out ret-cons from imported files also feature heavily, cut down dialogue options and connecting multiplayer progress to singleplayer seems to be a problem for alot of people. Another thing ive noted is several people reporting bugs both with the game and the mandatory use of origin.

Personaly its not a game im going to buy, for the same reasons i didnt play the first two i have a dislike of squadbased npc games, its the same reason i disliked kotor, i know there is alot more to the game, but its for me a hurdle that im not prepared to jump.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Game A is popular and highly anticipated. So naturally, publisher wants to squeeze every penny out of it and does stuff that pisses some people off. Those people then complain about it on the internet, shouting things like 'abusing customers', 'boycott' and 'I will not buy this game out of protest'. This encourages other people, whom before didn't give a shit, to start complaining too. A whole bunch of forum threads get started, heated arguments arise, feces gets flung by both sides of said arguments and occasionally it gets big enough that it reaches gaming news.

Then Game A is released and 99% of the complainers buy it.

Not the most subtle way of putting it and a bit of a generalization, but it is my opinion of that most vocal part of the gaming community. They love to complain, but all too often fail to follow through on it. It seems the conviction of the average gamer is about as weak as the bladder of the worlds most incontinent person 3 days after eating a metric ton of prunes while listening to the soothing sound of flowing water and not once going to the bathroom the whole time. If some business practice really offends you, then don't provide business to that company. Of any kind. Doing so anyway will not help your cause in any way.

Because massive companies like EA are not diabolical masterminds out to screw over their customers. They are amoral and singleminded in their pursuit of money. They don't care about the ethics of their business tactics so long as they work, and as far as I know, it has always been this way. Oh, I'm sure they are well aware of the fact they piss people off, but that is nowhere near enough to convince them to change their ways when it doesn't really affect their revenue in the slightest. So they'll keep pissing us off, because they know the greater majority will buy their product regardless, ensuring their profits.

And I have no idea whether I should feel angered, saddened or amused by the state both the gaming industry and the community are in right now. I really don't. And it is getting frustrating.

Okay, I feel like I got way sidetracked there, but I just wanted to get something off my chest. By the way, I know there are other reasons why people may dislike ME3. Ones that have to do with the contents of the game itself, like the endings. And I'm sure there are people out there that do have the will to follow through on their stated intentions. Respect to you.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
XUnsafeNormalX said:

I don't see how this came as a surprise to anyone.

I know my choices in Mass Effect 1 were less than important when they were briefly mentioned in Mass Effect 2. Hardly game changing. I have no intention of buying Mass Effect 3, but I'm willing to bet that the carry over from 2 to 3 is just as evident, if not more transparent.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Nimcha said:
It's just general internet hate. In other words, negligible.

The game is excellent, one of the best games I've ever played.

And yes you will hear a lot of moaning about the ending, but that was always going to be the case.
Couldn't the oposite be said also? That people who think it is excellent are fans of the game and are blinded by fandom?

OT: haters gonna hate , lovers gonna love , at the end ofthe day it's everyones individual opinion that counts.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
cause the really want to play it, but have to stand by their stance of,
"EA is the worst thing since (insert your own bad thing here)!"

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008

Seriously, people always do this, they did it with Halo, Call of Duty, and every other game that is popular to those who aren't "hardcore"(Imagine that with immense sarcasm) gamers.