Poll: Why does everyone hate ME3 so badly?

Jarod Frye

Jun 14, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
There is no rightfully hating an ending.

Secondly the "choice" aspect of the game only applied to what happened in it, not what would happen AFTER the game was done. I don't understand how people constantly misconstrue that.

Beyond that they dont need to show anything, old RPGs didn't SHOW you anything, they just told you and people worship games like Bauldr's gate 1 and 2 for that.

I find it sad that gamers have lost all imagination and now require constant hand holding in every aspect of a game.
So if I paid 60 bucks for a game expect a rightful conclusion I should not be angry. Granted I won't JUDGE a game on that Merit (The game is BLOODY amazing overall., and WELL worth the $60 Dollars, not matter how much EA/Bioware haters want to say otherwise.) The Ending just cheated the user out of such a GOOD Experience.

and you said it yourself that Baldur's gate 1 and 2 aren't the best in Video Game storytelling and I believe it's FOR that reason. Also that is not how Bioware billed the game, it was built on the presance (And Advertised as, like with most Bioware games.) that the choices of your character will affect the world around them. This counted for the ending as well, ESPECIALLY in Mass Effect 2 (Where the choices you made DID matter on which you got the good or bad ending. Negating the fact that ME3 follows the Good ending, You have a CHOICE to end it on the Bad ending From 2, if you wanted to experience it.)

It's not hand holding that people want a FULL COMPLETE story for a Conclusion, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are in a series that CONTINUED after their respective games (With Dark Alliance...Sort of.) Your character affected the lives and politics of many races, and to not have that touched on even remotely during the ending, just isn't right to overall how the game was billed and BUILT behind. A concluding story is supposed to do just That Conclude and tie up the loose ends.

It's not a BAD ending, it's a BROKEN one. I agree that the Mass Relays and the Citadel needed to go down, I agree with the ways it can and needed to be done. I don't agree that the Ending Ignores the choices that you made.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Bioware billed the game as "your choices will affect what happens in the this game and the future games".

They never billed it as "every little thing you do will have some super deep impact on the post game universe beyond the ending of the final game".

secondly the ending of ME2 didn't change much in ME3, you got different war assets.
Beyond that you DID get a full conclusion to the game
-Reapers are dead
-The races are saved, some may be killed off, such as the Rachnai, Quarrians, Geth, depening on your actions
-Shepard ends the seemingly endless cycle of genocide and technological enslavement the Mass relays and The Reapers caused
-You see the stargazers that prove that civilization will continue on

Just because you don't get a day by day rundown of what all your companions ate for lunch for the next 60 years doesn't mean you didn't get a full ending.
Also I never said the ending ignores the choices you made.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I've heard nothing but good things.

Aside from the issue of the ending being less-than-satisfactory, but it's a given that the ending wouldn't live up to hype.

Jarod Frye

Jun 14, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Bioware billed the game as "your choices will affect what happens in the this game and the future games".

They never billed it as "every little thing you do will have some super deep impact on the post game universe beyond the ending of the final game".

secondly the ending of ME2 didn't change much in ME3, you got different war assets.
Beyond that you DID get a full conclusion to the game
-Reapers are dead
-The races are saved, some may be killed off, such as the Rachnai, Quarrians, Geth, depening on your actions
-Shepard ends the seemingly endless cycle of genocide and technological enslavement the Mass relays and The Reapers caused
-You see the stargazers that prove that civilization will continue on

Just because you don't get a day by day rundown of what all your companions ate for lunch for the next 60 years doesn't mean you didn't get a full ending.
Also I never said the ending ignores the choices you made.
Who said anything about the companions, I said The PEOPLE you affected, as in THE RACES!!

aSmo

Nov 6, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
I don't hate ME3, I hate EA; ME3 it just an unfortunate casualty of that hate.
This, in a manner of speaking. I'll subscribe to your service and install the client if it's worth it, and consequently purchase software from that point on. Not the other way around.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
my only 2 problems... well, 1 really, the other one isn't even a problem, are mostly about how the game is kind of a PC game that got a bit... "simplified" for consoles where it shouldn't have been
now, don't get me wrong, I'm not some bullshit PC elitist, but my point is, in short, that the space bar just does too much
from interacting, to sprinting to hiding on cover
know what I mean?
the other thing is how you can't holster your weapons, and from what I read, it's due to memory restraints that really only exists on consoles
again, it's not a real problem, it just looks a bit silly =P
other than that, I kinda do think that people who hate it for such petty reasons kinda.... forgot that it's a game and that you're supposed to just have fun with it

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
None of the above.

From what I hear, Id have fun with it except for being annoyed at the endings.

But Origin. The problem with ME3 is that regardless of whether I enjoy it or not, I dont trust the distributor to allow me access 5 years on in the future when they get bored of their current experiment and shut it down. So I didnt buy it.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Too lazy to read the thread, so if this has been said, I apologize. I really don't think people outright HATE ME3. Obviously there are some people who do hate it, but that's not why it's being attacked the way it is. Right now, people are identifying what is wrong with gaming culture with ME3 and BioWare.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jarod Frye said:
Who said anything about the companions, I said The PEOPLE you affected, as in THE RACES!!
The same thing applies to them also, why do you need a day by day rundown of what the races did for the next 60 years.

I will tell you what happened, they rebuilt thier shattarted homeworlds and re-made techonlogy, do you REALLY need that said for every single race when its so obvious?

Jarod Frye

Jun 14, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
The same thing applies to them also, why do you need a day by day rundown of what the races did for the next 60 years.

I will tell you what happened, they rebuilt thier shattarted homeworlds and re-made techonlogy, do you REALLY need that said for every single race when its so obvious?
See, here's the thing, PROVE IT?

See the problem, the problem is that there is no PROOF that everything has turned for the better. As much as you WANT to believe there is (It doesn't help that the tone of the game was explicitly darker.) There is no guarantee. I don't need a day to day Rundown, but at-least during the credit, SHOW these populations rebuilding, show that our choices in the game actually MEANT Diddly Squat.

First rule of Storytelling

Show, don't tell.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jarod Frye said:

See the problem, the problem is that there is no PROOF that everything has turned for the better. As much as you WANT to believe there is (It doesn't help that the tone of the game was explicitly darker.) There is no guarantee. I don't need a day to day Rundown, but at-least during the credit, SHOW these populations rebuilding, show that our choices in the game actually MEANT Diddly Squat.

Show, don't tell.
See, here's the thing, prove that it doesn't happen.

The stargazers at the end of the game show that civilizations do carry on in a post-relay galaxy.

given the themes of the series and the stargazers existence, there is more evidence that they did, then they didn't.

xdj220

Jun 7, 2010
Three reasons:

1. Requires Origin.
2. Bad writing.
3. This: http://crystalprisonzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/bioware-day-one-dlc-developed.html?m=1
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/10/the-problem-with-biowares-mass-effect-3-day-one-dlc-from-ashes/

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
xdj220 said:
Three reasons:

1. Requires Origin.
2. Bad writing.
3. This: http://crystalprisonzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/bioware-day-one-dlc-developed.html?m=1
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/10/the-problem-with-biowares-mass-effect-3-day-one-dlc-from-ashes/
Too bad it has been proven that bioware didnt lie about the DLC.

Nice try though.

What most people fail to realize, and those that do often leave out on purpose to generate more hate, is that DLC often has placeholder files in the game to allow for easier integration.

DNF had placeholder files for 4 dlc in it, Mass Effect 2 had files for lair of the shadow broker in it on release, I wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim had placeholder files for DLC somewhere. New vegas had files for DLC4 inside of DLC2.

Does it mean the DLC was made before release? no, it means the put in placeholder files for easier integration.

captcha: Head Case, what i think many of the people who don't understand the ending are.

iseeyouthere

Jan 21, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Jarod Frye said:

Show, don't tell.
See, here's the thing, prove that it doesn't happen.

The stargazers at the end of the game show that civilizations do carry on in a post-relay galaxy.

given the themes of the series and the stargazers existence, there is more evidence that they did, then they didn't.
No. The stargazers show two (presumed) humans staring up at the sky in a country area. There are no cities, towns, crowds of people... There is nothing to show us that the universe is rebuilding. Those two could be the only survivors of a colony.

It shows us nothing to support either side that the universe is ok or not. It shows us nothing to show us rebuilding or not.
We have no proof that anything happened good or bad.
And to do that after a saying there will be an "epic conclusion"? It leaves it with so many holes in the story that you could take it to a cheese shop and call it Swiss.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
iseeyouthere said:
No. The stargazers show two (presumed) humans staring up at the sky in a country area. There are no cities, towns, crowds of people... There is nothing to show us that the universe is rebuilding. Those two could be the only survivors of a colony.

It shows us nothing to support either side that the universe is ok or not. It shows us nothing to show us rebuilding or not.
We have no proof that anything happened good or bad.
And to do that after a saying there will be an "epic conclusion"? It leaves it with so many holes in the story that you could take it to a cheese shop and call it Swiss.
Except the story doesn't have holes and I could easily explain them all as "you didnt pay attention".

Also civilization =/= mega cities and spaceships

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
The endings weren't bad.....they were mediocre. No where near the quality of the rest of the game, they left too much unanswered. It could be much, much better.