Poll: Why isn't Australia in any shooters?

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
Other: people would be mesmerized by the beaches and hot ladies. no one would want to fight.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Azrael the Cat said:
Particularly noticeable with the first two Fallout games (the Interplay/Black Isle rpgs) that were heavily based on Mad Max 2, an Australian film set in post-nuclear-apocalypse rural Australia. Yet the b*******s had to move the setting to the US:-(. Not happy.
they werent "based on" but more "heavly inspired by" I mean mad max definetly influenced the whole "asthetic"

and it wasnt such a bad thing as they created a very unique post-apocolyptic world with the whole crazy pre war thing

but yeah a fllout Australia could totally work (vault boy would be a kangaroo in a vault jumpsiut)

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Reallink said:
Our release of the recent SOCOM got redubbed with Australian accents. Ugh. The huge African-American with a standard Australian accent

UGH
XD

That sounds hilarious, actually.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
OptimusPrime33 said:
It would get banned from Australia itself for being too violent (bazing). Also, that Australian accent would get VERRRRRRRY annoying after about 2 hours of playing. Americans have no accent so it's tolerable.
they have AMERICAN accets

and it would only be annoying if it were americans trying to do Aussie accents badly, I swear to god there is NOTHING more painful to hear,

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Zekksta said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
Americans have no accent so it's tolerable.
You're joking right?
He probably means that Americans have no general accent, but rather a whole bunch of regional ones, and even more subsets of accents within those regions.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Zekksta said:
zHellas said:
Zekksta said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
You're joking right?
He probably means that Americans have no general accent, but rather a whole bunch of regional ones, and even more subsets of accents within those regions.
Without sounding rude, that's true for everywhere.
Yeah, but compare the size of America to other nations. The dialects might differ slightly for Germany or Italy from town to town, but with how far apart some regions are to each other, it's like speaking another whole language.

tl;dr version: Because the U.S. is bigger in landmass (hopefully that's the right term), the dialects differ much more from each region.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Mad Max as a game....

I cant think of anything the Aussies have done that was massive...

fight in World War II?

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
zHellas said:
Zekksta said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
You're joking right?
\

Australian accents are for some reason really badly done in any media at all that has a character with an "Australian" accent. Hearing supposed "Australians" speak in any game/movie/TV show just doesn't sound normal. I don't know anyone in real life who speaks like that.

So it would be good if they got Australians who sound like real Australians to do the voices.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Funkysandwich said:
So it would be good if they got Australians who sound like real Australians to do the voices.
Yeah...

That doesn't sound right. How can an Australian not sound like a "real" Australian?

Are you all just bodysnatchers, and the Australians that founded the country are being exported as food?! AHHHH!!! I found out your secret plan, fuckers!!!"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Pretty much this, although I understand some of our equipment such as the ASLAV (a modified LAV25) is in demand in Afghanistan and Iraq due to the modifications we made to it that allow it to operate well in the desert since I think military testing here involves kicking the ever loving shit out of the gear in the middle of the Red Centre.

But all in all, what the Aussie 'Digger' might lack in toys like Predator drones, laser designators for missiles from big aircraft etc, they make up in balls and brains. Not to say our Transatlantic cousins aren't brave or smart, but due to the small size of the Army, fighting smart is our best option....
Not entirely true. Australia doesn't produce much in the way of that, yes, but nowdays that isn't an issue. The Australian military bought Abrams tanks and unmanned drones from the US, to replace the Leopard tanks they'd previously bought from Germany (which never fired their weapons in anger, BTW), the Austeyr is a variant of the Austrian Steyr AUG, etc.

Bushmaster have been exported to the Dutch, IIRC (who stick remote weapons systems on them) and Austeyrs are sold to NZ. It'd be interesting to see how the AICW project turns out.

Gordon_4 said:
Yeah, but compare the size of America to other nations. The dialects might differ slightly for Germany or Italy from town to town, but with how far apart some regions are to each other, it's like speaking another whole language.

tl;dr version: Because the U.S. is bigger in landmass (hopefully that's the right term), the dialects differ much more from each region.
That's not neccesarily true. The UK has almost no landmass, but a massive amount of different cultures and accents. Compare the Cockney to the Cornish accent, and that's not even leaving England.

Secondly, the US has large landmass compared to say, Western Europe, but not Russia or Australia.

SuperVegas

Nov 20, 2009
Yeah Queenslanders and Sydney folk sound different to Melbournians.

Even within melbourne theres a few different accents.

for example the northcote hipster...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZiae16Ry8

Gravy Boat Gary

Apr 13, 2011
There is a Marine with an Australian accent in the Halo series, in-fact is voiced by Australian voice actor
Andrew McKaige

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Vault101 said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
It would get banned from Australia itself for being too violent (bazing). Also, that Australian accent would get VERRRRRRRY annoying after about 2 hours of playing. Americans have no accent so it's tolerable.
they have AMERICAN accets

and it would only be annoying if it were americans trying to do Aussie accents badly, I swear to god there is NOTHING more painful to hear,
This is why the rules for The Non-Prophets [http://www.nonprophetsradio.com/] drinking game have a special sub-rule for the hosts attempting foreign accents: Two drinks if it's Australian.

Ashesinmind

Mar 24, 2010
Vault101 said:
OptimusPrime33 said:
Having to have had to listen to an American accent on every game I've ever played over a 12 year period is not something I would say I've enjoyed. Having said that though I've been lucky enough to experience a token character with an English accent...

Who usually gets treated like an exotic species.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
zHellas said:
Funkysandwich said:
Yeah...

That doesn't sound right. How can an Australian not sound like a "real" Australian?
Because they seem to massively exaggerate the accent and it ends up sounding awful. To my ears they do not sound like any Australians I know, and I live in Australia.