Poll: Why the Hell would you buy the new Pokemon game?

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I'm picking them up because for the first time since crystal, they actually have me extremely excited. The map looks cool, I like the new Pokemon I've seen so far, Digivolving (I mean, Mega Evolutions) seem like an interesting twist, and you can get one of the original starters before you've beaten every trainer in the game.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
My thoughts on X and Y summed up in a single statement: There are no brakes on this hype train. It just doesn't stop.

I loves me some Pokémon; I own every main game in the series, as well as most of the spinoffs. X and Y are not going to be exceptions. I'm super excited, because this next generation is really going to mix things up. They're introducing a new type for the first time since Gold and Silver. Fairy-type is gonna throw things out of whack, since it's effective against some of the most commonly-seen types in the metagame, being super effective on Dragon, Dark and Fighting, resistant to Fighting, Dark and Bug AND immune Dragon. It's also weak to two of the least-commonly seen offensive types, those being Poison and Steel. Fire, Steel and Poison resist it, as well, and while Steel didn't need a defensive buff, Poison and Fire certainly did.

A lot of the new Pokémon look awesome, especially the Fire-types. Fennekin is cool, but Talonflame and Pyroar are awesome. Gogoat is really cool, too, and so is Clauncher. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Mega Evolution is a pretty awesome idea. My only concern is that many Pokémon that don't need a Mega Evolution are getting one. Garchomp especially. That thing was too good before; it doesn't need to be any better. My prediction is that Mega Garchomp is gonna murder everything just by looking at it funny... But, the thing is, it comes at a price: Mega Pokémon have to sacrifice their hold item, as they need to hold their respective Mega Stone to Mega Evolve. Hopefully that ends up balancing them.

Last but certainly not least, character customization, finally! I don't really like the player characters' starting outfit, actually, and while ones from other games are alright (I particularly like Hilda's design, and Rosa's kinda grew on me), character customization would just make everything so much more... personal, y'know? (Before anyone asks, yes, I am male and I play as the female characters. Don't judge, man.)

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
It's 3D? Nostalgia. I love the concept, and it still holds up. I like nurturing a thing then sicking it on someone else's thing.

They won't let you do that with human kids for some reasons. Well, they do, but there's more football and less lighting. And lightning makes everything better.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
I like (perhaps love) Pokemon, but I haven't played one I enjoyed since Ruby/Sapphire and the original remakes. I've played a bit of Diamond and I wasn't impressed, I feel like they just can't recapture the magic of the early ones.
Maybe I'm just too old, but I think I'm done with Pokemon apart from the odd replay.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I went from red to diamond and found my interest in the series waned over the years I didn't play it. Can't really pinpoint why, to be honest.

However, I remember hearing about a turn based strategy Pokemon game that looked interesting, anyone know anything about it?

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
BoredRolePlayer said:
Robert Marrs said:
I will probably pick it up. Sure the core game is the same but there are enough improvements for me to justify a purchase. I have only played yellow, gold and black 2. Just got my 3ds this year. My main concern is difficulty. I remember yellow and gold really made you work for those gym badges. You had to prepare for fights and grind out levels. Pokemon black 2 was way to easy. I was beating gym leaders with pokemon several levels under theirs. It made the game kind of boring. If it turns out these are the same way they will probably be the last pokemon games I buy. At least give us some difficulty options.
Black 2 has a harder option for it just a fyi
But you have to earn hard mode. Its not just available right away. I don't want to have to beat a game once just so I can play how I want the second time.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
I've played Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Leaf Green, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, White, and White 2.

I loved Pokemon when it first came out and I love it now. Even though the core game is basically the same, each installment has added or changed enough to make each game fell fresh and new. There are lots of new and Pokemon I love and some I hate from all generations. X and Y look very promising and I'm counting down the days until I can get my hands on it.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Adultism said:
Well now that we have cleared that up, I should state I think gaming as a whole is failing because nothing being released besides the few original indie titles is new or original.

Sequels have worked for gaming since Ms. Pacman. Face it, gaming is an evolutionary media, just like books and movies people like follow ups to their favorite franchises. This whole "there are too many games in this franchise" schtick is getting a bit annoying, call out a game on it's quality, its originality (yes a sequel can be original), hell call it out for being fun.

Sure Pokemon sticks to a pretty strict style, but it's been steadily evolving, and given the amount of sales it seems like it works.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
-Dragmire- said:
I went from red to diamond and found my interest in the series waned over the years I didn't play it. Can't really pinpoint why, to be honest.

However, I remember hearing about a turn based strategy Pokemon game that looked interesting, anyone know anything about it?
Pokemon... is already turn-based? If not, I'm thinking you mean Pokemon Conquest. =P

OT- Why will I get it? Because I really love the multiplayer and the sense of adventure I get from playing them. It's a game that forces me to act like a kid and go on a adventure and take it like a kid, which is fresh for me in today's games.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well, the last pokemon game I bought was probably about 8 years ago so, for me, I'm not overloaded on the series.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
NiPah said:
Sure Pokemon sticks to a pretty strict style, but it's been steadily evolving, and given the amount of sales it seems like it works.
Sadly, it still hasn't evolved to include the ability to have more than one save file! T^T
This was mainly a problem in the games in which you couldn't rebattle trainers again and made it boring, but I never want to restart because I've usually put so much time into the game and have captured and trained so many Pokemon that I just can't part with them. That and I've still got my level 100 team I raised since Pokemon Ruby in the newer games, and they will be jumping to Y with me as well, as I never want to lose my Pokemon again.
*sheds tear for inability for me to transfer my first starter (Charizard) from Crystal to Ruby*

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I'm honestly seeing a lot of people saying 3D, about to make a thread about that.

DeadRise17

Feb 23, 2013
I missed the last Pokemon gen (Black and White) so I think I will have a lot more fun with the new Pokemon.

And it'll give a reason to use my 3DS's 3D feature.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
thesilentman said:
-Dragmire- said:

Pokemon... is already turn-based? If not, I'm thinking you mean Pokemon Conquest. =P

OT- Why will I get it? Because I really love the multiplayer and the sense of adventure I get from playing them. It's a game that forces me to act like a kid and go on a adventure and take it like a kid, which is fresh for me in today's games.
Yes, that's the one, thanks. I'm surprised it's out already, have you tried it?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I've never bought a Pokemon game in my life.

It's nice knowing something so gargantuan can have absolutely no impact on me whatsoever.
Couldn't agree with you more here.

As with you, I don't get the appeal at all. There is a similar "pokemonish" game in WoW, but I haven't played it yet and I doubt I will in the future.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Because I always do, and I always do because I always end up enjoying them. Playing through this one should be really interesting provided in the next month they don't go and ruin it by revealing every new Pokemon before the game hits the shelves.

It will be a true adventure, like the good old days. I'll be curious about the grass, I'll see a trainer with an unseen Pokemon, I'll check my Pokedex to see where I can find it, and I might not be able to guess its type so there's more to be found there.

My decisions will be so spontaneous, I might end up like a gym leader, training multiple Pokemon of the same type, our of sheer curiosity as to the evolutionary lines of my favourite type: Bug.

But not Vivillon. Too many butterflies.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Adultism said:
So why are you going to get the "new" pokemon game?
Because I've enjoyed the previous installments, and X & Y are adding a shit ton of new stuff.

Full 3D.
-with diagonal movement!
Pokémon riding.
Mega Evolutions.
The new Fairy Type (which comes with a rebalancing of the type chart).
The new Pokémon (which are looking pretty good).
As Black and White have shown, probably a more meaningful story than "beat the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four yay." I'm very interested in how Team Flare works, and what Mega Evolutions have to do with the plot.

I think at Gen IV I was wondering why I kept coming back, because Diamond and Pearl were kind of stale to me. But Gen V reinvigorated my love for the franchise, and now I'm super stoked for Gen VI and all the new that's happening.
SirBryghtside said:
I'm not sure how it works, but I think you can do that on the 3DS - I think you have the option to save to an SD card or something :)
With the Pokémon Bank, you can send your entire roster away (barring one because gameplay rules), start a new file and import them.

Though I do hope they allow me to store 'mon in my SD card.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I'm getting it because the 3D is the first significant step they've taken in a pokemon game since color although the only pokemon games I've bought are pokemon shadow coliseum, red, and ruby.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I won't be buying into X or Y, at least not yet. I'm still playing through HeartGold, and when that's finished, Ruby and FireRed before I consider jumping into another Pokémon game.

Looks fun though. And those Mega Evolutions sure are tempting.