Poll: Will you upgrade immediatly?

Jun 11, 2008
No I plan on getting a cheap version of the Wii and the PS 3 and playing exclusives that I missed and waiting for the price of new gen consoles to drop and the PSP and DSlite. That and I also play on PC. After the horrendous prices of launch games and consoles along with their failure rates I am gonna bide my time and stick to PC and those other options.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I will upgrade once they stop making any interesting games for the current consoles. As for which one I will buy, I'll probably get a PS4 and after the price drop. (wasn't the PS3 $600 at launch? I got mine a few years ago for $250)

Also, I'll wait for a bit and see what console has the better exclusives and even than, most of them this gen didn't interest me.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I probably won't buy the PS4 or Xbox 720 right away and depending on whether the used game rumor is true, I'll probably just abandon the Xbox consoles entirely.

I will probably get the WiiU on release though, as I've skipped Nintendo and all the interesting Wii games this generation. So yeah, PS4, WiiU and PC for me.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Likely not. However, they'd most likely be released around the time I graduate and actually earn a nice income, so it might happen. Unless the hardware problems are just that goddamn silly.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
DustyDrB said:
Unless it has a library that meets my quota (12 games that I can't play on another system) right off the bat, no. I never saw the point in early adoption, especially when launch libraries are generally lackluster.
Pretty much nailed it for me.

Buying a new console these days is a tremendous investment for me. I won't ever buy one not being reasonably sure that I'm going to spend a certain amount of time using it to make it worthwhile.

Not to mention that, when I finally had the money to buy a really up-to-date gaming PC a while back, I've been becoming a PC gamer more and more. So if I want to buy a new console, let alone one on it's launch date, it'll have to offer me some pretty awesome things.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I don't think I will upgrade ever. I have more than enough games that I love to play on the console I have now, and I can't even really afford the games anymore, let alone a new console. Not when I have other forms of entertainment that I enjoy more to spend money on. Not to mention food and rent.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Considering the launch titles for Wii U so far I will have no reason to get it on launch day so I'll probably wait and see if it drops in price before some games I'm interested in are out. Can't say anything about PS3/XBOX 720 yet.

Edit: PS4*

ParadiseOnceLost

Jan 26, 2010
Depends Right now I have no desire to get the Wii U, so that is off the table. My plan is to wait about a year to get the upgrade to the 360, but if the PS4 is announced to have backwards compatibility I might get it on launch or soon after just so I can play all the PS3 games I have missed and place the 360 successor on the back burner for a little longer.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I play games as they come out so i have to.

Depends entirely on where my friends go but since non of them have ps3's we're probably going xbox.
Speaking of pc's, probably won't be getting windows 8.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
haha! I can keep my PC to play newer games while YOU guys have to upgrade! haha!
just joking but I won,t get the new xbox/PS/WII but I,m cool if anybody else is getting one.
I MIGHT pickup a xbox 720 controller if it works under PC and is different enough from the 360 controller.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Nope. PC gamer here. I might get a last gen console to play the big games that were never released on PC. Both games and consoles will be a lot cheaper when next gen is released. There is no point in getting it now since there aren't more than 20 games I would play.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm a PC gamer, but I would blatantly lie if I said that I don't care, I'm curious to see what will bring the newest generation, but no, I certainly wouldn't upgrade immediatly, but I do need to upgrade my PC urgently.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I got the Gamecube and Game Boy Advance on release day. I imported the DS from Canada long before the European release.

I had the Wii pre-ordered, but had to surrender that to my brother when I unexpectedly moved abroad for a couple of months.

Other than that, though, I've always had an "as soon as possible, depending on the games" attitude, and that's what I'm keeping for the upcoming consoles as well. I don't even have an Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3 yet, since most of the games I'd want for them also have PC releases. I also don't have a 3DS yet, but that's mostly because it would be grossly irresponsible of me to purchase new hardware right now, but due to my crappy economy and my enormous backlog of cheaply purchased games.

But, yeah, I'll probably try to get the Wii U as soon as possible, and then I'll wait and see how things go with Sony and Microsoft's inevitable new consoles... as well as upgrading my PC, but that is unlikely to happen for at least another year or three.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Ill wait until the new system has games worth playing before i upgrade but i doubt we'll see another system for at least another few years on account of there being many big games getting released on the current systems soon. I doubt they would have these games release and then degrade their selling power by releasing or even announcing a new system. However i would be interested to see what they can do with a new system since the change in graphics may be greater right away than it has been in previous upgrades on account of the systems life cycles being not nearly as long as this most recent generation. I think we'll see a new system released around mid to late 2014. PC gamers should care as this will mean graphics will be pushed miles ahead for you as games wont need to hold themselves back nearly as much to function on the current systems. Mind you the nice thing about consoles is that they keep specs reasonable as the games on pc need to be atleast mostly similar to their console counterparts which are usually the main release with the pc being seen as some sort of sideshow.

And 720 is such a stupid name. What will the succeeding console be named after that the 1080?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
It's just not worth it to buy a console right out of the gate. It's the point in time when it has the least available games and is the most expensive. Top it off with my library of physical games has gotten smaller and smaller ever since the days of the N64, that a majority of the games I want to play get PC ports available on Steam anyway, and that my PS3 is a black brick I have all of three games for (God of War 3, and Little Big Planet 1 & 2, just not alot on it that interests me I can't get on the 360); I think I will be a late adopter for the Xbox 720 and will only be picking up a PS4 when they eventually release Kingdom Hearts 3.

I was a die-hard console fan up until a year or two ago. PC gaming just works better for me than consoles do now. It's not inherently better or worse, I still play my games on the PC using a 360 controller, it's just a far more convenient alternative to having multiple consoles take up space. The biggest downside I find is the DRM on some games. I found myself seriously considering hunting down a cracked version when I found out my copy of Arkham City came with limited installs. That's just bullshit in my book, especially since I bought it on Steam. I bought a copy of the game, I should be able to install it as many times as I damn well please.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
What's the point of buying the console if the start line up sucks? I'll wait and see what games will be released before I decide, otherwise I'll wait untill the initial hype is over and the price goes down.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'll upgrade eventually but I definitely won't be at launch date. My PS3 still has a long life ahead. :)

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Oh hell no.

The next gen console will not replace my current gen, it'll be an addition, and I wont't adopt immediately.

I'll play it when I visit the friends and family that I know who will adopt immediately.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I bought my PS3 last year so, heck no lol
Plus, I am not rich sadly so :(
Guess I wait for a major price drop.