Poll: Would you date a transgendered person?

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Versuvius said:
*snip*
Gender duality doesn't exist but theres a sliding scale of masculine and femenine which can be considered a ratio. It's like saying gay people are just lying to themselves about what they are and pretending.
Please provide further arguments for the sliding scale of gender. I understand that people can be more masculine or feminine (please use auto correct), but that does not affect their gender. Masculine men and feminine men are both male. Sexual orientation does not have to do with gender. Homosexual and heterosexual men are both male, and both can be feminine or masculine. As of yet I see no argument that would change one's classification from male to female.

Indeed it appears you can't stand anyone having a different view from yours, and you are being immature, inconsiderate and obnoxious.
Please, have a different view. Have a happy life. Go have sex with whoever you want, marry whoever you want. It's your life. I am not trying to impose my opinion over others, and in comparison to my opposition I have been far more tolerant and mature than them.
I am only debating the argument that transgender people are not the sex of which they identify. A male is always male. His cultural identification does not change it, nor does his sexual orientation. Nor does his masculinity or femininity. There are all kinds of men and women, but men and women they are.

What you accused Montezuma's Lawyer of doing is exactly what you just did, making everything you have said as invalid as anything else. I may disagree or have my own views, but i am neither gay or a transgender, and i expect neither are you, nor have you done any serious scientific study into the area, in neurology or i expect biology deeper than photosynthesis.
Again with the random judgment. I've studied biology extensively, and I have a deep interest in psychology. I do not declare myself an expert in either field, but as of yet I have not encountered an argument beyond the scope of what I know.
Biology is an interesting thing as there is no defined rule for anything that is absolute and exceptions always exist, right down to the ratio of various hormones that control gender and how the mind is wired for gender.
Ah! And now we come to the crux of the argument. I do not agree that there is no defined rule for anything in biology, nor that nothing is absolute. Many things are not, and the biology as a science would not work without these absolutes, but some biological topics are as you say not set in stone. But that is not the crux.
The crux is that the brain is not wired for gender. Now the ratio of hormones in your body does affect your sex, just as your DNA has a large say in it. Biology is very messy, because we like to categorize life which doesn't care about our categories. Hermaphrodites are of course an example of how sex isn't just XX and XY.
Femininity and masculinity does not affect your gender. Your brain is not pre-wired for a specific gender, and there is no evidence for this.

If a man undergoes the operation and lives a much happier, fuller life how they want...how can you call them out on it and call them false pretenders and not be offensive?
Again, I'm not against them having a happy life. I wish for them to have a happy life. Live it however you want. When it comes to the philosophical and scientific issue of their gender, they are still male. They have not changed it.
I'm equally happy for people who undergo operations to look like cats, lizards, or vampires. They understand that they are not cats, lizards, or vampires. Society does not need to treat them like cats, lizards or vampires. They can of course believe whatever they want, but there is no scientific evidence that a transgender person is of another gender. They are men who culturally identify with female culture, probably rather feminine (but there are women who are very masculine, so it would be unfair of me to say that all transgender males are feminine in their mannerisms). None of these people should be discriminated against, but none of them have changed their gender, sex or species.

You are the kind of person that propagates your bullshit Black and White argument with people who agree with your argument, it's called LikeThink and it doesn't make it any less Bullshit.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say... So i only argue with people who agree with me? Well that's not true. I'm trying to argue with you, debate and come to some sort of conclusion, either where I'm wrong, you are wrong, or we both agree that we need more evidence.

Enjoy the utter contempt anybody who isn't a bigot will look at you with.
Because believing that no transgender person should be discriminated against is bigoted, right? (In case my opinion isn't clear: TRANSGENDER PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE TOO AND SHOULD NOT BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST IN ANY MANNER OR FORM. THEY HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELSE, AND SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PURSUE A HAPPY LIFE).
I'm only debating that a transgender male does not qualify as a female. He is a transgender male, not a female who was once male. You can have loads of different types of males, with varying sexual orientations, varying degrees of masculinity and femininity, varying beliefs and opinions, different in almost every way. All of them are men.
For all those comparing me to thinking that black people are inferior to whites, I disagree. My argument is on the same level as saying that skin color affects how much the sun burns you.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Da_Vane said:
Scorekeeper said:
Male here. I would NOT date a MTF (or FTM for that matter). Romance is out of the question if my significant other has a Y chromosome. Nothing personal.
You might want to check quite a few women then - the XXY genetic mutation actually results in females...
False- Y is dominant over double XX. XXY results in males.

ezaviel

Mar 26, 2011
Kendarik said:
Melanie McGreevey said:
Only very recently it was declassified as a mental illness. So irregardless as to what it "fits into" it's not a mental disorder anymore. BDD could be anyone who has a body life after loosing weight, or a face lift that changed their appearance. or breast augmentation, to me those are all drastic.
Actually if you read the definition they wouldn't fit. The fact that they have to specifically state "except for GR surgery" and they don't have to for the rest shows even the authors were clear that GR fit into the BDD definition, or should have if not for current trends.
We don't consider it a "trend", we consider it to be a different issue.

To quote the DSM IV:
"here the concern is secondary to the patient?s conviction either that he is actually a female and that his penis is a mistake or, conversely, that she is actually a male and that her breasts are a mistake."

You make it sound like the DSM is just trying to be PC about the issue. Which is not the case.

/is a registered psychologist

Stephanos132

Sep 7, 2009
If they were upfront about it, I'd be polite but I would not pursue it any further. Such matters are not to my tastes.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Da_Vane said:
Grr! Argh!
The Opinion Police strikes again!

I'm not bigotted, unlike a bigot I'm willing to read what people have to say; but I completely reserve the right to listen to what you have to say AND reject it as unscientific, or biased, or whatever.

At the moment, the trans-acceptance argument seems to hinge not on scientific issues but on social issues. "I'm a woman now, play along with my fantasy or I'll be offended at you!" And you know what? Nine times out of ten, I'd probably find myself "playing along" out of courtesy. I'm not a complete monster in real life, I don't take it upon myself to crush people's harmess delusions (whether it's Santa Claus, God, or pretending to be a woman). But when push comes to shove, I just CAN'T reconcile it within myself to say that black is white and up is down just for the sake of ingratiating myself with the most liberal-thinking member of the group. Like I said, if that offends you, I'm sorry - but as you correctly deduced, I'm also unapologetic about my position.

Counter-example: If I painted myself dark brown and started speaking with a Nigerian accent, that wouldn't make me African. If people pointed out that I was a deluded white geek with make-up they wouldn't be wrong, or bigotted, or hateful, or insecure in their own race. And what's more, I could be offended til the cows come home, and I still wouldn't be African.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
ploppytheman said:
It is obviously a problem. Any evolutionary benefit homosexuality may have had, and it may not have even had any, is no longer relevant. People are too stuck in their PC mindset to step outside and look at what they are. And deviation from heterosexuality is an error and should be fixed. People argue about gay rights when in reality the problem IS homosexuality.

I mean you say its not a choice, your born that way, so its obviously something that can be fixed when we find the right variables. But this generation is too engrained in PC and afraid to think so maybe the next generation will realize, hey, this is not how my body is supposed to work and I would like it to be fixed, what can we do about this? People make homosexuality who they are rather than a part of them, so they can never let go of it.

Doesn't matter really, I mean how many people who are afflicted by this would take a pill to stop it? I'm sure a lot of people hate they are homosexual or w/e. And in 50yrs once people stop being PC retards they will find a cure for it and this will be archived in libraries where few people even know about. I'd almost be willing to vote for gay rights to accelerate the process.
Alright lets deal with this.

Why is it a problem? A lot of things have NO evolutionary benefit, you liking ANYTHING that isnt food, sex, shelter or science has NO evolutionary benefit. Why does liking firefly help you? It doesnt. It isnt helpfull to the species so you shouldnt like it. Apparently.

Homosexuality ISNT a problem at all. You can see it as an error sure but WHY does it need to be fixed. Why? What is SO URGENT about making sure we maximise the number of sexuality active members in our now HUGELY RISING population? Why is it an issue we dont have enough? For it to be a problem it needs to cause HARM. Outline the HARM it does.

My friends who are gay LIKE being gay and thats awesome! Who CARES if he likes it? Why do YOU? Why do you care at all? Why not let him be happy with who he is and stop talking about it like homosexuality is going to cause society to come crashing down around us? Why does it hurt you so?

I am no PC retard. I just KNOW that in a modern free society people should be allowed to be who they are and be happy with it without being told they are a "problem" irrationally by bigots hiding behind the flimsey rhetoric of "PC" to make up for their lack of conviction behind a hateful and intollerent point of view.

And suddenly YOU define how a body is MEANT to work? What is "right" to be? Is it "RIGHT" to be white? Black? Have blue eyes? Whats RIGHT for my body to be? Its not up to you to decide how we should ALL be like according to your perfect arian standards of what humans should be. And thank fuck for that. People can be whatever they want. The only reason we are fighting errors like downs syndrome and bad eyesight is because people dont LIKE having these things. People LIKE being gay. A good error? Impossible, its a good thing for someone to be happy with what they are.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Angry Juju said:
If you're born as a male then feel like you should be a female, you're the one choosing to change into a female so it is essentially a lifestyle choice, in the same way homosexuality is. oh and before you say i'm insulting anyone else, I love people for who they truly are, regardless of gender. I just feel that someone who is transgender isn't completely true.
I love people for who they truly are, but dismiss serious issues as "lifestyle choices" anyway.

Huh. Kinda incongruous.

Now if you want to argue about this then please argue about it to someone else.
"Hey guys, don't point out that what I'm saying is ridiculous."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ploppytheman said:
People are too stuck in their PC mindset to step outside and look at what they are. And deviation from heterosexuality is an error and should be fixed. People argue about gay rights when in reality the problem IS homosexuality.
I love trotting out the PC bogeyman as a pre-emptive strike right before saying something that really is closed-minded and bigoted. Sorry, man, I'm sure you believe it, but disagreeing with you is not inherently PC.

We're not a PC culture, we're a borderline sociopath culture. Sorry.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
I could not. Unless I didn't know that my partner was trans, but that wouldn't really be a healthy relationship, would it?

Regardless, love works in strange ways and an exception could always be made.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with being trans, sure, it may even be an 'illness' or whatever, but that doesn't make it any less real. Plus it's uncurable and the change in gender doesn't harm anyone so I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Ledan said:
Reading through this forum, I consistently see the argument: "I was born with a y brain into an x body". We both agree this is not a factual statement. I fully agree that they are identifying with the cultural/social construct of the gender their biological sex isn't. There is nothing wrong with that.
Actually it is a factual statement, Those brain imaging things showed that a transgendered persons brain reacts to stimuli in the same way as the gender they identify with rather then their birth gender.

Just throwing that out there. >.>

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
i am not really sure, as the only mtf i know is a friend of mine
but i *could* imagine that if a woman "turns out" to be a mtf, and she was interesting and i liked her and all before i got to know that, why not.
not sure about it, but hell.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
xmbts said:
Ledan said:
Reading through this forum, I consistently see the argument: "I was born with a y brain into an x body". We both agree this is not a factual statement. I fully agree that they are identifying with the cultural/social construct of the gender their biological sex isn't. There is nothing wrong with that.
Actually it is a factual statement, Those brain imaging things showed that a transgendered persons brain reacts to stimuli in the same way as the gender they identify with rather then their birth gender.

Just throwing that out there. >.>
Watch where you're throwing, you almost hit me!

...But as long as we're throwing stuff...

*Throws a year's worth of hugs at you* ^-^

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
crudus said:
No, without question. I could not do it. The fact that someone used to be a dude/chick is literally the only thought going through my head when I meet a transsexual. It isn't something I can get passed. I don't know why. I am a terrible person >.>

I like to think myself an open-minded person, but I clearly hit the limits of that quickly.
That doesn't make you a terrible person. You can't expect people to be completely open-minded about something as strange as gender changes since it's not something you generally encounter on a daily basis.